PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Patriots Official Postgame Thread: Week - 14 NE @ PIT

Immediate Postgame Reactions
They should take a QB anyway, even if Zappe plays great. You can't assume he will continue to improve and you don't leave it to chance.

BB drafted Mac, he also drafted Zappe a year later... keep drafting until you get it right.
My point is wins is the most important stat for QB. Go ask Brock Purdy. If Zapp continues to play well, and be the reason the team wins or has a chance to win then the organization will probably do thier due diligence come draft time. Yes I agree a QB should be taken now you have 3 QBs on the roster on rookie deals.

I want the guy with the killer instinct, the confidence that he can make the play and not playing scared. Right now to me Mac's going to be traded. His time is over in NE is done matter what.

The real problem is he is not a good fit for the NFL.

The game is too fast for him. He can’t process fast enough to read the defense, call blocking, run his progressions, and deliver the ball on time. He doesn’t play his best when the lights are brightest, he freezes in the spotlight like a deer in the headlights.

That’s not the result of poor coaching or poor development. It is what he is.

It’s too bad, really. At ‘Bama it didn’t matter. College game isn’t as fast, and he was sheltered from the storm by an elite college roster that matched or surpassed any opponent he faced. NFL is faster and more competitive. He’s just not up to it. It’s true, you can’t coach size. And it’s also true you can’t coach speed, whether it’s speed afoot or speed of thought. Unfortunately the latter is McCorkle’s Achilles Heel.
My big question relates to the mental side of things. As we probably all know by know, TB12 saw sports psychologist Greg Harden in college to deal with crap and it made a profound difference in his life, ihho. I wonder if Mac's already been seeing someone and if not, if he's serious in his future, McEnroe's gotta try it out to work on whatever issues he's got going on.

----

Former Michigan coach Lloyd Carr told Brady that he should stay with the Wolverines, saying he believed the young quarterback could become a good player.

The Buccaneers quarterback choked up when talking about sports psychologist Greg Harden, who helped transform his personality and outlook on life.

"I started working with a psychologist who was really an amazing influence on my life," Brady said of Harden.

"It's a little emotional because it was a very vulnerable time in my life because I was questioning who I was. I had gone from [growing up in] California to Michigan. I was a long way from home in a different environment. "[Harden] helped me kind of grow up from this kid in California to being more of a man and being on my own and taking more personal responsibility for my life. He wasn't going to let me be a victim." Brady said Harden helped him shift his mind from complaining to giving more effort with his limited practice repetitions. Brady turned those chances into more opportunities and eventually became the Wolverines' starting quarterback. He told Stern he now considers Harden a great friend. Harden is now the senior executive athletic director and director of athletic counseling at Michigan.

I know.. Mac and the organization will likely part ways. He deserves another shot somewhere else. I don't know why I keep feeling like he's going to be traded to the 49ers.
When you say “he deserves another shot somewhere” do you mean because he’s shown such talent and poise as an NFL quarterback that he deserves to be picked up elsewhere?

There’s not really a lot of teams out there just itching to stack up a measly 2 win season by mid-December.

Mac is not getting signed to another job in the NFL as the starter. He’s on the bench next season as somebody’s backup.

Nobody is in the market to waste their entire season.

Honestly wonder if there will be betting odds on who (Patriots or Jets) can unload their QBs (Mac and Zach) on someone first. My money would be on Zach.

Last edited:
When you say “he deserves another shot somewhere” do you mean because he’s shown such talent and poise as an NFL quarterback that he deserves to be picked up elsewhere?

There’s not really a lot of teams out there just itching to stack up a measly 2 win season by mid-December.

Mac is not getting signed to another job in the NFL as the starter. He’s on the bench next season as somebody’s backup.

Nobody is in the market to waste their entire season.
To clarify, some players just don't fit the program or just the demands, and rigors of the patriots organization isn't for everyone. To me it's ok, we drafted a QB, he show promise his rookie year and he hasn't worked out. I think he gets traded in the Offseason somewhere. Where ever he goes he'll likely get an opportunity to play be a backup or who knows a starter even. Not every player works out sometimes you have to go to grow in life.

I think too many fans are taking this "one or the other" type approach. Mac Jones clearly failed by his own accords and I think its clear that he cannot handle adversity whether it be during the game or just the situation around him.

at the same time, it is also fair to question giving him a DC/OC, average receivers (they are what they are). and a line that isn't very good. those are all POOR decisions on Bill's part and not how you should support having a QB on a rookie deal.

Now, zappe has made the best of that poor/average situation in 2 season now. standing in the pocket, taking the hits and the coaching. While mac has not handled it well.

But one doesn't preclude the other from being true. I don't think all the stories that came out of last season about Patricia/Judge having no clue from many sources/players within the organization was false.

I also think its a cautionary tale because if we get a high pick and draft a QB this year NO ONE should want them to handle them the same way.
I think there's a lingering question as to whether there are so many moving parts you have to ask, post-Brady, does New England just break QBs?
WITH Brady, NE was infinitely malleable - no experiment was beyond their ability. You have to wonder whether that same virtue just became a vice because mere mortals were thrust into that role.

In other words, it might be "Mac Jones was not an NFL QB," but given other MJ career points (college career, first year adequacy as a pro) it might be "we broke Mac Jones" but it might additionally be, "Will we continue to break quarterbacks." Dr. Doom over here.

Here's to a 400-yard, 5-TD next week from Zappe, just so we know we got something heah. :D

I think there's a lingering question as to whether there are so many moving parts you have to ask, post-Brady, does New England just break QBs?
WITH Brady, NE was infinitely malleable - no experiment was beyond their ability. You have to wonder whether that same virtue just became a vice because mere mortals were thrust into that role.

In other words, it might be "Mac Jones was not an NFL QB," but given other MJ career points (college career, first year adequacy as a pro) it might be "we broke Mac Jones" but it might additionally be, "Will we continue to break quarterbacks." Dr. Doom over here.

Here's to a 400-yard, 5-TD next week from Zappe, just so we know we got something heah. :D
For NEP QBs post Brady, the sample size is two. Three if you include Zappe.

Did the Patriots break Cam Newton? No.

Did the Patriots break Mac Jones? Maybe, some argue yes some argue no.

Did the Patriots break Bailey Zappe? No.

I submit the evidence shows that at most the Patriots broke one of the two or three. That is at most, and it’s arguable that Mac was not broken by the Patriots in which case it would be none were broken by them.

Question: Did Mac Jones dress for the Steelers game or was he present in street clothes? Or did they just have him stay at home?

I don't remember seeing him once on camera during the broadcast. It would seem like they would show him every time Zappe did something wrong or at least talk more about him.

(I asked this last week and nobody chimed in)

I submit the evidence shows that at most the Patriots broke one of the two or three. That is at most, and it’s arguable that Mac was not broken by the Patriots in which case it would be none were broken by them.
I really should have phrased it, "will NE just break QBs." If you read the rest of my post, that's the idea. I.e., given - and it does have to be given, it's not proven - given that NE broke Jones, is it possible that there are expectations on a NE QB that it's not realistic to expect. For example, patchwork O-line, the coaching cluster last year, etc. Are we coming out of the chaos, or can we expect more 3-dimensional chess that just didn't pan out, with the expectation that a QB will hold together an offense?
Or, as I like to believe RIGHT NOW, is it just a matter of benching or moving the "bum"?

I am bearing in mind that Zappe has a history of looking good once or twice then making the football equivalent of that noise in pacman when the ghost gets you.

Question: Did Mac Jones dress for the Steelers game or was he present in street clothes? Or did they just have him stay at home?

I don't remember seeing him once on camera during the broadcast. It would seem like they would show him every time Zappe did something wrong or at least talk more about him.

He was dressed in uniform.

On the sideline in uniform.

They should take a QB anyway, even if Zappe plays great. You can't assume he will continue to improve and you don't leave it to chance.

BB drafted Mac, he also drafted Zappe a year later... keep drafting until you get it right.
He did it every year even with Brady. Don't see why he would stop now.

He was on the sidelines, walking up and down. Didn't seem to be involved in the game at all.

It's possible that they broke Jones but it doesn't matter now. They can't unbreak him or they would have already. He is done in NE. Hopefully they can get something half decent for him in a trade.

I like Zappe. He moves well in the pocket, he has a decent arm, seems to manage the offense effectively. But one or even five games doesn't determine if he should be our QB of the future. Draft a QB every year. If we draft someone high in the 1 spot it's up to Zappe to maintain the position or give way. Clearly, we went to long with Mac. Maybe Zappe could have been our QB all last year and come into this year with experience. Defenses will adjust, he will learn. Whether he becomes our starter of the future, who knows. I like his demeanor, and he is the best we have now.

I like Zappe. He moves well in the pocket, he has a decent arm, seems to manage the offense effectively. But one or even five games doesn't determine if he should be our QB of the future. Draft a QB every year. If we draft someone high in the 1 spot it's up to Zappe to maintain the position or give way. Clearly, we went to long with Mac. Maybe Zappe could have been our QB all last year and come into this year with experience. Defenses will adjust, he will learn. Whether he becomes our starter of the future, who knows. I like his demeanor, and he is the best we have now.
Agreed, I'm not saying he's the starter of the future. Let's see how he finishes this season and if he does well bring him back next season to compete with a draft pick. You never put all your eggs in one basket.

Just my 2 cents. Either you need the guys around a QB or that QB just has to be electric like CJ stroud or Allen, Mahomes. But you need talent! The NFL is about talent and how that talents coached up. Mahomes was able to withstand it last season, but now it's caught up up them. If he had the cheetah they blow out the bills yesterday. It's all on tape. Thier WRs have the most drops in the NFL. Clearly patty mahomes was frustrated about it. Not the reffs.. Zapp is playing fearless and oozes confidence. He clearly does not have the guys around him.. however he put the ball in places where guys could make a play. If he continues to play well then the team will Invest in him I believe.

Just my 2 cents. Either you need the guys around a QB or that QB just has to be electric like CJ stroud or Allen, Mahomes. But you need talent! The NFL is about talent and how that talents coached up. Mahomes was able to withstand it last season, but now it's caught up up them. If he had the cheetah they blow out the bills yesterday. It's all on tape. Thier WRs have the most drops in the NFL. Clearly patty mahomes was frustrated about it. Not the reffs.. Zapp is playing fearless and oozes confidence. He clearly does not have the guys around him.. however he put the ball in places where guys could make a play. If he continues to play well then the team will Invest in him I believe.
The difference between the Chiefs last year and this year are stark, for the first half of this season they ranked 32nd in turnovers... nobody gave the ball to the opponent more than the Chiefs. Now they rank 26th worst at it, so they're slowly crawling back but they're still to mistake prone.

They also rank 7th in the NFL in penalties, they make dumb boneheaded plays... like we saw last night on what was not a controversial call at all. You can't lead the league in turnovers and penalties and sustain winning.

They won a ring last year without Tyreek, they're not losing now because they miss him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back