PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler visiting Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giardi posting clips of Gilmore shutting down Jordy Nelson in 2014.

That gets me more mad Butler is leaving. Ugh that D would be incredible.

so we get the 32 back? We can't be getting the 11 can we?

I can't imagine that the Saints think Cooks is worth 32 but Butler is worth 11. I hope I'm wrong.

a) We're most likely not getting the 11-th
b) We lost Logan Ryan and we're losing Butler, the two top corners in the team's best defense since 2004.

The secondary was fantastic this year and we completely gutted it for a guy that has never been an All Pro and hasn't played a single high pressure game in his life.

We had the best statistical defense in the league, we won the Super Bowl and Butler made the All-Pro team. Butler had a superior season to Gilmore's by any measurement and standard.

I mean if we bought Sherman, Peters or Talib, i'll understand but Gilmore wasn't even a Top 20 cornerback last year.
I think you will be surprised about Gilmore.

Wow I love your mentality
Your glass is never half empty is it?

I do agree with @JMC00 on Ryan and Sheard. With both, I think it's important to remember their full body of work here. They didn't set the bar outrageously high. Ryan had McCourty playing over the top of him on most snaps, because his deep speed was such a liability. At midseason, lots of us were counting the days until he left in FA, it got pretty bad. Then he got hot at the perfect time, put together a couple great months of football, and now that seems to be what everyone remembers to the exclusion of everything else. Ryan is that guy, but he's also the guy who got repeatedly abused in SB49, and over the last two years over various bad stretches in both regular seasons.

Whoever his replacement ends up being (probably C. Jones), it's fair to assume that he'll be a substantial downgrade in terms of reading the QB, undercutting routes, and tackling. Ryan was great at all of those things. But there are enough areas where he'll be able to easily improve on Ryan--starting with not being a major liability downfield--that I think the Pats will be fine. Thought that long before FA, and was relieved when the Pats didn't meet his $10M per year asking price.

Likewise, with Sheard, he just wasn't good this past year. He played much better when healthy in 2015, but in 2016 he was pretty much a replacement-level DE. I have no idea how he parlayed that into $8M per year with the Colts, but I guess that's what makes them the Colts. But given his level of play, I'm not worried at all about replacing him. Ealy should be able to do it and then some, and if not someone else will. Guys that can give you replacement-level production are, by definition, easy to find.

b) We lost Logan Ryan and we're losing Butler, the two top corners in the team's best defense since 2004.

The secondary was fantastic this year and we completely gutted it for a guy that has never been an All Pro and hasn't played a single high pressure game in his life.

We had the best statistical defense in the league, we won the Super Bowl and Butler made the All-Pro team. Butler had a superior season to Gilmore's by any measurement and standard.

I mean if we bought Sherman, Peters or Talib, i'll understand but Gilmore wasn't even a Top 20 cornerback last year.

Which makes this incredibly frustrating.

I know people will likely counter by saying "Pats let go of Revis and Browner in 2015". Yes that worked out well. I'll give that. But that doesn't mean I like gambling on "maybe better" players when I could have the certainty. I would love for Butler to be back for one more year to pair with Gilmore. I don't dislike Gilmore as a player at all. He's good. I just hate how the team has totally deconstructed the CB depth chart.

Going from butler, Ryan, Rowe to Gilmore, rowe, jones is a scary proposition.

Even if they can draft a CB high in the draft, I still wouldn't feel as good about him as I would having Butler. The team needs to add another CB somewhere.

Giardi posting clips of Gilmore shutting down Jordy Nelson in 2014.

That gets me more mad Butler is leaving. Ugh that D would be incredible.

He shut down beckham jr a couple of years
ago as well. Yes it's gonna suck and we might get number 32 only. How about giving us our 3rd rounder back.

I would rather see them keep Butler and Trade Garrapolo for the #12 overall plus a high pick in 2018. Keep the defense as strong as possible and supplement it with a Corner they can can get ready to replace Butler after this season.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Do not, I repeat do NOT trade Butler for a 32nd pick.

The talent is not there to justify trading an elite, shutdown CB like Butler

Lol!
You're about to be sadly disappointed friend.

Prior to last year, Gilmore was a top CB in the league. The Bills' defense sucked last year and couldn't pressure the QB and obviously affected him too.

Do not, I repeat do NOT trade Butler for a 32nd pick.

The talent is not there to justify trading an elite, shutdown CB like Butler

The Saints are not trading #11.

The Patriots are not signing Malcolm to the money he wants.

What do you suggest?

Of course it would but we won't be getting 1.11.

Well, then the Saints aren't getting Butler. The Saints have to give up their first for signing Butler as a RFA. Why would the Pats accept anything less?

Why wouldn't the Pats get the 11th pick? If not the 11th, they will get back the 32nd and a couple high picks. The Pats will get 11th pick value one way or another since that is the going rate for the Saints if they want to sign Butlter.

Maybe BB can polish him off and get a probowl season out of a motivated chip on his shoulder Revis.
He is at least capable of a Ryan like impact his cap shoudnt be over 6 Mill

Which makes this incredibly frustrating.

I know people will likely counter by saying "Pats let go of Revis and Browner in 2015". Yes that worked out well. I'll give that. But that doesn't mean I like gambling on "maybe better" players when I could have the certainty. I would love for Butler to be back for one more year to pair with Gilmore. I don't dislike Gilmore as a player at all. He's good. I just hate how the team has totally deconstructed the CB depth chart.

Going from butler, Ryan, Rowe to Gilmore, rowe, jones is a scary proposition.

Even if they can draft a CB high in the draft, I still wouldn't feel as good about him as I would having Butler. The team needs to add another CB somewhere.

What's really upsetting is people pretending we're giving away Malcolm Butler who only made one heroic SB play instead of Malcolm Butler, a Pro Bowl/All Pro player that was a key part of us having such a good defense this year.

When i read ''Butler's good but he's not a #1 CB'' when he was the #1 CB for the best defense in the league/SB champions while also having a great individual season, i want to drink acid.

Prior to last year, Gilmore was a top CB in the league. The Bills' defense sucked last year and couldn't pressure the QB and obviously affected him too.
Think you quoted the wrong post...
My post was regarding your hopes of getting the 11th pick for Butler...
THE PATS WILL NOT GET #11 FOR BUTLER.
Choose to believe what you will though.

I have high hopes for Jonathan Jones. Like Butler, an undrafted FA, but with blazing speed and is scrappy like Butler. Have somewhat high hopes for Cyrus Jones (if he can get his confidence back), and Coleman is coming back. Add in, we can draft a CB with New Orleans' 1st round pick (either 11 or 32), I think we have all that going for us to make up for the losses of Ryan and Butler.

Next man up, lost Revis and Browner after we won the SB, and still made the AFCCG that next year, won the SB the next.

What's really upsetting is people pretending we're giving away Malcolm Butler who only made one heroic SB play instead of Malcolm Butler, a Pro Bowl/All Pro player that was a key part of us having such a good defense this year.

When i read ''Butler's good but he's not a #1 CB'' when he was the #1 CB for the best defense in the league/SB champions while also having a great individual season, i want to drink acid.

That's why i rather they give us multiple picks. Number 32 and our 3rd rounder back. Number 103.

Well, then the Saints aren't getting Butler. The Saints have to give up their first for signing Butler as a RFA. Why would the Pats accept anything less?

Because BB and Sean Payton are good friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back