PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Christian Gonzalez

I figured it'd be a DB or OL in 1st round...
While I was dying for us to get Zay in my heart, I know with my head that we'd only turn him into a bust anyway.
So, getting a sure-bet starting CB is more value (considering our cemented WR curse)

Sure, and it is. However, if you were asked to describe the players whom won multiple championships here would you describe them first by their athletic attributes or their demeanor and how they played? Would you ascribe the great players like Harrison, Bruschi, Edelman, Brady, the men who defined the teams who won titles by their physical prowess or what incredible, ferocious competitors they were? That is all that I am saying.
Good point and I agree. However none of the examples you mentioned play CB.

Well, I am exposing myself a bit here but I coach bjj and mma. I still compete in both sports. I know it is a very soft value to attribute but demeanor and attitude is everything in what makes a competitor and a winner. I can coach anyone in technique. But the guys who can go fight and win just have it genetically.

Bedard just posted a very long and well sourced thread citing multiple league sources that echo my exact sentiment re: CG.

Gilmore was the opposite of a murderer and was incredible. Murderer corners draw flags. Look at Browner.

Give me a Gilmore every day; someone who is obsessive about improving, learning the game, and can consistently be in good coverage. CB is HARD to play now. I want someone who can completely blink a bad snap out of their head and stay competitive, snap after snap, and not get wrapped up. Talib is another example of the opposite.

Gilmore was the opposite of a murderer and was incredible. Murderer corners draw flags. Look at Browner.

Give me a Gilmore every day; someone who is obsessive about improving, learning the game, and can consistently be in good coverage. CB is HARD to play now. I want someone who can completely blink a bad snap out of their head and stay competitive, snap after snap, and not get wrapped up. Talib is another example of the opposite.
I agree, but just that we're solid on this you do know that the majority of what Gilmore did was ride receivers out of bounds thus eliminating them from the play, right? And it is quite hard to do that to a 200 pound track star against his will without a smidge of assertiveness.

Good point and I agree. However none of the examples you mentioned play CB.
I think it would be pretty easy to recall the best performance in defensive history which was led by Ty Law in the 2004 divisional playoff against Indy. They won that game with pure attitude and that attitude was dictated by their defensive backs. Even Asante Samuel was knocking heads off in that game. You raised a very good point and thank you for doing so.

Are we really complaining about a potential mirror type CB who may not be the greatest tackler?

This is like some posters *****ing and moaning that the highest sack tandem in the NFL (Judon and Uche) aren't the greatest run defenders. You need to pick your battles and just be grateful the team has players that is good at that one thing.

Are we really complaining about a potential mirror type CB who may not be the greatest tackler?

This is like some posters *****ing and moaning that the highest sack tandem in the NFL (Judon and Uche) aren't the greatest run defenders. You need to pick your battles and just be grateful the team has players that is good at that one thing.
You aren't getting the argument. Tackling and press are simply indications of gameness. Gamess cannot be taught. It is inherent. The patriots won six titles by having players that were predicated upon their gameness. I like Gonzales. A lot. But if the identity of the new england patriots is to remain consistent they will need Gonzales to be a lot tougher.

You aren't getting the argument. Tackling and press are simply indications of gameness. Gamess cannot be taught. It is inherent. The patriots won six titles by having players that were predicated upon their gameness. I like Gonzales. A lot. But if the identity of the new england patriots is to remain consistent they will need Gonzales to be a lot tougher.
But the fact that press man was cited as one of his strengths means nothing.

But the fact that press man was cited as one of his strengths means nothing.
No it does, it’s just a different opinion from mine. Whatever, this is stupid. I’m done arguing. I hope CG becomes the best corner in history of the league. Let’s go Pats tonight and may they take awesome players.

One of the analysts on NFL network spoke of physicality and his willingness to help on run support. I'm not sweating the no tackling reports at this time.
Very skinny build for a quarterback. Lacks physical stature and strength and has the risk of getting pushed down easily. Not mobile enough to avoid a rush. Does not have a strong arm to drive the ball downfield. A system-type player who can get exposed when required to play ad-lib

That was Tom Brady’s Draft profile

Gonzo has so much upside. Once he gets NFL coaching and a legit Training program I am not concerned about the negatives

I don't know much about the guy, but he seems athletic and will hopefully keep Myles Bryant off the field. That alone is a win.

Very skinny build for a quarterback. Lacks physical stature and strength and has the risk of getting pushed down easily. Not mobile enough to avoid a rush. Does not have a strong arm to drive the ball downfield. A system-type player who can get exposed when required to play ad-lib

That was Tom Brady’s Draft profile

Gonzo has so much upside. Once he gets NFL coaching and a legit Training program I am not concerned about the negatives
Agreed. Obviously it's way to soon to tell, but this at least feels like we are back to having at least the possibility of a true shut down guy. The upside is there. Now before everyone jumps on me, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to know, but it's nice that this kid is highly thought of and has bigtime potential.

We got a CB with a sky high ceiling, but there is a concern he may or may not be a tackling machine?

I love when a good negative storm riles up the pompoms here. But this is really a stretch.

Agreed. Obviously it's way to soon to tell, but this at least feels like we are back to having at least the possibility of a true shut down guy. The upside is there. Now before everyone jumps on me, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to know, but it's nice that this kid is highly thought of and has bigtime potential.
That was a lot of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass’s
Now I’m getting worried

That was a lot of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass’s
Now I’m getting worried
Well you know how everyone likes to jump on you when you say something is good. So I just couch it a little. I think the kid could be elite, we will see. Very happy he slid to them.

I love when a good negative storm riles up the pompoms here.

Why?

I don't know if you listen to Boston sports talk radio, but both 98.5 and WEEI crapped all over the Gonzalez pick this afternoon so you would have loved that. Between local sports media and the way this place is becoming, feeling positive or hopeful is something to be ashamed of.

Why?

I don't know if you listen to Boston sports talk radio, but both 98.5 and WEEI crapped all over the Gonzalez pick this afternoon so you would have loved that. Between local sports media and the way this place is becoming, feeling positive or hopeful is something to be ashamed of.
I don't listen to Boston sports radio, or any sports radio. Or any radio at all.

If you had read the second part of my post, you would have seen that I am calling ******** on the nitpicking of whether Gonzalez is a good enough tackler. In other words, I loved the pick. Listening to a bunch of Massholes with no lives calling a radio show complaining about the pick sounds horribly boring. "Ummm, ahhhh, I don't like the pick, Felgah. He's a, errr, ahhhhh, backup not a stahtah. Shouldah gut a wide receivah. Ahhhhh, ummm."

I do enjoy chaos and discomfort though. When the pom-poms and the realists (or is it the real fans and the negative Nancies?) get agitated, I get entertained. And I probably lean toward being a pom-pom. Belichick is my all time favorite person in all of sports. But when people attack him, I just find it fun.

I think it would be pretty easy to recall the best performance in defensive history which was led by Ty Law in the 2004 divisional playoff against Indy. They won that game with pure attitude and that attitude was dictated by their defensive backs. Even Asante Samuel was knocking heads off in that game.

This was enabled considerably by the rules of that era, which STILL should be the rules. Instead, we have a game out of balance where that special kind of dynamic has been all but legislated away.

I think it's easy to forget how green this kid is; he's only 20 years old and looks/acts it. So we likely should be prepared for Gonzalez having significant growing pains as a pro, including honing that tenacity you find wanting. He's going to have a lot thrown at him (literally and figuratively) from all sides. How quickly he develops confidence to match his athleticism will determine a lot.

Last edited:

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back