PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick simulating opposition (Wall St Journal article)--Thanks to Ian for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.

supafly

Eff you, Shula
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Here is a great article from the Wall St Journal as it pertains to Belichick's moves made on the practice squad to help simulate real game players. It proves that he continues to be a step ahead in his use of all 61 slots, and provides an insight on why they so often change.

It was the reason why we brought in Orton a couple of weeks ago, as his 6'3" frame is exactly the same as Demarius Thomas. It would seem that Belichick was indeed thinking ahead a bit in terms of us moving ahead of IND and facing DEN in the conference championship.

Another move was the decision to bring in Sam McGuffie right at the end of the season, who was an exact clone for RB Jamaal Charles at 5'10" 200 lbs. It is interesting to hear of all of the reasons why fans believe that some of these players can be the "next big thing" here, but the reality is that their stay will probably be a short one more often than not.

Ian originally posted a link to the article yesterday on the home page, so he gets the credit here. I was concerned that such a great view on this practice may not get the attention that it deserved, and that it may get lost in the shuffle. Enjoy!

Why Bill Belichick Really Is a Mad Scientist - WSJ.com

Re: Belichick simulating opposition (Wall St Journal article)--Thanks to Ian for the

PJ-BS688_SP_CLO_P_20140115221312.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA............AHAHAHAHAHHAahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Belichick simulating opposition (Wall St Journal article)--Thanks to Ian for the

Thanks for the read. Really, Belichick is an astute mind and a shrewd operator. We're really quite lucky to live in an age where he's the Head Coach of the team we all love and support.

Mad Scientist?? Do not want to sound snobbish, but isn't this the type of stuff we have heard and known about for a while now.

Imagine about 20 other coaches waking up this morning, scratching their heads and saying gee whiz that is a good idea.

Man. if this game doesn't come soon my god damned head is going to explode.....

Very good read. Thanks for that link!

Thanks for the read. Really, Belichick is an astute mind and a shrewd operator. We're really quite lucky to live in an age where he's the Head Coach of the team we all love and support.

Belichick is the most intelligent HC in the NFL.

BB becomes pals with Rutgers Schiano and teaches him the Pats defense creating a virtual farm team to draft from. Logan Ryans transition to the NFL game was easier because he already knew some of NEs defense before putting the pads on. Then old pal Schiano trades Talib NEs best CB since Ty Law and Blount best power RB since Corey Dillion to NE. A 7th round pick and Jeff Demps for Blount who NE is going to ride all the way to East Rutherford? Sometimes you just have to have shake your head and laugh.

His relationships with other college coaches are invaluable. Im convinced that UA Nick Saban has given BB the heads up on SEC talent like Jamie Collins, BJGE and Brandon Bolden. UF/OSU Urban Meyer has made BB a better offensive coach. Fresno State Pat Hill brought us Logan Mankins who some national NFL pundits are saying is the meanest, nasty OL in the NFL today.

Belichick play chess on a whole different level while others play checkers.

The only potentially troubling thing about practicing against a guy with the same size and speed is when the real guy is just a bit faster, stronger, smarter, and much better, I wonder if it throws the d off a little as they're expecting that 'cant make the nfl' player to be lining up against them

The only potentially troubling thing about practicing against a guy with the same size and speed is when the real guy is just a bit faster, stronger, smarter, and much better, I wonder if it throws the d off a little as they're expecting that 'cant make the nfl' player to be lining up against them

As it happens, I've had a lot of experience preparing people for one-shot events -- tests and interviews, for instance. My belief is that, though nothing can completely replicate the real thing, the more that you have familiarized yourself with parts of what is going to happen, the better and more confident you are at adapting to what's different.

Sounds great, but most of the examples are of preparing for receivers who went on to have 100 yard games against the Patriots anyway.

Refreshing to read this kind of article; it's rare to find something that's intelligent and original on the event of a big game. Thanks for the link!

Sounds great, but most of the examples are of preparing for receivers who went on to have 100 yard games against the Patriots anyway.

I don't the numbers reflect the efficacy of it because imo TY Hilton really didn't hurt the patriots last week and i don't remember Thomas really hurting them in that Denver game. I feel like this strategy has helped them immensely because it mimics what a team is trying to accomplish and even if the replication isn't exact it gives the players the feel for what they are facing. Whether it is Brady against the Brooms or Dunn as Hilton their is merit to trying to emulate what they will see before they see it. I can't count the times I have heard of Patriot practice squad and back-up players being lauded for aiding their preparation for a big game.

Seems like a risk and looking way too ahead in the future. For example, we never faced Jamaal Charles.

Seems like a risk and looking way too ahead in the future. For example, we never faced Jamaal Charles.

Last I knew MacGuffie was still on the PS. There's really no risk in it at all other than possibly losing the 61st player on the roster. Beyond that they may well find hidden gems when doing this that they keep around and end up making the team and contributing down the road, and given their track record for turning undrafted players into good players i wouldn't be surprised if it has happened before.

I don't the numbers reflect the efficacy of it because imo TY Hilton really didn't hurt the patriots last week and i don't remember Thomas really hurting them in that Denver game. I feel like this strategy has helped them immensely because it mimics what a team is trying to accomplish and even if the replication isn't exact it gives the players the feel for what they are facing. Whether it is Brady against the Brooms or Dunn as Hilton their is merit to trying to emulate what they will see before they see it. I can't count the times I have heard of Patriot practice squad and back-up players being lauded for aiding their preparation for a big game.

The numbers don't contradict it being a good strategy.

They do,however, somewhat detract from the earth-shaking brilliance of the good strategy.

The numbers don't contradict it being a good strategy.

They do,however, somewhat detract from the earth-shaking brilliance of the good strategy.

I don't consider it "earth shaking brilliant strategy" to begin with, more of an intelligent approach to preparation. Like pretty much everything else in football however i find the numbers to be misleading at best. If you thought TY Hilton killed them that's fine, i didn't, in fact i thought he was pretty much a non factor so his numbers really didn't matter much to me.

What I think is great is the way Marshall Faulk goes all blinky and starts stuttering whenever he talks about one of those examples, the SB in 2001. That alone is pure gold, no matter how many yards he had.

PJ-BS688_SP_CLO_P_20140115221312.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA............AHAHAHAHAHHAahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given the amount of work put into this for the sake of a chuckle, I both admire and fear the artist. :D

Huard wasn't nearly as good of a quarterback as Manning was in 2004 but he still helped the team by simulating him.

This is a common practice. My boss' son was a wide receiver for UCLA back in the late 90's. Big kid and fast too. Made a career out of jumping from team to team pretending to be Randy Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes