PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

I'm kinda in the boat right now of hoping we can get 2 OT's this draft. Maybe a future starter (after one of Brown / Wynn leaves) and a good backup. In addition to an IOL as well.
Why would you draft 2 OTs in this draft? You already have Herron who showed he was a competent swing tackle. Typically the Patriots have only carried 4 OTs on the main roster for a majority of BB's tenure. They have typically carried 2 extra O-line on the PS. Though that changed with COVID and the new PS rules.

There are currently 5 OT on the roster in Wynn, Brown, Herron, Cajuste, and Cunningham. The last two are HUGE question marks and I would agree to adding an OT to take the place of one of them.. I just can't see a spot for 2 unless the 2nd OT was a UDFA..

I think we'll see 3 O-line drafted.. A OC/OG, an OG/OT, and a OT.. I wouldn't be surprised to see at double dip at OC/OG because I wouldn't be surprised if BB carried an extra Interior linemen with Thuney gone.

Why would you draft 2 OTs in this draft? You already have Herron who showed he was a competent swing tackle. Typically the Patriots have only carried 4 OTs on the main roster for a majority of BB's tenure. They have typically carried 2 extra O-line on the PS. Though that changed with COVID and the new PS rules.

There are currently 5 OT on the roster in Wynn, Brown, Herron, Cajuste, and Cunningham. The last two are HUGE question marks and I would agree to adding an OT to take the place of one of them.. I just can't see a spot for 2 unless the 2nd OT was a UDFA..
Was thinking 2 OT just to seize the apparent opportunity for good value from a deep draft this year since both Wynn and Brown are likely UFA next year. But, you raise a really good point in the roster #'s game - unlikely there is room for 2 on the 53 man.

A bit OT from this thread, but do we know what the roster rules are likely to be for '21 season?

Was thinking 2 OT just to seize the apparent opportunity for good value from a deep draft this year since both Wynn and Brown are likely UFA next year. But, you raise a really good point in the roster #'s game - unlikely there is room for 2 on the 53 man.

A bit OT from this thread, but do we know what the roster rules are likely to be for '21 season?
I believe that Wynn will be given a 5th year option in all honesty..

A few post-first wave of FA / pre draft, Bacon bits on the WR position.

Bill has done a very good job adding talent - building depth at the position. Giving us some flexibility in there for the short term. To continue to build around Cam or just build the team up for the next QB. So the premise of this post is "no QB" early (at 15, trade up) this year. So we're kicking that can down the road until next year at least.

WR - what do we have ... plenty of options for short & intermediate areas. KB/Meyers to work flat-sidelines, slant/curl. Dynamic duo to work MOF - crossers/seam. NA can stretch the field outside and from the slot. We're definitely set in terms of possession, controlling mof, sidelines.

What do we need?
Speed, we still need speed to hurt & threaten teams both vertically & horizontally.
Doesn't have to be a 80+ rec guy but a true X/Z wouldn't hurt either. The WR room looks better for sure but we absolutely could use an alpha.
The TE is set unless Pitts falls and even then Bill might be set with what we have. Still though Pitts will see plenty of time outside. He would be tough to pass up. Henry inline, Smith detached/back field/a lot and Pitts split out. Good luck. Anyway ...

Options at 15?
Everyone knows the big names or big 3. If you're fine with Cam this year, not necessarily in love with the QB class. Two of these guys would be WR1/maybe Target1 by the end of the year imo. And the other could be your WR1 by early next year.

Chase would immediately bring in attitude, toughness-physicality as an X and slot. He pushed Justin Jefferson to WR2 at LSU when he was 19 yo. Chase is a bully with some finesse in his game. A beast at contested catches. He attacks the ball with a "my ball" mentality. I think his release game is really good but could get a lot better once he stops making it a fight more than it has to. Some coaching could go a long way. He loves imposing his will. Loves to swipe but gets caught up in too much contact. Plays a bit too high. He's an alpha that will help shape your WR room. He's a cross between DJ Moore & AJ Brown imo.

Smith is a r/r demon that looks like a pro off the line. So polished, his release game reminds you of an all-pro like Davante Adams. Could line up anywhere. In Pitt he might be an X. Slot/Z over here I'd guess but you're moving him all over. Tiny but tough af and will make big plays down field and in the air. He's also extremely smart. Just show him his locker and get him stronger. He's a cross between Calvin Ridley and Step Diggs.

Waddle is the wildcard. Different speed and acceleration than most athletes on the same field. I watch him run and feel the explosion off his strides. He's the something else every team wants. You can't help but think of Ty Hill. Burst and acceleration are real. He's deadly on overs (Yankee all day), can take it to the house from anywhere and has as much upside as any WR in the class. Perfect situation since we're not looking for a 100 rec a year type.

If they're gone, here are 5 guys that would make an impact and seemingly have a fit with how the WR room is shaping up. We could either trade back for or grab one at 46 or get later ...

Got me thinking (yes, it hurt) A few years ago Shanahan really wanted Deebo for a specific role. Motion-handoffs, yac guy, couple carries/reverse a game, toughness, speed, blocking. Enough speed to contribute a few 20+ rec. Looking around, it sure looks like the Pats could use one of them right about now? We have a few chain movers, guys that can control the MOF, NA to stretch the field. We've shown that we want to use motion, understand it's importance and seen the effects it can have.

Moore (2nd) is a little ball of electricity. Twitchy, powerful, fast, elusive and chess piece. Big time yac, "get the ball in his hands" prospect but has a lot of upside running mesh, crossers ... In breaking stuff. More than enough speed to work outside but it's a work in progress. Young dude that is a beast in the weight room too. His best football is in front of him.

Tutu (3rd-4th) - speed - motion/orbit, screens, Deep threat from the slot off PA. Small and limited but could be a nice 3rd/4th option with big play ability. Get him in off coverage, free release vs bigger bodies.

Amon St Brown (2nd) has lined up everywhere and was asked to do everything. Split, slot, motion, back field/carries, tough blocker. He's been training like and with pro's for years (father is former Mr Universe and World) and approaches this like a pro. He could fit in anywhere to start. Again he's lined up all over the place and would work in 2 WR sets imo (which we could be in a lot) And would be solid depth if anyone gets hurt.

Dwayne Eskridge (3rd-4th) played both CB/WR showing unselfishness, mental toughness and athletic ability. Playmaker with big play ability outside. Needs help with his r/r and hopefully some coaching will allow the game to slow down for him. Once he gets the ball in his hands he can plant, cut, make a guy miss and take off. Played RB and ran track in hs. ST value. He's a nice third-fourth round option

Isaiah McKoy (late-udfa) is a prospect with good size, put on 15+ lbs over the past year I believe. Listed at 180 came into pro day at 200. Play speed is a lot better than his time 4.58-4.62 I heard. Tough, physical guy that is a + run blocker. Knows His role. Knows he has to work harder to really make it. We were at his pro day.
https://twitter.com/HustleBelt/status/1326341576600264719?s=19

According to Daniel Jeremiah, the Pats are very high on Justin Fields

Mills thoughts

I've been pumping Mills for a while now. Probably higher on him than most but I'm very intrigued. Less than a season worth of starts but he looked good recently. Very smart, poised with good footwork. He reminds me of Daniel Jones in that regard. Base, feet, core all strong, working together. Team capt. Arm talent won't wow you but its better than good enough. I think he's perfect for a lot of RPO/PA, hes really good at working the MOF in general but put something together like that and give him a year to train, learn the system. Adjust to life in the NFL. Its a huge jump in terms of experience. He'll need a lot of help at first but he's a little presence and command about him.

According to Daniel Jeremiah, the Pats are very high on Justin Fields

I'm not surprised. He was on my board, took him off bc of where I think he'll go but he might go back on. I think him and Lance will be QB 1 & 2 on our board. Obviously Lawrence is too far away.

Not easy at all. Most just see the games or whatnot. These guys are together more than they're with their family for half the year. You look at the Wilson situation and others. Some are easy to see but most of the time you'll never have a good outlook on a 19 or 21 yo kid. Plus the money. You'll never know how that can change someone. Even NFL teams will have this info and still get it wrong. Not easy.

A few post-first wave of FA / pre draft, Bacon bits on the WR position.

Bill has done a very good job adding talent - building depth at the position. Giving us some flexibility in there for the short term. To continue to build around Cam or just build the team up for the next QB. So the premise of this post is "no QB" early (at 15, trade up) this year. So we're kicking that can down the road until next year at least.

WR - what do we have ... plenty of options for short & intermediate areas. KB/Meyers to work flat-sidelines, slant/curl. Dynamic duo to work MOF - crossers/seam. NA can stretch the field outside and from the slot. We're definitely set in terms of possession, controlling mof, sidelines.

What do we need?
Speed, we still need speed to hurt & threaten teams both vertically & horizontally.
Doesn't have to be a 80+ rec guy but a true X/Z wouldn't hurt either. The WR room looks better for sure but we absolutely could use an alpha.
The TE is set unless Pitts falls and even then Bill might be set with what we have. Still though Pitts will see plenty of time outside. He would be tough to pass up. Henry inline, Smith detached/back field/a lot and Pitts split out. Good luck. Anyway ...

Options at 15?
Everyone knows the big names or big 3. If you're fine with Cam this year, not necessarily in love with the QB class. Two of these guys would be WR1/maybe Target1 by the end of the year imo. And the other could be your WR1 by early next year.

Chase would immediately bring in attitude, toughness-physicality as an X and slot. He pushed Justin Jefferson to WR2 at LSU when he was 19 yo. Chase is a bully with some finesse in his game. A beast at contested catches. He attacks the ball with a "my ball" mentality. I think his release game is really good but could get a lot better once he stops making it a fight more than it has to. Some coaching could go a long way. He loves imposing his will. Loves to swipe but gets caught up in too much contact. Plays a bit too high. He's an alpha that will help shape your WR room. He's a cross between DJ Moore & AJ Brown imo.

Smith is a r/r demon that looks like a pro off the line. So polished, his release game reminds you of an all-pro like Davante Adams. Could line up anywhere. In Pitt he might be an X. Slot/Z over here I'd guess but you're moving him all over. Tiny but tough af and will make big plays down field and in the air. He's also extremely smart. Just show him his locker and get him stronger. He's a cross between Calvin Ridley and Step Diggs.

Waddle is the wildcard. Different speed and acceleration than most athletes on the same field. I watch him run and feel the explosion off his strides. He's the something else every team wants. You can't help but think of Ty Hill. Burst and acceleration are real. He's deadly on overs (Yankee all day), can take it to the house from anywhere and has as much upside as any WR in the class. Perfect situation since we're not looking for a 100 rec a year type.

If they're gone, here are 5 guys that would make an impact and seemingly have a fit with how the WR room is shaping up. We could either trade back for or grab one at 46 or get later ...

Got me thinking (yes, it hurt) A few years ago Shanahan really wanted Deebo for a specific role. Motion-handoffs, yac guy, couple carries/reverse a game, toughness, speed, blocking. Enough speed to contribute a few 20+ rec. Looking around, it sure looks like the Pats could use one of them right about now? We have a few chain movers, guys that can control the MOF, NA to stretch the field. We've shown that we want to use motion, understand it's importance and seen the effects it can have.

Moore (2nd) is a little ball of electricity. Twitchy, powerful, fast, elusive and chess piece. Big time yac, "get the ball in his hands" prospect but has a lot of upside running mesh, crossers ... In breaking stuff. More than enough speed to work outside but it's a work in progress. Young dude that is a beast in the weight room too. His best football is in front of him.

Tutu (3rd-4th) - speed - motion/orbit, screens, Deep threat from the slot off PA. Small and limited but could be a nice 3rd/4th option with big play ability. Get him in off coverage, free release vs bigger bodies.

Amon St Brown (2nd) has lined up everywhere and was asked to do everything. Split, slot, motion, back field/carries, tough blocker. He's been training like and with pro's for years (father is former Mr Universe and World) and approaches this like a pro. He could fit in anywhere to start. Again he's lined up all over the place and would work in 2 WR sets imo (which we could be in a lot) And would be solid depth if anyone gets hurt.

Dwayne Eskridge (3rd-4th) played both CB/WR showing unselfishness, mental toughness and athletic ability. Playmaker with big play ability outside. Needs help with his r/r and hopefully some coaching will allow the game to slow down for him. Once he gets the ball in his hands he can plant, cut, make a guy miss and take off. Played RB and ran track in hs. ST value. He's a nice third-fourth round option

Isaiah McKoy (late-udfa) is a prospect with good size, put on 15+ lbs over the past year I believe. Listed at 180 came into pro day at 200. Play speed is a lot better than his time 4.58-4.62 I heard. Tough, physical guy that is a + run blocker. Knows His role. Knows he has to work harder to really make it. We were at his pro day.
https://twitter.com/HustleBelt/status/1326341576600264719?s=19

Waddle’s speed makes me think of Spinal Tap. “This one goes to 11”....he just has an extra gear compared to anyone else on the field.

I have a non-sexual crush on Moore. My number one hope is that they trade up into the top 10 to draft Lance or Fields but barring that, I’d love for them to go defense at 15 (Parsons or Paye, in particular) and then Moore at 45.

Waddle’s speed makes me think of Spinal Tap. “This one goes to 11”....he just has an extra gear compared to anyone else on the field.

I have a non-sexual crush on Moore. My number one hope is that they trade up into the top 10 to draft Lance or Fields but barring that, I’d love for them to go defense at 15 (Parsons or Paye, in particular) and then Moore at 45.
Exactly I've been trying to fill in the holes after FA and he would take this WR corp to another level. Him and NA in 2 WR sets with Henry & Smith could be sweet. Lots of room to play with considering both our TE can line up outside as an X.

I'm also warming up to a Parsons, Paye, maybe trade back for another rush type. With Uche, Judon, HT, Wino etc our pass rush group is pretty close to having real potential. Both Parsons & Collins can rush the passer. Get another rush in here and a pass rushing DT and we're in business.

I’d love for them to go defense at 15 (Parsons or Paye, in particular) and then Moore at 45.

I'd be very happy with Parsons, Paye, or Zaven Collins with the first round pick. Wouldn't waste a pick on WR given that the Patriots suck at evaluating and drafting high pick WRs, and also because we just spent huge money on 2 new WRs and 2 new TEs, and we still have Jacoby Meyers who is a 1200-yard receiver if he plays a full season. We still need to further bolster the defensive Front-7.

We're going to run the ball and try to control the MOF - intermediate areas when we pass. Take a few shots when we can but we're going to run ball and try to bully teams.
Expand and evolve off last year. Harris is a very good back I love him. RB2 for me coming out. Really solid everywhere. + vision, contact balance and toughness though. He'll need a break and probably should be capped off around 16-20 touches a game. We need help considering Rex's history and White's situation. I'm all for Taylor and think Sony is more than good enough as a RB2 but he's missed time and it's possible some value falls in our lap. If Rex and White leave we'll definitely need another player.

No options at 15 but I believe both Harris, ETN and Williams will go round one, top 40. I can't see us spending a top 50 pick on one but wouldn't be shocked, a little surprised but this is the type of team we want to be. If we get rid of Sony, maybe but Sony is more than good enough. The most intriguing would be ETN imo. His burst/acceleration, contact balance and speed would create an amazing 1-2 with Harris. Again though, unlikely.

I think we could get one of these guys later. 5 more guys ...

Kylin Hill (3rd) is a tough one cut, north south runner with good burst, contact balance & speed. Isn't afraid to lower his pads. Does a good job covering up for the most part. He's not running away from anyone but enough speed to break 30-40 chunks. Can pick up tough yards. Could be a little more decisive at times. Vision isn't quite as good as it could be. Not going to make a bunch of guys miss. Gets a little too cute at times and tries to stretch some stuff instead of getting up field where he's best. Here he'd spell Harris. Similar skill set but Harris does almost everything better. Harris has great vision though. Anyway Hill is a + rec who shown off body control and the ability to adjust in route due to bad balls. He's also good enough, + in pass pro depending on how tough you are. Not textbook, some good technique at times, others not so much. Willingness is there though so there's a lot to work with there. He actually could be a little more patient in pass pro letting the play develop, he wants to be involved though. Get him with a RB coach and have him understand his role to a T. 10-15 touches a game. Get positive yards, no TO, could be involved in pass game, no reason not to be and hold up in pass pro.

Chris Evans (4th-5th) is a potential 3rd down back with some upside to be more. Very natural pass catching ability. Good vision with some elusiveness in the open field. Late round option

Jermar Jefferson (4th) is another one-cut back with quickness and decent speed. Another thing the really impresses me is his ability to slide laterally through traffic. Tough runner with good vision. Some ability to run through contact. Pass pro can improve but there's plenty to work with. Tough runner I'll post clips (can only post 5 I believe)

Trey Sermon (4th) is a tough runner who would be a good fit in a IZ/Power scheme. Likes to finish. Pretty good vision, improved from school to school imo. So did decisiveness and strength. + rec back. Decent in pass pro. Ton of serious injuries that could make him fall or off the board for some. Back fracture, both knees and some other stuff.

Larry Rountree (3rd) is an explosive, strong runner with good vision, balance and finish. Patience could improve. He looks like a nice WZ/Stretch back but has some potential all over. His footwork working across the line or finding a crease outside is +. Pass pro is decent and has improved. Could and should get better. Ideal size as a bruiser, finisher type.

We're going to run the ball and try to control the MOF - intermediate areas when we pass. Take a few shots when we can but we're going to run ball and try to bully teams.
Expand and evolve off last year. Harris is a very good back I love him. RB2 for me coming out. Really solid everywhere. + vision, contact balance and toughness though. He'll need a break and probably should be capped off around 16-20 touches a game. We need help considering Rex's history and White's situation. I'm all for Taylor and think Sony is more than good enough as a RB2 but he's missed time and it's possible some value falls in our lap. If Rex and White leave we'll definitely need another player.

No options at 15 but I believe both Harris, ETN and Williams will go round one, top 40. I can't see us spending a top 50 pick on one but wouldn't be shocked, a little surprised but this is the type of team we want to be. If we get rid of Sony, maybe but Sony is more than good enough. The most intriguing would be ETN imo. His burst/acceleration, contact balance and speed would create an amazing 1-2 with Harris. Again though, unlikely.

I think we could get one of these guys later. 5 more guys ...

Kylin Hill (3rd) is a tough one cut, north south runner with good burst, contact balance & speed. Isn't afraid to lower his pads. Does a good job covering up for the most part. He's not running away from anyone but enough speed to break 30-40 chunks. Can pick up tough yards. Could be a little more decisive at times. Vision isn't quite as good as it could be. Not going to make a bunch of guys miss. Gets a little too cute at times and tries to stretch some stuff instead of getting up field where he's best. Here he'd spell Harris. Similar skill set but Harris does almost everything better. Harris has great vision though. Anyway Hill is a + rec who shown off body control and the ability to adjust in route due to bad balls. He's also good enough, + in pass pro depending on how tough you are. Not textbook, some good technique at times, others not so much. Willingness is there though so there's a lot to work with there. He actually could be a little more patient in pass pro letting the play develop, he wants to be involved though. Get him with a RB coach and have him understand his role to a T. 10-15 touches a game. Get positive yards, no TO, could be involved in pass game, no reason not to be and hold up in pass pro.

Chris Evans (4th-5th) is a potential 3rd down back with some upside to be more. Very natural pass catching ability. Good vision with some elusiveness in the open field. Late round option

Jermar Jefferson (4th) is another one-cut back with quickness and decent speed. Another thing the really impresses me is his ability to slide laterally through traffic. Tough runner with good vision. Some ability to run through contact. Pass pro can improve but there's plenty to work with. Tough runner I'll post clips (can only post 5 I believe)

Trey Sermon (4th) is a tough runner who would be a good fit in a IZ/Power scheme. Likes to finish. Pretty good vision, improved from school to school imo. So did decisiveness and strength. + rec back. Decent in pass pro. Ton of serious injuries that could make him fall or off the board for some. Back fracture, both knees and some other stuff.

Larry Rountree (3rd) is an explosive, strong runner with good vision, balance and finish. Patience could improve. He looks like a nice WZ/Stretch back but has some potential all over. His footwork working across the line or finding a crease outside is +. Pass pro is decent and has improved. Could and should get better. Ideal size as a bruiser, finisher type.

Wow, I like the look of Evans a lot and late 4-5th seems about right for a running back this year, given that the Pats have bigger needs to fill in the early rounds. Coincidentally, I took him a 177 last night in a PFN mock as a White replacement, although I didn’t know much about him, other than the fact that he has talent as a receiver out of the backfield.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back