PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo Bills hire Rex Ryan as head coach

at least he will concentrate on beating the Jets, because it is all about him.

Very astute observation - it will be very interesting to see which game - vs. Pats or vs. Jets - will be their "Super Bowl"?

So we still see him twice a year. Not sure if I like that. The Bills already have a great D and he will only make them better !!

First year Head Coach with the team eliminates them from contention for being on Hard Knocks doesn't it? That is unfortunate.

What's worse is its being reported that Ryans agent leaked out that Atlanta was his top choice.
But felt that Dimitrioff's interview didnt make him feel wanted even though Blank badly wanted him.
Rex's agent who is Josh's agent maybe tweeted that McDaniels to Atlanta is all but a certainty.
That being said we need to dial up Weis for OC. If that indeed occurs.
Still hoping Gase and Quinn and Bowles fill the spots between them.
I don't like the idea of Rex in Buff, Quinn in NYJ and us filling next man up at OC.

I'm also a bit "Rexxed out" but hopefully there will be far fewer news crews up in Buffalo to scoop up every drip of slobber from his mouth than there was in NY... Also hoping his hate for NY will outweigh his hate for the Pats. I think it will now.

On the down side, a scary Buffalo D probably gets even tougher. On the up side, your starting QB from last year retired, your #2 was benched because he can't do sh*t, and you bring in a coach who has ruined multiple young QBs. So I don't think the O needs to be feared at all...

TL;DR probably a similar team but more annoying.

I don't understand why he is still in demand as a HC when he failed so miserably to coach all three phases of the game in NY.

Agree. He seems to be able to get some players to play for him via his rah-rah style, but he loses others. He doesn't manage games well at all, which is one of the main things the head coach needs to be able to do. He makes bad play calls (or lets others make bad play calls for him) and he has bad clock management. Buffalo is nuts to spend $5.5M/yr for him to be head coach. He would be best off being a DC but hey if the Jills are throwing the big bucks at him he's certainly not going to reject it. All Rex did was put off his TV career a few years.

Good news for patriots. Up and coming bills are out of contention for 5 years.
Ryan style of defense does not win football games. It's a proven fact.

Good news for patriots. Up and coming bills are out of contention for 5 years.
Ryan style of defense does not win football games. It's a proven fact.
In a league where close games are the norm, Rex Ryan got an awful lot of credit for losing close games. After his 3-2 start with a very good top to bottom roster, he is 1-7 and oversaw the steep decline of his overall roster.

I don't know how DI sees him staying in the division a bad thing. If I thought he'd learn from his failures, I might be a bit more concerned because he is smart with a good football mind, just not a HC. But Ryan is so self absorbed with himself he is too egotistical to even contemplate his own weaknesses.

That's one of the hidden reasons for BB's success., He's so absorbed with winning and the challenge of the game, he probably has the smallest ego in the entire organization. What other coach wins a classic playoff game, and mentions several times how he has to coach better and essentially lays the blame for any failures directly at his own feet. He says it, because THAT's the way he truly feels. We look at the bad run defense, and complain, while he looks at it and sees what he could have to better prepare his team and gets pissed off at himself..

People forget that prior to the last 2 seasons, the Pats laid a long string of 30 burgers on Rex's defenses after the 2010 playoff loss. I don't doubt that once the OL rebuild is finished he won't start a new string,.

In the meantime its a plus for the division because Rex is so entertaining and a lightning rod. Its a plus because, despite the fact Rex will sell a lot of tickets for a couple of years, it will ensure that while the Bills may one day get to the playoffs (their overall talent is that good), there is little chance that THEY will be the team to supplant the Pats as masters of the division,.

Last edited:
All I can say is UGH..please

Bad move by the Bills. Smart move by Rex. Ryan has always been known as a defensive "genius" and he's making mediocrity and maintaining that reputation very easy by going to arguably the best or 2nd best defense in the league.

Bad move by the Bills. Smart move by Rex. Ryan has always been known as a defensive "genius" and he's making mediocrity and maintaining that reputation very easy by going to arguably the best or 2nd best defense in the league.

That may be his undoing. He's tunnel-vision on being able to work with pretty much the best D in the league, talent-wise, and ignoring the issues on offense, and the elephant in the room that is middle management. So essentially stands to repeat his experience in another part of NY.

But no first round pick for Rex to enjoy.

That was one terrible draft trade. It's not just that they gave up a 1st + 4th to move up a whopping 5 spots for a WR. It's that they did it in the deepest, richest WR draft in memory. Just sit tight and you end up with Odell Beckham, then enter this draft with a full slate of picks.

...I don't know how DI sees him staying in the division a bad thing...

I've seen what Ryan could do with a top defense in the past. It's moronic for people to dismiss that as if it doesn't matter. Brady's not getting any younger, and I'd rather not have one of the guy's who's been successful at putting him on the turf planning against him twice a year, especially if they retain Schwartz, as expected.

I'm surprised he took the gig, let's face it without offense he will end up in e same place he was before, he really doesn't have a good offense there in buffalo and now no #1 pick, wow, they must be hoping they can get hoyer or someone like that.

That was one terrible draft trade. It's not just that they gave up a 1st + 4th to move up a whopping 5 spots for a WR. It's that they did it in the deepest, richest WR draft in memory. Just sit tight and you end up with Odell Beckham, then enter this draft with a full slate of picks.

How about we wait a couple of years before determining something that happened on draft day "terrible". Watkins might end up the best WR in the game and a shoe-in for the HOF.

I'm not looking forward to Rex Ryan's schemes playing out with Buffalo's defensive talent.
Im looking forward to his impression of offensive football though. This is the man who at times couldnt answer media questions about what his offence did in a game because he wasnt paying attention.

I've seen what Ryan could do with a top defense in the past. It's moronic for people to dismiss that as if it doesn't matter. Brady's not getting any younger, and I'd rather not have one of the guy's who's been successful at putting him on the turf planning against him twice a year, especially if they retain Schwartz, as expected.

Because with or without Rex the Bills defense was already really good. I'd argue it was the best in the league by the end of the year.

Adding Rex doesn't change much. The Bills already had a top DC in Schwartz who was doing great things. They however have one of the worst offenses in the league. Adding a coach who has proven time and time again he is inept on offense and completely one dimensional as a coach is dumb.

Just plain dumb. Bills hired the guy for the headlines rather than making an actual football decision.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back