PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 Season Grades

archstanton543

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
QB - D+ - Both QB's were hampered by a bad Oline, bad WR's and mediocre TE's. Both weren't great. Zappe was a slight upgrade from Mac.
OL - D - IMO, the biggest problem with the offense this year. Yes they had injuries but new acquisitions didn't come close to delivering. Relied way too much on mid-round rookies.
RB - B - Zeke was a nice surprise but they relied too heavily on him when Rham went down. No depth at the position. Guys ran hard, though
TE - C+ - Gieseki was a non-factor. Brown outside of a few highlight reel catches was average. Henry keeps this grade from being lower. Hopefully they can bring him back.
WR - C - Pop and Bourne keep this from being lower. Thornton is a bust. Parker is who he is as this point. Juju was a mistake. Not great.

DL - A- - League's best run defense and okay at generating QB pressures
LB - A- - I though that these guys wouldn't be able to generate sacks without Judon. I was wrong. Solid unit with some promise for the future
S - B+ - Peppers had a fantastic season. Dugger had another solid season.
DB - B- - Lot of drama and injury from this unit. That being said, they had an okay season. They were able to survive the loss of Gonzo early and made plays when they had to.

ST - C- - The rookie punter was up and down. The rookie kicker was way down. I love Schooler's energy but he needs to channel it constructively. Slater was showing his age a bit but was more or less his normal self.

Coaching - D - This was hard to grade since the defense was really good but you can't have the league's worst offense and not have that reflected in the grade. If the report was true, there was a lot of power struggles, cliques and dysfunction on the offense and it showed. Again the grade may seem low but when you go 4-13, it has to be. BB said that if things don't work out to blame him. Here you go, Bill.

Last edited:
DB did so much with so little.....between injuries and mental health and plain poor behavior, they got it done with smoke and mirrors...huge props to brian B and mike pellegrino for the work they did with this unit

ST was generous......I am ok with a bumpy road for a rookie kicker, but the coverage was piss poor, and someone needs to coach up marcus jones on actually catching punts; solid returner, poor decision making....achord needs to go

i also disagree with zappe being any sort of upgrade.....the more he played the more it became apparent just why no one claimed him.....virtually every number was worse, and OL play was better at the end of the year than at the beginning

WR are bad....bourne was the lone bright spot.....Pop made dynamic plays, but he runs routes and plays the position like a 6th round pick, and showed little improvement in that regard.......love troy brown, but he should be packing along with achord

Last edited:
I thought Barmore had a great season and is now an elite player in the legaue. Agree that Peppers played will too. Gonzalez was looking like the real deal before he got hurt.

Neither kicker was an upgrade over the guys they replaced.

Losing Judon sucked, still the best player on the team.

Should have traded Uche when they had a chance, he was a complete non factor all year.

I thought that Jennings and Wilson played well.

Mapu was over his head and was (stop me if you've heard this before) another small school player overdrafted by BB.

QB is the biggest need, I'm not sold on either Williams or Maye (keep thinking Trubisky). If you need to know how bad the ACC as a conference is, take a look at what Georgia (missing a lot of players) did to the undefeated ACC champs.

I say take Harrison JR (if he is still there) or trade down and or grab an elite LT.

What grade does the GM get? F or F-?

QB - D+ - Both QB's were hampered by a bad Oline, bad WR's and mediocre TE's. Both weren't great. Zappe was a slight upgrade from Mac.
OL - D - IMO, the biggest problem with the offense this year. Yes they had injuries but new acquisitions didn't come close to delivering. Relied way too much on mid-round rookies.
RB - B - Zeke was a nice surprise but they relied too heavily on him when Rham went down. No depth at the position. Guys ran hard, though
TE - C+ - Gieseki was a non-factor. Brown outside of a few highlight reel catches was average. Henry keeps this grade from being lower. Hopefully they can bring him back.

LB - A- - I though that these guys wouldn't be able to generate sacks without Judon. I was wrong. Solid unit with some promise for the future
DB - B- - Lot of drama and injury from this unit. That being said, they had an okay season. They were able to survive the loss of Gonzo early and made plays when they had to.

ST - C- - The rookie punter was up and down. The rookie kicker was way down. I love Schooler's energy but he needs to channel it constructively. Slater was showing his age a bit but was more or less his normal self.

Coaching - D - This was hard to grade since the defense was really good but you can't have the league's worst offense and not have that reflected in the grade. If the report was true, there was a lot of power struggles, cliques and dysfunction on the offense and it showed. Again the grade may seem low but when you go 4-13, it has to be. BB said that if things don't work out to blame him. Here you go, Bill.
Sounds about right.

Maybe I'd go a bit lower on running back and ST should be a D. Coaching D minus.

WR - C - Pop and Bourne keep this from being lower. Thornton is a bust. Parker is who he is as this point. Juju was a mistake. Not great.

Pretty much spot on.

1. Schooler has that "**** you" energy I enjoy, but would have been more appropriate on other iterations of this team (2007 and 2016 come to mind)
2. Dugger was asked to work outside his comfort zone this year and did alright. Hope he stays.
3. Coaching is a tough grade, but you balanced it as well as you could.
4. Barmore...we have to lock this guy up long-term

OK for the grades for the defense.
===============
I would give the defensive coaches an A or an A- at least, so overall coaching can't really be a D.
=============`
I would put the WR's down a notch. After all, our #3 WR Bourne was only productive for part of the year.
=========
OFFENSIVE LINE
1) I strongly disagree that this was the worst unit. QB play was far worse. The QB play was arguably the worst in the entire NFL, certainly close.

let us separate the positions
LT - I'm OK with a D here
LG - Strange is a C, who would play better with a better LT next to him. Mafi was an OK backup.
C - Andrews isn't what he used to be, but his play is still worthy of a C
RG - When Onwenu was there, this was at least a B, with Sow, perhaps a C or C-
RT - When Onwenu there this was at least a C, otherwise an F, so I'm fine with a D

BOTTOM LINE
OC - C
OG - C
OT - D

Last edited:

Pretty fair overall although I think you graded the RBs a tad high, as a unit I'd give them a C+. People can quibble over which was worse between QB and OL. This somewhat becomes a chicken or egg question, but OL is the foundation to everything that happens offensively via the run (opening holes) and pass (giving plays a chance to develop). I think calling them the team's worst unit is accurate. Lack of depth and continuity were problems all season despite Andrews and Onwenu holding their own.

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious debacle on the O side, ST's are right up there. Joe Judge, a supposed genius on this area crapped the bed big time, over the years this team has always done this well, this year they looked terrible. The rookie punter was fine, the place kicker sucked and overall the St's looked confused and discombobulated.. I do not recall the ST's forcing a turnover.

RB - C because there wasn’t a legit 3rd down back as vrabelJr pointed out.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back