PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT 2024 NEP 3RD Overall Pick - DRAKE MAYE

I don’t hate it but I hope people are ready to wait, his footwork needs some serious improvement for him to be a good QB in the NFL.

For years you all *****ed about Bill going against the “experts” and picking players “way too early”. This year they pick the consensus 2/3 player in the draft at 3 and you are *****ing they took him where basically every draft expert said they should. Go listen to Felgar and step away from the keyboard.

His timing was too fast in college but the NFL is faster so it will work out perfectly for him. Follow me on Myspace for more made up player analysis.
1-15. ;)

For years you all *****ed about Bill going against the “experts” and picking players “way too early”. This year they pick the consensus 2/3 player in the draft at 3 and you are *****ing they took him where basically every draft expert said they should. Go listen to Felgar and step away from the keyboard.
Some people simply want to be outraged and complain no matter what.

Great pick. Give him a nice WR tomorrow and we have something to build around.

I'd suggest giving him a nice OT so he will at least have enough time to throw to Tyquan Thornton. :whistle:

Wait. Some of y'all are pissed they took Drake?

Lol

If it doesnt work then whatever. Trading down to take JJ, the second worst QB in the first round by draft position is ridiculous.

And for what? To grab a couple first round picks you ***** about anyway?

If Drake is half the player they say he is he's already twice as good as what we had.

Last edited:
Drake Maye will be tough to pass on if he's there at 3. He just will be. For numerous reasons. You could throw a huge resource at the most important position in sports. Coming off a failed top 15 pick with Mac. Someone who imo was a 2nd round value. Maye is worth a 1st. This will automatically get the fanbase fired up going into next year. New HC, OC and QB. That's 3 years of security and 3 yeas to get things right. Maye is a good looking kid with a 6'4 ish/230 frame. Dad played QB at UNC and his brother played basketball. He has NFL arm talent, mobility and can work all 3 levels of the field. Plus athleticism. He's got a good work ethic from everything I've read and heard. He seems to have what you want on and off the field.

Maye has an NFL arm with strength, velocity, touch and placement. One thing that stands out of Maye is that he can be a playmaker in the passing game with a body on him, throwing off platform with someone in his face. When things aren't perfect or even "good" around him. Hes able to hit 50-55 with no hop or anything noticeable in his delivery. Tight windows. Far hash to boundary. Arm angles. Passing with tempo and ability to change up from a fast ball. Layering and feathering. His arm is legit. Flexible, strong arm that comes through when the chips are down. The NFL is all about working under difficult conditions, working under certain, specific situations. He's able to deliver a well placed ball with touch and strength in bad conditions. Something you have to think about playing in NE weathe6'4 230 and will run a 4.60 He's a weapon running the ball that will have to be dialed back but he's an absolute weapon in the rushing game. There's a lot you can do here. Designed runs included but more importantly he's got plus instincts combined with athleticism and mobility for the position. This is key. The kid can create. Not only can he pick up yards defenses inevitably give up but he out run, make you miss or pick up tough yards. A defense has to account for him on every play!Out of the top tier he's the best working within or out of structure. Working short intermediate and deep. All 3 levels. Specifically the MOF which translates to the NFL. If you can work the MOF it shows you can operate in tight spaces, go through your progressions, move defenders and know how to be on time with defenders flying around. Maye led all big time QBs working the mof and big time passes. Plus anticipation in this area of the field, coming off a WR break.

His ability to maneuver, manipulate and scramble is very impressive. Just more playmaker in his game. He can find a way with someone all over him. Or take off for a 1st down. Again he's a weapon every play whether things are good or bad.

Love his passion, willingness to pick up tough yards, make a play for his team. He's all "fight" when it comes to fight or flight. He's worked on reaching a balance there. Again that's where coaching comes in. His ability to make plays out of structure and play within structure is very impressive. He wants to make it happen with his arm or legs.

His decision making can be off at times. He does have 2-3 "hero" plays in him a game. He could check down a few more times, go for a "safe" play a little more but that's the ride with these guys and why you need good coaches, right? Plus a lot of these moments are due to too much being put on him while playmakers are leaving or his OL isn't very good. This is an area he has to clean up but he wasn't put in a great position in a lot of spots last year either.

His footwork and lower half mechanics need to improve and will lead to more accuracy on the easy stuff and more velocity on the tight window passes (20+ down field) I love his shoulders when he's working or on the move though. He's got a lot of potential here. He needs to find a consistent and comfortable base.

Too many sacks on him. From his own doing and poor pocket presence. He could improve even slightly in this department and see big results. Cut back and be more decisive when scrambling particularly pertaining next level. Designed runs, few scrambles but behind the line be as decisive as possible.

Could be a tad faster regarding his progressions but there's plenty of video of him reading left to right or we. Again, more coaching.

Maye looks like my QB1. I won't have a "top 5" grade on any of the QB's but he'll likely be QB1 with a solid 1st round grade. He'll be 22 in August I believe. So he's still a pup in many ways but plays like a big dog. Like any QB coming in coaching will be huge. He'll need his McVay or whoever to work with to reach his full potential. That said he's got everything you want and more. He's quite the package now but still only 21. To think about what he could be at 24-25 with the proper development could be scary.

As far as a player comp I see a lot o

Drake Maye will be tough to pass on if he's there at 3. He just will be. For numerous reasons. You could throw a huge resource at the most important position in sports. Coming off a failed top 15 pick with Mac. Someone who imo was a 2nd round value. Maye is worth a 1st. This will automatically get the fanbase fired up going into next year. New HC, OC and QB. That's 3 years of security and 3 yeas to get things right. Maye is a good looking kid with a 6'4 ish/230 frame. Dad played QB at UNC and his brother played basketball. He has NFL arm talent, mobility and can work all 3 levels of the field. Plus athleticism. He's got a good work ethic from everything I've read and heard. He seems to have what you want on and off the field.

Maye has an NFL arm with strength, velocity, touch and placement. One thing that stands out of Maye is that he can be a playmaker in the passing game with a body on him, throwing off platform with someone in his face. When things aren't perfect or even "good" around him. Hes able to hit 50-55 with no hop or anything noticeable in his delivery. Tight windows. Far hash to boundary. Arm angles. Passing with tempo and ability to change up from a fast ball. Layering and feathering. His arm is legit. Flexible, strong arm that comes through when the chips are down. The NFL is all about working under difficult conditions, working under certain, specific situations. He's able to deliver a well placed ball with touch and strength in bad conditions. Something you have to think about playing in NE weather.

6'4/230 and will run a 4.60 He's a weapon running the ball that will have to be dialed back but he's an absolute weapon in the rushing game. There's a lot you can do here. Designed runs included but more importantly he's got plus instincts combined with athleticism and mobility for the position. This is key. The kid can create. Not only can he pick up yards defenses inevitably give up but he out run, make you miss or pick up tough yards. A defense has to account for him on every play!

Out of the top tier he's the best working within or out of structure. Working short intermediate and deep. All 3 levels. Specifically the MOF which translates to the NFL. If you can work the MOF it shows you can operate in tight spaces, go through your progressions, move defenders and know how to be on time with defenders flying around. Maye led all big time QBs working the mof and big time passes. Plus anticipation in this area of the field, coming off a WR break

His ability to maneuver, manipulate and scramble is very impressive. Just more playmaker in his game. He can find a way with someone all over him. Or take off for a 1st down. Again he's a weapon every play whether things are good or bad.

Love his passion, willingness to pick up tough yards, make a play for his team. He's all "fight" when it comes to fight or flight. He's worked on reaching a balance there. Again that's where coaching comes in. His ability to make plays out of structure and play within structure is very impressive. He wants to make it happen with his arm or legs.

His decision making can be off at times. He does have 2-3 "hero" plays in him a game. He could check down a few more times, go for a "safe" play a little more but that's the ride with these guys and why you need good coaches, right? Plus a lot of these moments are due to too much being put on him while playmakers are leaving or his OL isn't very good. This is an area he has to clean up but he wasn't put in a great position in a lot of spots last year either.

His footwork and lower half mechanics need to improve and will lead to more accuracy on the easy stuff and more velocity on the tight window passes (20+ down field) I love his shoulders when he's working or on the move though. He's got a lot of potential here. He needs to find a consistent and comfortable base.

Too many sacks on him. From his own doing and poor pocket presence. He could improve even slightly in this department and see big results. Cut back and be more decisive when scrambling particularly pertaining next level. Designed runs, few scrambles but behind the line be as decisive as possible.

Could be a tad faster regarding his progressions but there's plenty of video of him reading left to right or we. Again, more coaching.

Maye looks like my QB1. I won't have a "top 5" grade on any of the QB's but he'll likely be QB1 with a solid 1st round grade. He'll be 22 in August I believe. So he's still a pup in many ways but plays like a big dog. Like any QB coming in coaching will be huge. He'll need his McVay or whoever to work with to reach his full potential. That said he's got everything you want and more. He's quite the package now but still only 21. To think about what he could be at 24-25 with the proper development could be scary.

As far as a player comp I see a lot of Stafford and Allen. Good and Bad.

I just wrote about Maye and his lower half mechanics in the ptp thread. He really makes it hard on himself but in fairness that system had him taking some time during his dropbacks - between the routes (sometimes bery bad, unnecessary things like getting too fancy at the los, deep routes with little nuance ) He drifts and finds himself towards pressure even if it's one threat. Has to climb instead of draft sideways. He has to really work on that. It's correctable but it's going to be whole effort between him, the staff, his trainers .. everything has to be quicker. There are so many similarities to Allen and the footwork is one of them. Allen used to find himself stuck in mud, not moving his feet quite often. I really believe this is the main issue with Maye. This along with occasionally losing sight of second level defenders, being slow at times either just hitting his 1st target (aggressiveness needs to be tamed) or checking down/throwing it away.

Maye is a monster, man. Like if he hits look out. He's an animal with tremendous natural gifts and NFL qualities. He's a beast that needs his energy funneled the right way. He's the only guy I would have gambled on here besides obviously Williams (qbs). Couldn't be happier bc this is the kind of guy (***if he hits***) that can go toe to toe with the top of the NFL class.

It's a gamble but one I would have made.

Go Pats!!!!

Thanks BGC

QB is not an individual position imo its actually a team position.
Unfortunately hes not coming to a good team situation esp. on offense.
The minions in NE FO are now talking about shoring up OL and offence. NOW? AFTER FA and 1st round?

Bill said play them when you feel they are ready.
Thats not easy to evaluate with OL/O situation that they have as he can attest himself : )

The most important aspect of QB play is not a particular skillset but confidence (as QBs say themselves).
Is there a good bet he builds his confidence in situation hes coming to?

The only good thing is Jacoby is in the building, so hopefully the long game plays out..

-.-

Never miss an opportunity to bag the Krafts do you.

The consensus was he was a top 3 pick, plenty of analysts had him going to us but noooo, it's the Krafts.

Time will tell, but I am going to have to go with BB and many of other qualified draft experts such as Sims: Maye has a long way to go. Maybe he will turn into Josh Allen, maybe not. I hope he does, but I think that the Patriots should have traded down. They could have gotten a blue chip WR plus a LT or a blue chip WR plus a second tier QB, but instead they drafted a gamble.

Maye is a gamble that will have to sit for a year or two (who did Mad Mel say could be ready in 5-6 years?) unless the Krafts force Mayo to play him. Watch out.

Time will tell, but I am going to have to go with BB and many of other qualified draft experts such as Sims: Maye has a long way to go. Maybe he will turn into Josh Allen, maybe not. I hope he does, but I think that the Patriots should have traded down. They could have gotten a blue chip WR plus a LT or a blue chip WR plus a second tier QB, but instead they drafted a gamble.

Maye is a gamble that will have to sit for a year or two (who did Mad Mel say could be ready in 5-6 years?) unless the Krafts force Mayo to play him. Watch out.
None of that has anything to do with you blaming the Krafts yet again for something that was clearly the obvious choice in most analysts eyes.

Every single player picked was a gamble. The first qb taken is short, hides in press conferences when he loses and bascially screams look at me I am special. The second qb taken played on a team with an nfl caliber o line and wide receivers, plus he is what 21/2 years older than Maye. Come on guy.

In what universe is Mac Jones comparable to Maye?

He isn't. With all due respect to Pape he is very clearly very ignorant on Maye. The two are not even remotely similar. Even if Maye ends up being a bust.

Maye was the right pick, even though he has some issues that he'll need to overcome. They ALL do. He was THE most talented QB available at #3 plain and simple. Not taking him would have meant you were willing to take a Nix kind of QB. Someone whose ceiling is being a top 16 QB, when you had a chance to pick a guy whose ceiling is top 5.

Even if it doesn't work out, the upside is worth the risk, since EVERY draft pick comes with risk.

Simms didn't think Brady was very good. Despite all the evidence to the contrary.

He's made a living with outrageous takes.

The Patriots shouldn't be doing anything ever before they address their QB situation.

They did the right and obvious thing. People werent living in the real world if they thought they was trading out and shoring up the line and WR slots first.

Great. Sit him this season.
I'd like to see if he's ready by week 8.. watching his interview the kids confident, ready to work and has leadership abilities. Excellent pick!

I'm in disagreement with Phil perry about the team not going to do anything this season. This defense continues to be disrespected. I'm expecting some skill position pick ups today along with O line help. Keeping my eyes on a potential trade for a game changer also.

Maye was the right pick, even though he has some issues that he'll need to overcome. They ALL do. He was THE most talented QB available at #3 plain and simple. Not taking him would have meant you were willing to take a Nix kind of QB. Someone whose ceiling is being a top 16 QB, when you had a chance to pick a guy whose ceiling is top 5.

Even if it doesn't work out, the upside is worth the risk, since EVERY draft pick comes with risk.
Absolutely agreed 100%.. after watching his interview I was sold even more on this pick. He has a cannon for an arm and is a leader. I'd like to see him at some point this season hopefully he's ready by week 8

Fundamentally, they have the same issues ... they are both slow to process whats happening... Fatal flaw, imo, of Mac Jones...

Although I disagree what Mac's fatal flaw is, I won't go too much into it and rehash the case of Mac Jones. I think his biggest flaw was a lack of mental toughness and not being able to trust his people around him. I think people confused his lack of confidence with a lack of processing speed.

I don't pretend to know enough about Maye to know about his processing speed. I do know he did play with a team that had a lot of issues on offense in terms of personnel. That could have something to do with it. I do know that his athleticism will allow him to compensate better for a lack of processing speed than a pocket passer like Mac (see Josh Allen who isn't the fastest at processing what is happening). I also know that the Pats are going to run a system that take a lot of the need to process what is happening away with a lot of first read plays more RPOs etc.

I am not sure if Maye will be any good. He is a boom or bust type of player. I personally would have preferred the Pats trading with the Vikings, gotten JJ McCarthy, Brian Thomas, the Vikes #1 and possibly #2 next year than take Maye. Nothing against Maye, but the draft is such a crap shoot even at #3 that I would rather have a lot of top picks than one. But I think if he fails, it will be for far different reasons than Mac.

So does Harbaugh love Herbert's ability to hand off the ball because it looks like they are building a team to run 30 times a game.

This idea that college QBs just are what they are is psychotic.

Brady himself is on the record talking about how he was too slow at processing and decision making as a rookie and how the coaches harped on it. Even Tom Brady wasn't TOM BRADY as a player until, what, late 2003 or 2004? Aaron Rodgers had atrocious mechanics because his college coach literally taught wrong as part of some gimmick scheme that usually produced pro busts. Mahomes had lots of defects in his college game, it's why he fell to 10th. And so on.

NFL success is about physical talent, durability, mental toughness and THE ABILITY TO LEARN. Most of those are devilishly hard to scout.

Wow, I guess I am the designated douche bag this time. OK, and I am probably way off; I loved the pick of Mac Jones.

Anyway I still think they should have taken Nabers or JJ McCarthy straight up or traded backa few picks and tried to get one of them. I think that Malik Nabers would have been the big, deep threat that the Patriots have not had since Moss.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back