PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post 24 QB Primer Thread

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Screenshot_20240302_202104_X.jpg
Pressure to sack rate (last 2 years, qbs drafted in first 3 rounds)
Screenshot_20240302_202304_X.jpg

This bothers me bc he has the right idea here. Pumping to move defenders, comes back to Nabers and just freezes. Just let that rip that's easy money. There's a few instances like this in the Florida game as well. Covered up by his all-world #'s in that game but again we know what kind of league the NFL is.

Daniels will need a top tier OL to truly max out in a vertical system. I think he could absolutely hit the ground running on a team ready to roll. Let's see what happens in a week or so bc this team has plenty of money. Like if we really wanted to sign Mike Evans to along with Daniels I believe we could. I know what Evans has said but Hopkins said the same and ended up catching passes from Will Levis. Money talks. Evans, Daniels and say Brian Thomas or AD Mitchell later would definitely get fans going.

I just want to see something come together bc all these guys need a plan and support system every step of the way.

Last edited:
Sorry, about the multiple posts
You can click edit at the bottom of the posts and then delete them. You can leave an empty post to save space. Some people only type Duplicate after deleting the post.

One thing I will say after looking at this year's list of QB's: I believe its a really good year for QBs. There is a good chance that 4-5 Qbs hit this year so picking at 3 we have a good chance to get a guy.

#2 was open he never looked his way great play design by LSU's OC.

I don’t think it’s a right handed thing, I think it’s his lack of mobility in an age when extending plays and a mobile QB is highly desired. Add his age and injury history.

He threw better than McCarthy. McCarthy was uneven, continued to show he has accuracy issues and pretty much showed why he’s a second round talent with a first round arm.
Penix showed he’s a first round talent that lacks mobility. He was the most impressive QB that worked out yet hes not getting much buzz.
If Penix could run a little and had minimal injury history he’d be in the top of first round conversation.
But, if you watch the Super Bowl, almost all the big plays were made by Mahomes and Purdy, getting out of the pocket and extending plays, that’s becoming a huge desire to want a quarterback.
No its not. Tom Brady says hello

No it’s not. Tom Brady says hello
Because the odds of the next pocket passer being Tom Brady are real high?
But I agree, if Penix could have Brady’s incredible mind, reading of defense ability, accuracy, ability to go thru reads, arm strength, mechanics, time of release and work ethic.
He will be really, really really good.
Brady also “moved” in the pocket at an elite level.
Teams absolutely place a premium on QBs that can extend plays
A QB run is the number 1 type play for yards above expected.

Well for Every QB but Mahomes
Brady was also a 6th round pick because he was not athletic.
I’m not saying a pocket passer can’t be successful, I’m just saying teams put Premium on quarterbacks that can extend plays.

Last edited:
Penix and McCarthy both need a year to sit so if that’s the Patriots “Green Bay style” it makes sense for them to trade down and grab one of them later

Because the odds of the next pocket passer being Tom Brady are real high?
But I agree, if Penix could have Brady’s incredible mind, reading of defense ability, accuracy, ability to go thru reads, arm strength, mechanics, time of release and work ethic.
He will be really, really really good.
Brady also “moved” in the pocket at an elite level.
Teams absolutely place a premium on QBs that can extend plays
A QB run is the number 1 type play for yards above expected.

Well for Every QB but Mahomes
Brady was also a 6th round pick because he was not athletic.
I’m not saying a pocket passer can’t be successful, I’m just saying teams put Premium on quarterbacks that can extend plays.
Bradys ability to move in the pocket and extend plays that way is much more valuable than a qb who extends play running the football.
Mainly because his eyes never leave his receivers and see the whole field.

But he developed that ability after the 2002 season. He actually worked with basketball coaches in Cali to improve his lateral movement and avoid sacks.
Thats,where the rubber bands began.

Lamar Jackson hasn't won a SB. Neither has Josh Allen.

Mahomes is a different story. He's a unicorn. Nobody else can do what he does. But he's not a "running " qb per se like those other guys. Hes been the #1 ranked overall pocket qb since Brady retired. He has a rare ability to see multiple recs while running. Although he often doesn't see some wide open wrs that Brady would have.
And his ability to throw from all kinds of arm angles is unique.

After Mahomes, Burrow has been hands down the best qb in the nfl over the past few years. And he's primarily a pocket passer.

The only reason coaches are accepting running qbs is because that's what colleges are producing.
Most of the QBs in the nfl now suck.

There are only 2 elite qbs in the nfl:
Mahomes and Burrow and Joe has serious injury concerns.
When Brady was in his prime there were 5 or 6 elite qbs.

I know a college coach at a high profile Div. 1 school and he agrees with me that colleges right now are doing the worst they've done in many many years at preparing qbs for the nfl.

None of them can read a defense.

The learning curve is way bigger now than it was even 15 years ago for college qbs entering the nfl.

They get by with athleticism in college.

It doesn't really mean much in the nfl.

A Brady, Peyton, Rodgers,Burrow will always be more valuable than a Lamar Jackson.

A Brady, Peyton, Rodgers,Burrow will always be more valuable than a Lamar Jackson.
Many good points in your post but times have changed. There are several stories about the lack of quality offensive lineman compared to history. A God like pocket QB can still do well, but like Burrow they are going to take a ton of hits and be more susceptible to injury as the evidence shows that mobile QB's have less injuries and with the poor offensive lines in the NFL it's just harder for a pocket passer to succeed. The 2024 Super Bowl QB's won games by extending plays and going off script.

I just don't picture a GM looking at QB's to draft and saying they don't prefer someone that can extend plays. Caleb Williams is the ideal 2024 QB prototype. Mahomes lite.

NFL Hall of Famer and Raiders legend Tim Brown doesn't want Tom Brady to play for his old team, says quarterbacks have to be mobile in today's NFL.

"I don’t think Tom Brady should be in the plans at all,” Brown said for CBS Sports Radio. “But, because of that relationship, I think that’s a possibility. I think he’s starting to show that he’s 45-46 years old. His inability to move — when you look at the quarterbacks in the league today you have very few who are pocket quarterbacks. Joe Burrow is probably the closest thing you get, but God knows when it’s time to run, he can get out of the pocket and make it happen.

“Tom Brady is never gonna do that. I just don’t believe in this league, and yeah, Tom has won all these Super Bowls, but I just think the league is moving to a point where you have to have a quarterback that’s able to move around and get some things done with his feet every once in awhile.”

Many good points in your post but times have changed. There are several stories about the lack of quality offensive lineman compared to history. A God like pocket QB can still do well, but like Burrow they are going to take a ton of hits and be more susceptible to injury as the evidence shows that mobile QB's have less injuries and with the poor offensive lines in the NFL it's just harder for a pocket passer to succeed. The 2024 Super Bowl QB's won games by extending plays and going off script.

I just don't picture a GM looking at QB's to draft and saying they don't prefer someone that can extend plays. Caleb Williams is the ideal 2024 QB prototype. Mahomes lite.

NFL Hall of Famer and Raiders legend Tim Brown doesn't want Tom Brady to play for his old team, says quarterbacks have to be mobile in today's NFL.

"I don’t think Tom Brady should be in the plans at all,” Brown said for CBS Sports Radio. “But, because of that relationship, I think that’s a possibility. I think he’s starting to show that he’s 45-46 years old. His inability to move — when you look at the quarterbacks in the league today you have very few who are pocket quarterbacks. Joe Burrow is probably the closest thing you get, but God knows when it’s time to run, he can get out of the pocket and make it happen.

“Tom Brady is never gonna do that. I just don’t believe in this league, and yeah, Tom has won all these Super Bowls, but I just think the league is moving to a point where you have to have a quarterback that’s able to move around and get some things done with his feet every once in awhile.”

I agree with most of this.
That's the sad state of current college and pro football.

But it's not because a so-called " mobile" qb improves your offense or gives you better chance of winning.
It's because colleges aren't doing a good job preparing qbs.

Almost unheard of for a college qb to call his own plays anymore.
Thats a problem.

Also you're wrong about mobile qbs getting hurt less. The opposite is true.
Brady was one of most durable injury-free qbs we've seen. While many of his contemporaries, who were "mobile", along with being much bigger and stronger, were constantly being hurt, e.eg. Big Ben, McNabb etc.
If Prime Brady were in the nfl right now he's hands down the best qb in the league.

We also need to draw a distinction between "mobile" and "running" qbs.

If by mobile you're talking about Burrow or Rodgers or Mahomes, that's good. They're all brilliant passers who throw a lot from the pocket and out of it but point is they're all trying to pass first,second and third even while moving.
They don't have a lot of designed qb runs.

That's very different than a Lamar Jackson. I'm not knocking him, I like him. But he's also a unicorn and not a blueprint for success.
Mahomes is much more like Brady than he is like Lamar. Much more.

Brady is the gold standard. He was very mobile- in the pocket. That is way more valuable than some fool running around like a chicken with his head cut off, unable to see wide open wrs who've adjusted their routes so he runs for a 7 yd gain.

On the same play Brady sidesteps pressure or steps up in the pocket sees multiple open wrs and hits someone for 15-20 yarder.
Tim Brown was a great player but his football iq isn't genius- level.

Now what if Brady had a little more athletic ability and could all that he did PLUS extend plays with his legs? Would that have made him better?

On paper,yes but in practice,maybe not.
Why? Because maybe he wouldn't have worked as hard on the really important things like mechanics,footwork,reading defenses etc if he could just run for 7-8 yds.

Guys like Burrow and Mahomes are great. They're the only 2 elite qbs in the nfl. And Burrow sadly is dealing with injuries that can potentially derail his career.
Josh Allen is not elite,lol.

The cardinal rule of drafting is  always pick best player available, not need.

Unless your staff feels strongly that a position of need player is very very close to being bpa. Then you draft him.

Drafting bpa has been proven to be by far the best strategy when you analyze nfl drafting over the last 60+ years. Thats what scientists call a large sample size.

There's not a qb in this draft who should start 1st year. Not one. They're all flawed. So what you're drafting is potential.

Thats a crap shoot. Will Caleb be Murray? That would be a horrible waste of the #1 pick.

I know inside stuff about Maye. Don't ask I'm not exposing anyone on a message board. Just accept that I know. Doesn't inspire me with confidence about Maye and IMHO he's still the best qb prospect in this draft.

After a year on the bench, would Daniels,Maye or Williams really look like a potential franchise qb? Maybe. Or not. This is called gambling.
Or you draft the one player who's guaranteed to be a difference- maker.

Who has the talent but also the work ethic and the smarts to be great.

MHJ. No, I'm not his agent.

But the Pats  have to get a difference-maker with this pick.

Would be ideal if that dude was a qb.

But I have doubts. And be honest, so do all of you.

I'm glad I'm not the one making this decision. Tough call.

So the plan is for our Rookie QB to sit and learn for a year what's peoples take on QB Joe Milton Tennessee?? Sure more than looks the part to me he aced the eyeballs test. :cool:

So the plan is for our Rookie QB to sit and learn for a year what's peoples take on QB Joe Milton Tennessee?? Sure more than looks the part to me he aced the eyeballs test. :cool:

He has no football brain, he's like a very drunk Josh Allen. Has all the physical talent in the world but does the dumbest things at the most inopportune moments. He's just consistently dumb.

He's 24 now and has been a college QB since 2018. If he hasn't learned to not throw 60 yards across your body into triple coverage while scrambling by now, he never will.

He has no football brain, he's like a very drunk Josh Allen. Has all the physical talent in the world but does the dumbest things at the most inopportune moments. He's just consistently dumb.

He's 24 now and has been a college QB since 2018. If he hasn't learned to not throw 60 yards across your body into triple coverage while scrambling by now, he never will.

I was reading about him a couple months ago and found this article going into detail about why Milton is not an NFL quality quarterback.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back