PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Released

We will make the playoffs because Romo predicted it. Book it..

Okay Asante wasn't very good. The second team all pro and three pro bowls in a row he made with the Eagles were a farce. Bill was right to let him walk as Ellis Hobbs, Delta O'Neal, Lewis Sanders, Terrence Wheatley, Johnathan Wilhite, Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler, Shawn Springs, Kyle Arrington, Devin McCourty, Sterling Moore, and Antwaun Molden more than had things covered at corner over the next few years.
I liked Ellis Hobbs, he was jobbed on that call in the AFC Championship game which handed the Colts an easy SB win. That should have been the Pats playing the clueless Bears.

Rather have a sacrificial year with Mac learning (worst case scenario) than Cam on the downhill suckage.
Cam is who he is without getting by on his previous elite athleticism. No amount of wishful thinking was going to change that.

Maybe they can find another developmental QB to stash on the practice squad.

No mental gymnastics needed. We are left with only 1 of 2 options.

Option 1 BB intentionally avoided playing Mac with the starters believing he may be his week one QB, up to and including the ending of the final preseason game.
Option 2 Something changed sometime after the game to cause a drastic reverse in course than what was planned.

If you believe Mac just plain beat Cam out, then BB is an awful coach and did his young QB and offense no favors. There is no other way to spin it. If option 2, we must ask ourselves what could have changed? It wasn't the covid thing, BB knew about that before season 3. It wasn't Cam's performance in the final game. If BB was thinking about going to Mac up until that point he would have given him a few drives with the starters to see what it looked like. Was it something after the preseason game on the field that swung it? Unlikely. The joint practices and games were the best evidence.

So if it is option 2. It had to be non-football related, and not about the 5 days out, BB already knew about that before the 3rd game.

IMO BB didn't ask Cam what he wanted to do. He told him what he intended to do. And Cam didn't want to the the stop gap. He wanted to be the guy. He believes he has a better chance to catch on else where. It doesn't matter what the world thinks about Cam. It is about what Cam thinks about Cam. And Cam thinks an awful lot of himself. That is clear. If you don't see that then you haven't been paying attention.

Bb settled the debate.

I liked Ellis Hobbs, he was jobbed on that call in the AFC Championship game which handed the Colts an easy SB win. That should have been the Pats playing the clueless Bears.
I liked him as well as Kyle Arrington but neither were half the corner Asante was.

Bill was doing him a solid. Mac out played him and gives Cam a shot to land elsewhere.

Sorry if this has already been posted. I assume this means Cam wasn't released due to his vaccination status.

Last edited:

Sorry if this has already been posted. I assume this means Cam wasn't released due to his vaccination status.

I posted something about this yesterday but do people actually believe Bill just found out about Cam being unvaccinated?

Maybe Cam missing that little time put things in perspective but Bill knew the status of everyone around him. Players, coaches and everyone in between. Its been the biggest question mark surrounding the season for two years. Hes been well aware.

Maybe Cam wasn't nearly as good as some were to have you believe. Talk about hyping up a guy. You would have thought Cam won a SB coming off a TO performance after the last preseason game.

Does anyone know the question Bill was answering?

93% of the league-wide players are vaccinated. Of course there’s still going to be a greater number of infections than the 7% unvaxed population. I’m curious to hear the question he responded to.

My assumption is that the question was if Cam's vaccination status affected his roster status.

From Belichick's perspective, they care about positive tests -- that's basically the end-all-be-all. There are hoops to procedural hoops to jump through, but if every player/coach/employee on the team tests negative, they're in good shape.

He specifically states that they've seen those who've been vaccinated test positive, and that's entirely consistent with reality. It's also fairly likely that those who were vaccinated and tested positive were asymptomatic and much less likely to spread COVID to the rest of the team.

From Belichick's perspective, a vaccine doesn't entirely solve the issue of positive tests and their impact on the football program. That doesn't mean the vaccine isn't effective and that it doesn't provide value in the form of safety.

Does the vaccine solve "every problem"? No. Does it solve a lot and minimize the magnitude of others? Yes, absolutely.

I’ll get in on the Samuel & Hobbs debate:

Samuel: many people forget how horrible he was in 2005 as a first year starter. He took the leap in 2006 having his best year followed by a solid 2007. He planned on leaving in 2006 and never wanted to return to the Pats. His game was timing routes and making plays. However, he got into trouble going man against the elite and can get out muscled due to his small frame. Big hitter, yet a terrible tackler. Even if he wanted to return, I doubt Bill would’ve signed him due to him giving up a TD catch to a guy catching his first pass of the year (Tyree), dropping a game clinching INT twice and leaving his man (Tyree for whatever reason) which resulted in the “helmet catch” (his worst play of the game). Overall, he was an excellent find in the 4th round.

Hobbs: solid player for a few years for where he was taken in the draft, but was very strange in coverage at times. He’d have excellent coverage on his man and you’d think he was about to make a play, only to slip and fall or the ball somehow made it into the WR’s hands. Very frustrating. Provided some nice kick returns. It’s a shame his best play resulted in a bogus penalty (“face guarding”) in the 2006-2007 AFCCG. Was hung out to dry on the Dean Pees special all out blitz and his play took a nose dive after the 2007 season. However, Phillip Rivers believed he was the “worst CB in the NFL”.

Last edited:
You're way behind, this was posted a dozen times in April. Better late than never. Steal of the draft.

Yeah, I get it. Repeated tweet.

"Kwity Paye, Mac Jones, Barmore, or one of the OT’s for the Pats at 15" - Wozzy Apr 29, 2021 at 9:58pm or right before the pick was made.

I was on Mac Jones early, where's my trophy? And still a cool tweet.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back