PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 2: Patriots Lose to Dolphins 24-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Bill the Coach's team has 9 wins in their last 24 games. The quarterbacks they've beaten....Rookie Trevor Lawrence, Mitch Trubisky, Jared Goff, Jacoby Brissett, Zach Wilson (2x), Sam Ehlinger, Colt McCoy, and the two head monster of Teddy Bridgewater and Skylar Thomspon.
That's a season and a half of football....and folks think, magically, Bill the Coach is going to start devising schemes to hold capable offenses (without backups or rookies or Jared Goff) to less than 20?
QBs left on the schedule who are not career backups or rookies....Prsecott, Carr, Jimmy G, Josh Allen (2x), Sam Howell, D Jones, Justin Herbert, Kenny Pickett, Mahomes, Russell Wilson. So There are 15 games left and only 4 are against the caliber of quarterback whom Bill the Coach has beaten in the last season and a half of NFL football.
If the other team doesn't turn it over multiple times in their own end the Patriots have a massive hill to climb to score points. And we know Bill the Coach like to be conservative, run the ball, win on special teams and defense....it is obvious he's still trying to win that way. They run the ball early, get 2 yards a carry, punt, punt, fall behind, then it's 5 yard pass and sideways pass city.

Has Barmore made a Tackle all year?? Thought he was a rush guy. The last good move he made was against that borderline stiff Russey in TC.
Yes, he's been solid. He was extremely disruptive last week and made the play of the game against Philly on that third down stop against the Eagles that gave the Patriots one more shot to win the game.

It's taken most people all preseason and 2 games to realize that JuJu for Meyers was a bad decision.
But, that's only one of the many. Our team's collapse is full of bad roster moves, arrogant staffing decisions, stupid benching of talent, and stubbornness of gameplan schemes when it's not working. That's not individual players fault, that's a HC/GM problem.
Scream and yell at me for saying it, but if 2001 BB was talking to 2023 BB, he'd say - "It is what it is."
And it is - 4 years of bad football.

Bill the Coach's team has 9 wins in their last 24 games. The quarterbacks they've beaten....Rookie Trevor Lawrence, Mitch Trubisky, Jared Goff, Jacoby Brissett, Zach Wilson (2x), Sam Ehlinger, Colt McCoy, and the two head monster of Teddy Bridgewater and Skylar Thomspon.
That's a season and a half of football....and folks think, magically, Bill the Coach is going to start devising schemes to hold capable offenses (without backups or rookies or Jared Goff) to less than 20?
QBs left on the schedule who are not career backups or rookies....Prsecott, Carr, Jimmy G, Josh Allen (2x), Sam Howell, D Jones, Justin Herbert, Kenny Pickett, Mahomes, Russell Wilson. So There are 15 games left and only 4 are against the caliber of quarterback whom Bill the Coach has beaten in the last season and a half of NFL football.
If the other team doesn't turn it over multiple times in their own end the Patriots have a massive hill to climb to score points. And we know Bill the Coach like to be conservative, run the ball, win on special teams and defense....it is obvious he's still trying to win that way. They run the ball early, get 2 yards a carry, punt, punt, fall behind, then it's 5 yard pass and sideways pass city.
Bill isn’t a bad coach but you need to wonder if the regime is just at its end and can we still win under this leadership?

DeVAnte Parker was I the only one upset about his extension?? It's said by some stat that he's one of the worse separators in the entire league yet we reward him. We are not getting what we paid for and we let D-Hop leave the building when we could have had him brilliant move there.
In a small sample size, Parker is out-separating Hopkins this season :whistle:

Has Barmore made a Tackle all year?? Thought he was a rush guy. The last good move he made was against that borderline stiff Russey in TC.
The question I have is "Is he taking on double teams every snap?"

If so - he's doing his job. If not, then I agree there are some questions as to why he is not winning any 1-on-1 battles.

This is imo the most underrated issue with Mac. I just wonder if people can buy him as a leader. Even Cam Newton who admittedly sucked… it felt like the team played for him and he could at least energize the team. I just question if Mac has that.
Everyone in the locker room loves him, and he won 10 games as a rookie and even in a "bad" year still finished with the team ending up with a record better than with Newton. His "energy" last night wasn't the problem. Albeit, if he was the Tasmanian devil, maybe he could have zig zagged away from everything the Dolphins were coming at him with.
Looney Tunes Attack GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Everyone in the locker room loves him, and he won 10 games as a rookie and even in a "bad" year still finished with the team ending up with a record better than with Newton. His "energy" last night wasn't the problem. Albeit, if he was the Tasmanian devil, maybe he could have zig zagged away from everything the Dolphins were coming at him with.
Looney Tunes Attack GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem
I admittedly haven’t watched the games much. Working. I hear a lot of issues is with our OL. Do you think Mac is playing well enough to be a starter in this league?

Reactions: Ian
I admittedly haven’t watched the games much. Working. I hear a lot of issues is with our OL. Do you think Mac is playing well enough to be a starter in this league?
I do. But it's not just me. I mean, people in here have already pointed out that if you put Jones out in San Francisco he's probably pretty successful.

The situation just is what it is. Look at Tua and Josh Allen, many people had written them off until both teams stacked up talent around them. Then they were both different players. The same can be said with most other young quarterbacks around the league, including Mahomes, who the Chiefs stacked guys around him as well.

Mac isn't Brady and can't overcome limited talent with not much protection. No young QB can. It's not an excuse, it's just a reality. If Miami and Buffalo thought that, they would have dumped both guys but fortunately for them, they did the right thing and brought in explosive guys around them.

If they can at least keep Jones upright, it might be a different story. But they haven't even been able to do that yet consistently so far this season due to the injuries.

The lack of urgency to address the OT situation in FA or the draft and then get some day 3 picks along with late trades for some backups at best is a miracle
There is no reasonable explanation for not addressing this issue
It was clear last year, it was clear this season that this is a mess

Especially if you have no high end #1 WR and MJ as your qb you need a top tier line

Look at the o line in Detroit, goff looks good there and some average wr except st brown make plays because they have time

I was beating the tackle drum since February at least (and yrs before that) but this board was convincing me they will be ok.

The only chance to address starting tackle situation this year was FA since OT Draft was awful. Thank god they didnt waste prime picks there and miss on two prime position blue chips Gonzo & White.

Going into FA they clearly wanted to address the issue. FA offered a rare selection of 5 ligit starting OTs. It doesnt happen every year in fact it happens rarely and it certainly wont happen next year. Ok, lets say Bill didn't like one or two for whatever the reason and didn't like the price for most though he knows well enough you can't be exactly picky at tackles. They decided they'd go for Dillard. Would not be my pick considering his inj history and Pats OL depth/inj situation but ok, if healthy he might even be the best fit for Bill. Finally Titans won the bidding at 3y/29M with only 13M guaranteed - essentially a 2y/17M deal despite Pats having significantly more cap over the next 3 years (that was easy to create).

So what baffled me was not executing this relatively cheap and non-committal contract on essential position that is so hard to find in FA & identified as great need. Instead they spent 9M guaranteed money on half retired Reiff and swing tackle Anderson (who in combo with at least Dillard would be a good signing).

At that point you're already asking for trouble. Pushing average college LG to play starting NFL RT bc all other options failed instead of keeping him at G at least for the time being knowing there will be shortage with Onwenu missing half a year incl entire preseason etc etc.

I thought this kind of gambling is just not BBs modus operandi but here we are..

With perfect health going forward the line could be solidified to some extent but they might be in deep hole by then..

Last edited:
DeVAnte Parker was I the only one upset about his extension?? It's said by some stat that he's one of the worse separators in the entire league yet we reward him. We are not getting what we paid for and we let D-Hop leave the building when we could have had him brilliant move there.

Nope you are not. At first I was thinking you were moving money around to pick up D.Hop..but when I realized that wasn't the case

I thought..why the hell did u give him an extension when he really didn't do crap.

Couldn't pay Meyers but you extend him? And give Godchaux money as well..

Didn't go after A.J. Brown like Philly did but you gave Algholor a bunch of money the year before...just a bunch of head scratching moves..

Maybe it's God Almighty cursing the team for bringing in male cheerleaders. This year it's up to 3, because that's what's important for the team, cheerleaders. Probably only a matter of time until they bring in a trans to take pics with the kids. Good luck with all this. You can go ahead and cancel me if you want.

Nope you are not. At first I was thinking you were moving money around to pick up D.Hop..but when I realized that wasn't the case

I thought..why the hell did u give him an extension when he really didn't do crap.

Couldn't pay Meyers but you extend him? And give Godchaux money as well..

Didn't go after A.J. Brown like Philly did but you gave Algholor a bunch of money the year before...just a bunch of head scratching moves..
We miraculously got rid of Jonnu now it seems like we have two Jonno's on our books now Juju and Parker. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think the offense would be just fine if OL can get things together. JuJu/Parker/Douglas/Bourne with our two TE and Zeke/Mondre can get the job done with Mac... but defense was in backfield all day disrupting Mac and run game.

Cole Strange had a particularly bad game...

How come Mac is throwing the ball short of the first down on a 4th down must have it play?

Terrible call but O'Brien.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back