PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else get a kick out of the whole "Montana is undefeated in super bowls" argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richie021501

On the Roster
Reaction score
I'm sure threads have been made on this before but, hey, I'm new here and have never seen this discussed personally.

Whenever the whole Brady vs Montana thing comes up, Montana supporters always bring up the fact that he was undefeated in Super Bowls. I, for the life of me, have never understood this argument. I think Brady is the GOAT but there is certainly an argument for Montana. If someone wants to bring up the fact that he never threw an int in the super bowl then fine, that's a valid argument. But this whole undefeated in super bowls argument makes no sense. Why is losing a super bowl a knock against you? No player wins the super bowl every year, there should be no shame in finishing in 2nd a couple of years as opposed to 3rd, 4th, or worse, which Montana did 7 times in his career.

People who bring that up are basically saying that it would have been better for Brady to lose in the AFC title game those 2 years he lost to the Giants. That is ludicrous to me and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why should we hold it against brady that he lost the super bowl twice but not hold against Montana all the times he lost in the earlier rounds? I'd take a 4-2 record over a 4-10 record any day. Hell, I'd take a 4-100 record, over a 4-0 record any day.

Starting to care less and less about these arguments/debates.

Different era, no way of inserting either player in the 80's or 2k.

Loyalty to heroes.

Jealousy and envy clouding judgments.

I know what I know and that's good enough for me.

All of that certainly factors into it but I still enjoy having these debates with people nonetheless, part of what makes sports so enjoyable for me is being able to debate stuff like this with other people.

I feel like that argument got thrown out a lot these last couple weeks and couldn't really stand up to scrutiny, even on NFLN and places of that ilk. It seems to have been more or less debunked on most major news outlets. Even Kurt Warner, for crying out loud, admitted that he'd take Brady over Montana because 7 Super Bowls is better than 4.

Utimately, doesn't matter...apparently there are still people that think Bradshaw is the GOAT. You can't convince everyone.

I personally think Unitas is the best QB ever. He changed the position forever. When you're talking about best ever it's a matter of splitting hairs and opinions. Especially across different eras. Brady is an all time great. Now that I think of it it was very cool to watch his transformation from the start of his career into a dominant force

The argument is dumb, look at the whole picture, Montana didn't lose in a Super Bowl because he lost before he made it that far more often than not. Any logical person can see that. So people diminish what Brady has accomplished because he made it further into the playoffs more often? Dumb. The debate is over.

I personally think Unitas is the best QB ever. He changed the position forever. When you're talking about best ever it's a matter of splitting hairs and opinions. Especially across different eras. Brady is an all time great. Now that I think of it it was very cool to watch his transformation from the start of his career into a dominant force

I just don't think you can really compare era's. The NFL is more complex now and its evolved over time. Rule changes protect player safety and favor offenses generally. But I still think the game has evolved greatly and its hard to compare.

I agree that it's splitting hairs. I'll take Brady but you can make an argument for any number of QB's.

Obviously its better to lose in the conference championship game or earlier than to lose in the SB. Because only true winners lose in the opening rounds of the playoffs instead of the SB. Its the reason why Rodgers is better than Brady. He's undefeated in SBs but he's about to rival Marino, Payton and Favre in playoff futility.

Two more days and there will be no more debate.

This is a foolish argument. Montana had NO competition in the SB. Back in the 80s the best teams were from the NFC - giants, 49ers, bears, redskins. The super bowl WAS the NFCCG. Montana did not fare as well in NFCCG, losing to the redskins and giants. Not to mention that rear end kicking by the giants in the 86' divisional by a score of 46-3.

Last edited:
This is a foolish argument. Montana had NO real competition in the SB. Back in the 80s the best teams were from the NFC - giants, 49ers, bears, redskins. The super bowl WAS the NFCCG. Montana did not fare as well in NFCCG, losing to the redskins and giants. Not to mention that rear end kicking by a score of 46-3 by the giants in the 86' divisional.

One thing about Brady - every team he and the Patriots have beaten in the Super Bowl were all REALLY good teams. Sunday he's playing another really good team. No tomato cans at all.

Even the two Giants teams while a notch or two below the others had some qualities that put them in a class above some of the tomato cans that Montana beat in the SB.

Last edited:
3-the-big-lebowski-quotes.gif

everyone reset the clock, it has now been zero days since someone posted a thread about if its better to lose a superbowl, vs making it to a superbowl.

This is a foolish argument. Montana had NO real competition in the SB. Back in the 80s the best teams were from the NFC - giants, 49ers, bears, redskins. The super bowl WAS the NFCCG. Montana did not fare as well in NFCCG, losing to the redskins and giants. Not to mention that rear end kicking by a score of 46-3 by the giants in the 86' divisional.

The came within a play of losing vs CIN twice.

Trent Dilfer is 1-0 in Super Bowls
Brett Favre is 1-1. Russell Wilson is also 1-1.

Logically, I guess that means Dilfer is the better QB than both of them.

I can take this kind of argument to school all day.

4-0 is better than 4-2 in my opinion. But 4-0 is not better than 5-2. But 4-0 being better than 4-2 doesn't make Montana better than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3