PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones) Has Passed Away

Rod Gilbert
Jimmy Hayes
Don Everly
Sonny Chiba
Floyd Reese
etc...
Oh no, I was a huge Sonny Chiba fan in the 1970s. Japan’s version of Bruce Lee. Jimmy Hayes was such a shame, so young. All of them passing is a shame, but a lot of the others lived long lives, Hayes dying is extremely sad at such a young age.

There were plenty of flashier, heavier, more technical and more bombastic drummers out there. But Watts may have been the best meat and potatoes, under the radar, glue of the music drummers of them all. His work was as instrumental to the swinging, strutting sexiness of the Stones music as was Jagger's preening and Richard's riffing. Take Watts out of the equation, and peak Stones is a good country rock act. With him, they were the greatest blues rock band of all.

RIP Charlie

There were plenty of flashier, heavier, more technical and more bombastic drummers out there. But Watts may have been the best meat and potatoes, under the radar, glue of the music drummers of them all. His work was as instrumental to the swinging, strutting sexiness of the Stones music as was Jagger's preening and Richard's riffing. Take Watts out of the equation, and peak Stones is a good country rock act. With him, they were the greatest blues rock band of all.

Most importantly, he was the adult in the room for 60 years. The Stones knew they were "Charlie's band" - they answered to him.

He was considered the "clean and civilized one" because he had comparatively brief bouts with Typical Rock and Roll Star problems, he wore a suit a lot, and he really wanted to be a jazz drummer instead.

I was going to create a thread for Jimmy Hayes. From Dot, went to BC & played on the B's. That's a dream come true for a lot around here. Absolute shame too. Sounds like a freak accident. Poor kids. Great family hope the dad is doing well. He's been through it himself the past few years. Man barely 30 years old. Life is too short for the dumb ****.

Absolutely love the Stones. When I was in grade 9 in the late 80’s I discovered my older brothers Hot Rocks album which began my love for the band. Watts was so underrated. As mentioned in this thread he gave the Stones their swing and swagger. That groove on Jumpin Jack Flash or Brown Sugar that makes you want to get up and move. Listen to the swagger on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking. Most other drummers would come in pounding with tons of fills, but not Charlie. Right in the pocket, gives it that Stones swagger that sets them apart.

Last edited:
Rod Gilbert
Jimmy Hayes
Don Everly
Sonny Chiba
Floyd Reese
etc...

Didn't know that Rod Gilbert & Don Everly passed away also...

The only films in which I saw Sonny Chiba were the Kill Bills where he portrayed sword maker Hattori Hanzo...

RIP Charlie! Seen them pre Covid at Gillette. Great show

Also saw them at Gillette, during their Steel Wheels tour with Living Colour... On the floor, one section back just off of center... Good times, good times...

Also saw them at Gillette, during their Steel Wheels tour with Living Colour... On the floor, one section back just off of center... Good times, good times...
Jagger just had that heart procedure and ran around the stage for two hours. I was tired walking downstairs to get two beers

Jagger just had that heart procedure and ran around the stage for two hours. I was tired walking downstairs to get two beers

It's not the walking downstairs empty-handed that gets me tired; it's the walking back upstairs double-fisted...

It's not the walking downstairs empty-handed that gets me tired; it's the walking back upstairs double-fisted...
Agree. What concerns me the most is having a big smile on my face as I am walking back upstairs double fisted knowing they just bent me over a barrel and tapped into my 401k

A true giant among drummers in R&R history. A very stylish and humble man and a life very well lived. RIP Charlie.

I was going to create a thread for Jimmy Hayes. From Dot, went to BC & played on the B's. That's a dream come true for a lot around here. Absolute shame too. Sounds like a freak accident. Poor kids. Great family hope the dad is doing well. He's been through it himself the past few years. Man barely 30 years old. Life is too short for the dumb ****.

Not sure that is correct. The more likely cause of death is even more sad, based upon what I’ve heard (I know someone who is very close to the family), although that was shortly after he was found. Either way it is an awful, awful situation. The only saving grace is that his wife and kids will have a very large support system on which to lean.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back