PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Caplan: Pats exploring the trade market to get an impact WR

Maye and Daniels are probably not going to become close to Brady or Mahomes. Usually QBs need a top WR to be great.
We don't need close to Brady or Mahomes. Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Staubach, Aikman, and a few other QB's all did pretty well.

As great as it would obviously be to get a new pass catcher or two I'm more interested in strengthening the run game. No backs on this team got over 700 yards last year, that's pretty dismal. 2 guys got 600 but that's still not wonderful.

If we can pick up some extra meat for the line and improve our backs with good picks or trades, I honestly think that we'll be surprised at the improvement in the QB room. Nothing makes a quarterback's job harder than not having a credible rush.

Mentioned this before but my ideal scenario is a trade down to pick up a second first round pick, say with Minnesota for 11 and 23, spend one pick on Michael Pratt and another on the best available Linebacker. Then target Braelon Allen or someone like him in the mid rounds. Good versatile running back who can catch and carry. Getting Pratt at 11, Dallas Turner at 21, Allen at 34 and someone like Fautanu in the later rounds (or any of half a dozen other of the more athletic OTs out there), that'd do me fine. Especially if we can also scoop up a salary dump or another RB from somewhere after cutdowns and grab some OL depth at the same time.
Having a poor OL makes a QB’s job harder for both pass and rush. It can cause not having a credible rush no matter what RBs are on the field.

I’d prefer to see them stand pat on WRs and get a good LT. At least, get a good LT before doing anything else.

Michael Gallup is a free agent, can do a lot better than Juju. Maybe a bunch of #2 is what the Pats need to look decent. Focus should be on OL and QB.

“They’re looking to add at least one impact player at the position this offseason.” Is this the same source who said that the Pats were looking to add at least one impact player on defense during free agency?

In other news, I can’t believe that so many Patriots fans want to take MHJ at 3. He is not Moss or Megatron. If they don’t take a QB at 3, the only logical thing to do when the team has so many holes to fill and also when wide receiver group is exceptionally strong…..trade down an accrue additional picks. MHJ would be a luxury pick at 3 and the Pats are not in a luxury pick situation currently.

If they can get Higgins or Aiyuk for a second round pick those guys are probably going to be better than a receiver they could draft their. Not sure I would want to give more than a second because a huge contract would have to accompany any deal.

I doubt either becomes available in trade though.

If they can get Higgins or Aiyuk for a second round pick those guys are probably going to be better than a receiver they could draft their. Not sure I would want to give more than a second because a huge contract would have to accompany any deal.

I doubt either becomes available in trade though.
Would Devonta Smith be available for a second I’m wondering?
Or Terry McClauren?
Can Detroit pay Amon Ra St brown?
Would Seattle move Metcalf?

Would Devonta Smith be available for a second I’m wondering?
Or Terry McClauren?
Can Detroit pay Amon Ra St brown?
Would Seattle move Metcalf?
You forgot Tyreek Hill, Waddle, AJ Brown, and Chase. Maybe they can convince the Bucs to trade the recently signed Mike Evans.

Honestly, I do not see this happening, at all...

Wolf has said he wants to try to stockpile picks... Cannot see him being willing to give up what picks we do have in order to bring in a Quality wide receiver...

Actually there isn’t any evidence that I’m aware of that Wolf sad that, a bunch of writers keep projecting that on him, and claiming it’s the Green Bay model, but I haven’t seen any quote from him to that effect. And most of the writers doing it do so to justify their never ending claims that the Patriots will trade out of 3. which basically means that Patriot fans will be waiting years to ever contend again.

I am sure they are calling, but what are they willing to give up to acquire said receiver? Jeudy and Diontae Johnson both got traded for not a lot, and they didn't pull the trigger, so I have a hard time seeing them forking over a high end pick for anyone high caliber

Actually there isn’t any evidence that I’m aware of that Wolf sad that, a bunch of writers keep projecting that on him, and claiming it’s the Green Bay model, but I haven’t seen any quote from him to that effect. And most of the writers doing it do so to justify their never ending claims that the Patriots will trade out of 3. which basically means that Patriot fans will be waiting years to ever contend again.
You are correct... It came from the athletic... About the only semi-credible site left out there... We shall see in a month or so

Last edited:
Michael Gallup is a free agent, can do a lot better than Juju. Maybe a bunch of #2 is what the Pats need to look decent. Focus should be on OL and QB.
Gallup is in a similar boat as Williams. Still young enough to get one more decent multiyear contract but (probably) looking to sign a one year prove-it deal to try to reestablish their value. Sadly, I can’t imagine that the Patriots, as currently constituted, are an attractive option for a one year prove-it contract.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back