PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Interview With the 33rd Team

Why do people reply to Crawhammer? Masochistic type of thing? Clearly his post is absurd. Isn't ignoring repeated obtuse posts the correct response?
I made that mistake a couple of times, then I realized that his purpose in life is to start arguments with people, so now I just ignore him.

Stories with morals usually are an extreme example. Let me go with one we can all remember. 2018 SB run. Who dominated in the TD stat? That's right. Sony Michel. Was he the best player on the field in those playoffs? Was he 2nd best? Or even 3rd? No, no, and **** no.

I don't remember a lot of extraordinary broken tackles by Michel. In fact, not many of the runs were all that memorable. But I vividly recall some blocks by Gronk and especially Devlin that sprung Sony for big gains.

THAT is the message. Using TD's to determine the impact or worth of a player is idiotic. It is so simplistic.
Not really but that's ok we can agree to disagree on the deduction of a TD.

Plus you're bringing up RBs to prove your points when it's a position that's become increasingly unimportant over the contemporary evolution of the game. Sony is example 1A... you know that ******** about "any top 15 quarterback"?... well we could accurately say that about Sony but you could increase it to any top 25 running back.

You began this by saying that Slater's contributions (or "contributions") were unimportant. A player who is universally regarded by football coaches/experts as a premier ST player is virtually meaningless according to you. It's A dumb take.
Compile a list of the 500 greatest players in the history of the NFL. Stop when you finally get to Slater, or just stop at 500, by then maybe you'll get the point.

Why do people reply to Crawhammer? Masochistic type of thing? Clearly his post is absurd. Isn't ignoring repeated obtuse posts the correct response?
Hypocrite.

That's the most stupid thing I've read on this board in quite a while.
Slater is a better special teams player than Devin Hester? Mitchell? Metcalf? Hall? Cribbs? Howard? Sanders? Let me know when I'm not asking a stupid question.

Mentioning Belichicks name is becoming like saying Beetlejuice, only you only have to mention it once for Crawhammer to show up making an ignorant point consistent with a fantasy football level knowledge of the game.

Slater is a better special teams player than Devin Hester? Mitchell? Metcalf? Hall? Cribbs? Howard? Sanders? Let me know when I'm not asking a stupid question.
Don’t hold your breath.

Do you want to go through it? Because yes, actually, leaders in INTs and sacks are generally pretty damn good.

The top 15 all time sack leaders are in the NFL HOF or will be once eligible (Julius Peppers and Terrell Suggs).

14 of the 20 all time INT leaders are in the NFL HOF.
Terrell Buckley was a vastly superior CB to Darrelle Revis by this logic.

Career Special Teams TDs:

Devin Hester 20
Brian Mitchell 14
Eric Metcalf 13
Dante Hall 13
Josh Cribbs 11
Desmond Howard 10
Deion Sanders 9
Mel Gray 9
Darren Sproles 9
Jacoby Jones 9
Cordarrelle Patterson 9
Leon Washington 8
Gale Sayers 8
dozens of other STers in between
Matthew Slater 1 (FR in end zone)

But no matter, Slater is the GOAT.
Your myopic viewpoint just show how little you know about special teams, how they operate, the responsibilities AND actions that go into all those TD's you listed. It's not like Devon Hestor scored all those TD's on his own, but that small fact doesn't interest you in you never ending and totally UNSUCCESSFUL attempt to try and prove that You are smarter than Bill Bellickick.

AND beyond just TD's how other aspects of ST's affect the outcomes of game beyond KO and punt returns, as we saw on occasion last season. Why do you feel the need to INDIVIDUALIZE the game all the time when the beauty of the game is that so little of of the game IS about the individual.

Take a breath Don Quixote, and stop tilting at windmills and just enjoy the game.

Dude. You’re an absolutely incredible troll. I ****ing hate trolls, but you? You do it differently man. It’s like you’ve been living in an 80’s movie workout montage just marinating. Perfecting the tools of the trade. It’s oddly entertaining watching you get everyone so worked up. I mean, you say some asinine **** that no one should even remotely take seriously but you word it in a way that comes across as genuine. It’s next level and I applaud you.

Guilty. I bowed out after the third time back and forth when I realized the incoming vortex.

I guess I miss that special little Mahomes fan who blocked me. Now that I don't see his posts, I forgot how to recognize stupidity from the onset.
Lol…. I gave up reading them, too.
So perhaps you or someone else made the point that .... maybe having a Slater on your team means that the Devon Hester’s of the world don’t score as many times against you, either.

re the Slater discussion....I posted about this awhile back...for someone lauded as the greatest ST player of all time, he has an extremely low # of "impact plays" - blocked kicks, punts, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries compared to the career leaders in those categories.

Terrell Buckley was a vastly superior CB to Darrelle Revis by this logic.
Underrated DB Buckley but I never said he was better than Revis. Nor did I apply logic to suggest it.

Your myopic viewpoint just show how little you know about special teams, how they operate, the responsibilities AND actions that go into all those TD's you listed. It's not like Devon Hestor scored all those TD's on his own, but that small fact doesn't interest you in you never ending and totally UNSUCCESSFUL attempt to try and prove that You are smarter than Bill Bellickick.
Oh brother. I know it wasn't Hester alone v 11 players but he's doing the majority of the work of any individual player on a return... what don't you understand? And it's not like Hester scored all of those ST TDs with the same teammates... he did it over the course of a decade with 2 different teams (although the majority of it in Chicago). He's considered the best returner in the history of the league for a reason.

I'm not worried about being smarter than Belichick either, doesn't matter, isn't the point. He made a statement and I'm merely disputing it.

AND beyond just TD's how other aspects of ST's affect the outcomes of game beyond KO and punt returns, as we saw on occasion last season. Why do you feel the need to INDIVIDUALIZE the game all the time when the beauty of the game is that so little of of the game IS about the individual.
I disagree because you're overstating it. The game can't be "so little" about the individual when 6 of the last 9 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks are two players from three different teams. I'm guessing those 2 players are among a very short list of indispensable contributors to those championships.

John Hannah isn't being lauded as the GOAT STer. He's an all time G though... would you dispute that? He probably had dozens of plays too where he pancaked some defender that opened up a lane for an RB or gave his QB enough time to complete a big pass.

But yeah, I like points, so I'll favor the STers who actually contribute directly to the scoreboard.

Returners are a lot more important too as are any STers (K, P) who consistently handle the football. Slater's "contributions" should go relatively unnoticed because they're relatively unimportant.
So the other 10 guys blocking for the returner have zero affect on the play? This might be one of the all time worst takes I have read on here.

And a guy that plays on every ST squad is just as valuable if not more valuable than someone who contributes in one way.

But either way without the "other" 10 guys there are zero points from the returner.

So the other 10 guys blocking for the returner have zero affect on the play? This might be one of the all time worst takes I have read on here.
Show me anywhere when I said anything close to that. I'll repeat... the returner (of any other ST player on the return play) gets the largest percentage of credit for the return (generally speaking). You disagree with that??

When it comes to special teams, the players who typically handle the football (returners, punters, kickers, etc.) are most important to the outcome of the play.

And a guy that plays on every ST squad is just as valuable if not more valuable than someone who contributes in one way.
Than who for example? Seriously who is Slater more valuable than (on the field of play)? QB, WR1, WR2, WR3, RB1, RB2, TE1, TE2, LT, LG, C, RG, RT... anyone? How about the defensive starters?... DBs, LBs, DL, edge rushers? STers... returners, kickers, punters? Who?... gives me names.

Show me anywhere when I said anything close to that. I'll repeat... the returner (of any other ST player on the return play) gets the largest percentage of credit for the return (generally speaking). You disagree with that??

When it comes to special teams, the players who typically handle the football (returners, punters, kickers, etc.) are most important to the outcome of the play.

Than who for example? Seriously who is Slater more valuable than (on the field of play)? QB, WR1, WR2, WR3, RB1, RB2, TE1, TE2, LT, LG, C, RG, RT... anyone? How about the defensive starters?... DBs, LBs, DL, edge rushers? STers... returners, kickers, punters? Who?... gives me names.
Most return TDs are untouched. The blocking is 99% of the success.

Most return TDs are untouched. The blocking is 99% of the success.
That's a brutal take, bro. Hester ran in a straight line through a gapping hole 99% of the time. You need to familiarize yourself with NFL films. I'll give you dozens of clips of great individual return efforts. Show me one career highlight of Slater making a major block to spring a return TD. After you can't find that then move onto any BIG play career highlight.

That's a brutal take, bro. Hester ran in a straight line through a gapping hole 99% of the time. You need to familiarize yourself with NFL films. I'll give you dozens of clips of great individual return efforts. Show me one career highlight of Slater making a major block to spring a return TD. After you can't find that then move onto any BIG play career highlight.
Right, blocking doesn’t matter. Just like the other 52 players don’t matter it’s all the QB.
Your fantasy football soaked perspective is weak.

Slater will end up in the hall of fame, so perhaps you should pop in some take and learn the game.

re the Slater discussion....I posted about this awhile back...for someone lauded as the greatest ST player of all time, he has an extremely low # of "impact plays" - blocked kicks, punts, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries compared to the career leaders in those categories.
Larry Whigham was better and was also a good Nickel/Dime guy for the Pats.

Right, blocking doesn’t matter. Just like the other 52 players don’t matter it’s all the QB.
Your fantasy football soaked perspective is weak.
Is this stupid comebacks-ville or what? Seriously the only way you can refute my statement is with the same hyperbolic reply? I never said blocking doesn't matter or the other 52 players don't matter at all. Blocking is important on a return however you're talking the combined effort of 10 players against the singular effort of the 1 returner. Again, the returner is not the only important player on a return, he's the most important. The QB is not only important player of all 53, he's (generally) the most important, especially if you're talking an elite talent like Brady, Mahomes, Allen, or Jackson.

Slater will end up in the hall of fame, so perhaps you should pop in some take and learn the game.
Patriots HOF because of all of the homer takes on his career. But NFL HOF would be a complete joke. I don't see it happening, there's just no way to justify it.

Is this stupid comebacks-ville or what? Seriously the only way you can refute my statement is with the same hyperbolic reply? I never said blocking doesn't matter or the other 52 players don't matter at all. Blocking is important on a return however you're talking the combined effort of 10 players against the singular effort of the 1 returner. Again, the returner is not the only important player on a return, he's the most important. The QB is not only important player of all 53, he's (generally) the most important, especially if you're talking an elite talent like Brady, Mahomes, Allen, or Jackson.

Patriots HOF because of all of the homer takes on his career. But NFL HOF would be a complete joke. I don't see it happening, there's just no way to justify it.
The returner gets nowhere without blocks. Your argument is akin to saying OL isn’t important the running back is more important, which is ridiculous.

I understand you don’t know the game, but you should have learned something by now. Your arrogance is an impediment to your education.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back