PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bernard Pollard is available; released by Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Bernard Pollard is available; released by Ravens

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Bernard Pollard had base salaries of $2 million, $2.8 million and $2.8 million and cap figures of $3.25 million; $3.55 million in '14, '15

Well, he could get more on the open market now. He is the only good strong safety on the market and most of the other safeties are free safeties.

What I don't get is with a relatively low cap number, why would they cut him? The Flacco deal looks even more ridiculous now if they are going to lose most of their defense because they don't have cap space to keep them.

I just hate the guy, to the extent that I don't think I could stop hating him even if he became a Patriot. Surprised that the Ravens cut him for so little in cap savings, though. Kinda crazy that they're feeling this kind of crunch now, in the first and most team-friendly year of Flacco's deal.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Bernard Pollard had base salaries of $2 million, $2.8 million and $2.8 million and cap figures of $3.25 million; $3.55 million in '14, '15

That hardly seems prohibitively expensive, especially given someone like Grover Quin who's seeking ~5mm.

Pollard would be a much better fit here than Reed and he would absolutely fill a need.

I love Reed but with McCourty and Gregory we don't need another FS we need a guy like Pollard. Someone who can set the tone.

Our defense isn't missing talent, it's missing attitude. Pollard would bring that in spades.

The Pats use a lot more split safety than FS and SS, but Reed and McCourty would be fighting for time as the captain of the secondary. And even with a split safety system, Pollard brings more to the table in terms of different skill sets than what the Pats currently have than Reed.

As long as he doesn't ever practice vs. the number 1 offense.

Truth. That jackass nearly took out Matt Cassel in Chiefs TC in 2009 the same way he did Brady in 2008.

If the Patriots signed this guy, somehow he'd end up on IR mid way through the 1st quarter of the 1st game of the season, and we'd all :confused:

I just hate the guy, to the extent that I don't think I could stop hating him even if he became a Patriot. Surprised that the Ravens cut him for so little in cap savings, though. Kinda crazy that they're feeling this kind of crunch now, in the first and most team-friendly year of Flacco's deal.

Root for the uniform. I never liked Moss, hated Dillon, and hated Haynesworth. I just held my nose and rooted for the uniform. I hate Pollard. Will hate him if he becomes a Patriot. But if he becomes a Patriot, I will root for him and hopes he is an All Pro.

Please o please o please the last thing we want is him in the division going unblocked on a blitz taking 12 out this needs to happen or he needs to go NFC
I'd love to hear the conversation between him and Belichick
Ring.
Bernard
Hello
Bill
Ok so we need to talk
You've been taking out a lot of our guys so we have
2 options your signature or brains on the contract
Our enforcer Mr Adams is at your door

Bernard
So that's what he does for you.

Bill
Bernard I think you know to much
Bernard I'm signing sir

Bill great to have you onboard by the way you are on IR
Nice doing business with you.

Bernard
(With a tremble in his voice)
Go pats

Bill
Click

This is the 'Rodney' type guy we've missed in our secondary, Chung tried but failed. The guy is hard hitting and lets face it he didnt mean to intentionally hurt TFB or Gronk

For such a low cap number i'd have him in Foxboro tomorrow

sign him,

Even if he costs 3 mil a year we will save that in which ever pats player he injures that year if he played for someone else.

BB, make it so.

Pollard would be a much better fit here than Reed and he would absolutely fill a need.

I love Reed but with McCourty and Gregory we don't need another FS we need a guy like Pollard. Someone who can set the tone.

Our defense isn't missing talent, it's missing attitude. Pollard would bring that in spades.

I'd prefer a safety or a LB that could get in the same zip code covering TEs instead. McCourty could do that but he's the FS.

Prediction...Pollard a Jet. You read it here first. Landry's cheaper replacement.

As a few others have mentioned the Ravens don't save that much from this. Makes me a little skeptical but I don't know their cap situation. I'd give him a call and see how much he wants. Wouldn't give him anything that big.

Does anybody else think that we could transition to the more traditional FS / SS with McCourty looking good at FS? Before you point to BB's history, let me point out how many said we'd always be a 3-4 team while we we transitioning to the 4-3.

OT but Ravens are now down Boldin, Lewis, Pollard, Ellerbe and Kruger. They're losing Reed either this off season or in a year or two. And I believe Torey Smith and Pitta are on rookie contracts but I'm not sure. They have a lot of work to do. :)

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

League source on Bernard Pollard: "Three teams in how many years. Soon four. What does that tell you?"

I'd prefer a safety or a LB that could get in the same zip code covering TEs instead. McCourty could do that but he's the FS.

Prediction...Pollard a Jet. You read it here first. Landry's cheaper replacement.

Yep, just what i was thinking. Pollard has the Patriot hate required to get a big contract in NY. I would go hard after Reed rather than try to get Pollard, if the Patriots could get reed it would help them and gut the middle of the ravens secondary.

Bernard Pollard is available(Released by Ravens per tweet)

Sign him NOW, if the price is reasonable

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

League source on Bernard Pollard: "Three teams in how many years. Soon four. What does that tell you?"
Not much, considering he just won a superbowl.

Hope the Pats look at this guy. Brings toughness to the defense.

Not a guy that the Pats want. He's the kind of player most hurt by the new tight end fad. Stop looking at all of the big hits and watch him actually attempt to play in coverage. It's not pretty.

Better to have him inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes