PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Changes to the kicking rule.

This is not new in sports. In baseball we have the fly out with a runner tagging from 3rd base. The Refs (guessing on each sideline) just need to stand at the 45/50.
You're right. This is more or less the same issue. Nevertheless, it is a physiological impossibility to focus one's attention on two things at the same time. The cries of missed/wrong calls will come.

You're right. This is more or less the same issue. Nevertheless, it is a physiological impossibility to focus one's attention on two things at the same time. The cries of missed/wrong calls will come.
I guess we'll see how lenient they all are à la the "Left Tackle starting early with no false start" phenomenon. The kicking team will definitely push the envelope as much as they can. Guessing it'll have to be blatant, whatever that means [, or depending on where the money is for gambling].

I’m interested. Kickoff is a useless play 90% of the time. Teams are still going to send it sailing through the end zone most of the time though.
I don't know. What with them coming out to the 35 now, I know I wouldn't want to play it that way.

Beside the tag-up on a fly ball, the first base umpire in baseball focuses on the catch and the runner's foot. Both calls are fairly easy to pull off if the ref moves his ass into the correct position.

Is the best kick one that lands in either corner at the 5 but doesn't go into the EZ? Is that even possible?

Beside the tag-up on a fly ball, the first base umpire in baseball focuses on the catch and the runner's foot. Both calls are fairly easy to pull off if the ref moves his ass into the correct position.
True, but that's easier since both points of attention are in close proximity.

Interesting. Not sure if this changes the touchback rate but anything that gives us a chance to see less touchbacks and a more exciting play again is worth a try.

Bill probably already knows how to beat it......oh wait...damn.

Ha, exactly! After Mayo gets fired and Bob Kraft is put out to pasture, I would like to see BB hired back and get those 15 wins. I definitely don't want to see Mayo get fired, but unless there is a draft day miracle, the Patriots are doomed next season and Mayo will be the fall guy. Poor Mayo has been saddled with a pathetic offense; right now it is worse than last year.

Last edited:
One of the most horrifying things I saw in the old days was when BB put Lawrence Taylor on kickoff coverage. After the play, they would have to cart guys off the field. BB still talks about what a terror LT was on kickoffs

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back