PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post 24 QB Primer Thread

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Just take McCarthy at 3 he's going to be the best out of all the QBs from 2024.
If he is even there at 3....
Heard a report that J.J. McCarthy is passing Maye as third best QB according to team’s personnel departments.

The rumor from execs at the league meetings today is that Washington now wants JJ at pick 2. Take that for what it’s worth.

I’d prefer McCarthy but I think Daniels has a chance to be good as well. Reminds me a little if Donovan Mcnabb.

JJ has an uncapped ceiling him and Maye are the two possible studs at QB in this draft.
I pray we get one of them.

JJ has an uncapped ceiling him and Maye are the two possible studs at QB in this draft.
Assuming Williams goes #1, the Pats are guaranteed to get one of them if they want them.

The rumor from execs at the league meetings today is that Washington now wants JJ at pick 2. Take that for what it’s worth.
Well, the execs have a better idea of what to believe regarding smoke screens, and if the rumors of the Giants and Vikings loving JJ are true, maybe WASHINGTON wants to be the beneficiary of the panic trades.

Well, the execs have a better idea of what to believe regarding smoke screens, and if the rumors of the Giants and Vikings loving JJ are true, maybe WASHINGTON wants to be the beneficiary of the panic trades.
Definitely feels like cat & mouse there too. You would assume Minnesota would “learn to love” JJ because they assume he’s definitely available at 3 once Williams and Daniels go 1 and 2. Washington then saying “well, actually, WE love JJ” doesn’t totally work in that case, because then that means Daniels falls to 3, and I think even more teams would be interested in a trade up for a choice or Daniels or Maye at 3 than they would’ve if it was Maye or JJ at 3. (And I like JJ but I don’t think he’s gonna be above Daniels on most of these team’s boards)

Definitely feels like cat & mouse there too. You would assume Minnesota would “learn to love” JJ because they assume he’s definitely available at 3 once Williams and Daniels go 1 and 2. Washington then saying “well, actually, WE love JJ” doesn’t totally work in that case, because then that means Daniels falls to 3, and I think even more teams would be interested in a trade up for a choice or Daniels or Maye at 3 than they would’ve if it was Maye or JJ at 3. (And I like JJ but I don’t think he’s gonna be above Daniels on most of these team’s boards)
Get your popcorn ready.

It would be funny if all of these teams are all taking turns hyping up Daniels and McCarthy as their guys but all secretly want Maye.

In the end I think Maye goes at 2 just like the consensus has been all season up until a few weeks ago.
I hope we get the QB we have at the top of our board is all I care about.

The amount of bs being slung around by unnamed sources is incredible. Makes sense that Washington is trying to naximize potential trade value of their pick by spreading a different rumor each week.

Last edited:
I’ve always liked Penix Jr, but I like him a little more after that 4.4 40. Although he’d be my 3rd-4th choice after Maye, Daniels and maybe McCarthy, I wouldn’t be upset if we gained a few first rounders/elite player haul in a trade down. While I am slightly concerned about his injury history, he can stand in the pocket and deliver the football accurately in a timely/consistent basis; while having the ability to create with his legs. He’s a R-A-L-R type QB (Run as last resort), which is the ideal archetype. He’ll be 24, but I like the experience and composure (yes, he had the best OL in college). Remember, Stroud/Herbert weren’t considered “mobile” at the collegiate level, but both have shown they can do it effectively in the NFL when need be. Also, Penix ran a lot more while at Indiana. The left handed dynamic would be interesting. His medicals are allegedly clean, he can sling it accurately from the pocket consistently & strong arm/high IQ, played in inclement weather, experienced, 6’3” 218-220 and just ran a 4.4 haha. I see him landing with teams like the Dolphins, Vikings, Seahawks, Raiders, Rams or Broncos, but yeah..I’d be cool with him.

Last edited:
Jayden Daniels followed by JJ, Nix and lastly Penix is who I want early. Devin Leary is my late round choice. I see the possibilities with Maye but my gut says he is a bust that will be at best the second coming of Blake Bortles.

JT O'Sullivan discusses the top QBs.

On Drake Maye: "If he's such a good QB, why doesn't he throw good all the time?" Riffing off a Moneyball quote after discussing footwork issues that lead to consistently poor throws. Goes on to say (in a larger sense, applicable to all young QBs) is that mechanical issues are fixable if the team and the player put in the work during the off season.

(I'm not qualified to say who NE should take at 3, just thought it an interesting analysis. Good summary can be found here)

Last edited:

That would be more meaningful if we knew the rest of the stats that go with it. He only threw for over 150 yaards once in his last 6 college games, and that was for 221 against Alabama in an Overtime game. He only threw for 60 yards, and didn’t pass once in the 2nd half against Penn St. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against the kid, and I’ll be rooting for him to become great if he ends up on the Patriots, but a completion percentage stat when you throw that little doesn’t mean as much as it does if you are throwing all the time. He did have a few games where he threw the ball more, but overall is passing numbers are much lower than most QB’s we see projected as first round picks,

I have ultimately decided that I am good with McCarthy at 3. In all likelihood Chicago takes Williams and then Washington takes Maye or Daniels, or Minnesota or another team trades up with Washington and takes Maye or Daniels. Either way, you should be confident McCarthy is there at 3.

If Daniels goes at 2, and you have the option between Maye or McCarthy, I would probably lean towards Maye. McCarthy really needs a full year on the bench, Maye is closer to a finished product but would still benefit from some time on the bench. But McCarthy has also shown the ability to rise to the challenge against the toughest competition so I really like that, Maye did kind of the opposite this year. It would be tough.

If they are putting an emphasis on leadership, which it seems like they are, McCarthy probably gets a big boost over his peers there.

Daniels won the Unitas Award for Leadership. And he repeatedly brought LSU back in shootouts where their defense was letting teams put up big numbers against them, when it comes to this quality he has to get the edge over the others.

Daniels won the Unitas Award for Leadership. And he repeatedly brought LSU back in shootouts where their defense was letting teams put up big numbers against them, when it comes to this quality he has to get the edge over the others.
Nope it’s about the team. His wrs and line were better than the others. You have to take that into account when you grade qbs. I don’t knock him for being a great leader, I just take that with a big grain of salt.

Jayden Daniels followed by JJ, Nix and lastly Penix is who I want early. Devin Leary is my late round choice. I see the possibilities with Maye but my gut says he is a bust that will be at best the second coming of Blake Bortles.
I do like Devin Leary alot as a 6th-UDFA type.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back