PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

Would your brain explode if the Patriots acquired Julius Peppers? I think the excitement factor for the fanbase would be off the charts at that point. Our team's offseason has already been so good in so many respects!

we've probably already been in touch with wilfork and failed to agree on a contract. With wilfork thinking haynesworth money and us thinking $6m franchise tag, i think a deal will have to wait whether or not we get peppers.

c-o-n-j-e-c-t-u-r-e.

Re: NFL network : Peppers close to going to NE for #34 !

I have no idea how this could fit under the cap, but trading Cassel/Vrabel for Peppers would be quite a move, and would shut up all the idiots who think that we got hosed on the first trade.

Last edited:

the pats can do whatever they want, except actually make the player step on the field.........wilfork has principle and a backbone, the pats won't force anything on him

if this is the case then, the the acquisition to get peppers will only aid in destroying this team........

I'm in agreement here, if the Pats are getting that vibe from him. It's possible they think he wouldn't do that, but then again, he's also been pretty adamant about getting the right deal for himself.

My guess is, if the year is uncapped, they'll give him a huge bonus and year one salary, while they don't have to keep it below the cap. No need for the franchise in that case.

Peppers wants to play OLB in a 3-4 defense. That means some TE or RB will have to try and block a 6'7" 270 OLB. Or in other words, good Luck. He is the answer to the Pass Rushing woes, someone who has to be accounted for.

Now imagine a front seven of :

OLB Peppers, Thomas
ILB Mayo, Bruschi (Draft pick)
DE Seymour, Warren
NT VINCE!

With Jarvus Green spelling Vince on passing downs.

A 6'7" OLB negates alot of quick screens and quick outs

Would your brain explode if the Patriots acquired Julius Peppers? I think the excitement factor for the fanbase would be off the charts at that point. Our team's offseason has already been so good in so many respects!

I KNOW! I have already creamed my pants once to just think about Adalius and Julius on opposite sides with mayo coming through the middle.

No more 3rd and 16 given up in over time. :violent:

and BTW mad props for your sig VJC. :D

Peppers wants to play OLB in a 3-4 defense. That means some TE or RB will have to try and block a 6'7" 270 OLB. Or in other words, good Luck. He is the answer to the Pass Rushing woes, someone who has to be accounted for.

OLB Peppers, Thomas
DE Seymour, Warren
NT VINCE!

I think Guyton will start over Bruschi at this point.

Since when does Jarvis spell Wilfork?

OLB Peppers, Thomas
DE Seymour, Warren
NT VINCE!

Imagine the schemes and looks BB could come up with that front 7 .. imagine Peytons face looking up to see that lot in front of him

sick...

As Miguel will note, there is basically no way around the 30% rule. In fact, the NFL just forced the Rams to redo a new contract last week because of it.

The Haynesworth deal clearly shows the way. The 30% rule explicitly excludes "amounts treated as a signing bonus" which just so happens to include his option bonus.

The NFL objected to a buyback in Browns contract that would have retroactively cause the contract to violate the rule. That's not the case here.

sooooooooooooo.....has the trade gone down yet?

Call me pessimistic but personally I'm already preparing myself for disappointment on this one. Just seems too good to be true. Like the Sox getting Johan a couple years ago.

OLB Peppers, Thomas
DE Seymour, Warren
NT VINCE!

Don't forget Guyton, or the idea of moving Thomas inside next to Mayo and bringing in TBC on passing downs. If the secondary has improved (we've added pieces, but nothing guaranteed), this really could be the best D we've had since 2004.

I KNOW! I have already creamed my pants once to just think about Adalius and Julius on opposite sides with mayo coming through the middle.

No more 3rd and 16 given up in over time. :violent:

and BTW mad props for your sig VJC. :D

LOL, TY. I'd love to see what Peppers could do in the Pats defense. I'm sure that mad genius BB would find all sorts of ways to exploit the matchup problems that he poses for the offense.

Peppers in not getting $16.25M from the patriots. However, if he signs a new contract, there si no reason to believe that it will be a long-term contract. He is likely to be willing to sign for $8M plus incentives.

why would peppers take such a big pay cut, and how do the pats even afford him at 8+?

also, I see wilfork's name thrown around a lot in here, and I wonder if he's even really an issue.
of course, I'd love to keep him, but they've got the franchise tag available, the unusual situation of a possible uncapped year next year, then the new cba or lockout/strike.
is it a definite that they need to extend him right now, or even that they could afford to right now?

I notice about 30 players have their deals up this year ---- the year before the nfl possibly goes uncapped, and I have to believe that's not coincidence.
I'd think w/a player of vince's importance, you could effectively duck around the cap by signing to a fat year one salray next year, as some others have mentioned, in effect giving him a signing bonus that wouldn't be amortized.

Don't forget Guyton, or the idea of moving Thomas inside next to Mayo and bringing in TBC on passing downs. If the secondary has improved (we've added pieces, but nothing guaranteed), this really could be the best D we've had since 2004.

With the improvement of Meriweather, Sanders, Wheatley, and Wilhite, I'd say it is guaranteed since Deltha O'Neal will not be on the field.

I think Guyton will start over Bruschi at this point.

Since when does Jarvis spell Wilfork?

He wouldn't spell Wilfork necessarily, but on passing downs you move Seymour inside to play a more traditional DT role, and you have Green fill in at DE as a rusher. That's how I would see it anyway, but there's a whole lot of combinations they could do with this... even putting Peppers back on the line in those situations.

This is where everything gets complicated....

1. Assuming the last need for the Pats is OLB and they acquired Pepper's for the 34th pick, than why do they need their 23rd pick?

1a. So why not trade the 23rd pick to a team like Dallas, who don't have a first round pick and may be looking at a big time receiver. Grabbing their second round pick would allow the Pats to "fortify" the roster moreso than looking for starters now.

1b. Getting Peppers makes Barwin unnecessary, right? Unless he is the new tight end prospect. So what would the 23rd pick be used for? A project at left tackle like Beatty? A safety? A corner?

2. Taylor being a free agent is an option and might be cheaper. Allows the Pats to trade some picks and beats having to deal with the Panthers organization and Pepper's agent. Just gotta deal with Taylor's agent and it is a done deal. Doesn't seem like there is much of a market for him anyways.

With the improvement of Meriweather, Sanders, Wheatley, and Wilhite, I'd say it is guaranteed since Deltha O'Neal will not be on the field.

Don't forget Hobbs! I love Ellis Hobbs. ANd with the addition of Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs... We will have to see if it is going to be an improvement.

On Paper it is, but the rams are also good on paper.

If this were to happen, I'd think Jarvis Green would be sleeping less comfortably and looking at alternate housing markets just in case.

Meriweather I'm in agreement. Sanders, IMO, isn't going to get THAT much better. Maybe some, but not enough to see. Hope I'm wrong.

With Wheatley and Wilhite, you've got to temper expectations. The Sophomore slump isn't a superstition to me, it's a real thing. Teams now have film to watch on you, and can gameplan around you if need be. Good players adjust, average players do not. I have no doubt those two players will improve, but the rest of the league will improve in how they play them as well. It's just as likely we see a step backwards with them as we see a step forward.

Bodden and Springs should help though, assuming they stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe