PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Loss all on McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninkovich may have been the worst player on the field last night, and the experiment of him playing LDE better end soon.
You're right but there's been nothing to suggest that the coaching staff is displeased with Ninkovich's performance. Actually based on the crapload of snaps he plays every game it seems like they're very happy with impact he's having on games.
Kyle Love continues to disappoint as well.
I disagree. Can't really disappoint when there was no real reason to expect a lot from this player in the first place.

McCourty made a bonehead play toward the end of the game gifting the Ravens favorable field position. Despite that, Arrington was the mule abused by the Ravens. The loss should be pointed more at him than McCourty.

Then again, you could always blame Brady and the OL for that pathetic effort on the Ravens sack to make it 3rd and a mile. EVERYONE knew that play was coming, except the Patriots it seems.

Last edited:
It is true that the Pats did not get much of a pass rush on Flacco. But frankly I have discounted that factor to some extent in this game mainly because it did not appear to me that Flacco had to go through his progressions to often to complete passes, meaning that his primary receiver was open for the most part. That is probably in part why the Ravens had so many big yardage pass plays on us last night. I think the Ravens had something like 5 pass plays over 20 yards last night. That sounds like WR territory for the most part.

If Flacco gets to throw to his primary how fast do you think the D-line has to get to him to make a sake? Which group from the defense do you think is allowing the open receivers with that many long yardage pass plays?

McCourty made a bonehead play toward the end of the game gifting the Ravens favorable field position. Despite that, Arrington was the mule abused by the Ravens. The loss should be pointed more at him than McCourty.

Then again, you could always blame Brady and the OL for that pathetic effort on the Ravens sack to make it 3rd and a mile. EVERYONE knew that play was coming, except the Patriots it seems.

They were in FG range before the PI

My patience with McCourty has worn thin. He is constantly burnt and never seems to make the big play...The interception he dropped last night was killer...

If the interception he "dropped" was a killer, what did you think about Arrington tripping over his feet when Flacco lobbed up that easy one for him? McCourty's drop came with several minutes left, and the Ravens would eventually score a TD a few plays later. Arrington's fall was with under a minute left and would have sealed the game, and the big PI against McCourty came on the very next play.

McCourty made his share of plays last night with 4 passes defensed. He made his share of mistakes too. To blame it all on one player is stupid, and if that's the way you see it, maybe you should apply to be a replacement ref.

Wow, he screwed up and dropped two easy INTs, but that's a harsh statement. I blame Josh McDaniels just as much for this loss.

Don't get me wrong, I think McCourty sucks and will end up another BB cornerback bust. How can we fail so often at drafting that position? Who is scouting them?

Last edited:
How in gods name have people forgot that Devin's 2nd dropped int came on the same drive that we later stopped the Ravens on 4th and 1, meaning that the dropped int didn't hurt us at all and in fact allowed for more time to go off the clock. Are you people stupid? I mean really, what is wrong with you?

How did he go after him hard on the last drive?

He threw 2x times to Jones with McCourty in coverage on the last drive.

1st time was a completion of 24 yds
2nd time was the PI call for 27 yds.

51 yds on throws where McCourty was the main guy in coverage. Thats pretty much going after him hard on the last drive.

He threw 2x times to Jones with McCourty in coverage on the last drive.

1st time was a completion of 24 yds
2nd time was the PI call for 27 yds.

51 yds on throws where McCourty was the main guy in coverage. Thats pretty much going after him hard on the last drive.

No its making 2 throws. He threw 2 in a row at Wilson. Does that mean he was going hard at Wilson?

No its making 2 throws. He threw 2 in a row at Wilson. Does that mean he was going hard at Wilson?

He went at him 2x with throws down the sideline over 20 yards each. How is that NOT going hard at him? It was 51 total yards and enough to give them a chip shot field goal. I could understand your position if it was 2 throws for 12 yards, but it was 51 yards given up where McCourty was the main guy in coverage. If Flacco thought McCourty was a tough corner to throw against he wouldn't be lofting them down the sidelines at him, he would have been looking at other options.

He went at him 2x with throws down the sideline over 20 yards each. How is that NOT going hard at him? It was 51 total yards and enough to give them a chip shot field goal. I could understand your position if it was 2 throws for 12 yards, but it was 51 yards given up where McCourty was the main guy in coverage. If Flacco thought McCourty was a tough corner to throw against he wouldn't be lofting them down the sidelines at him, he would have been looking at other options.

There isn't much point in discussing this as you don't seem to understand what going after a corner means, nor do you have any idea how a QB makes the decision where to go with the ball.

There isn't much point in discussing this as you don't seem to understand what going after a corner means, nor do you have any idea how a QB makes the decision where to go with the ball.

Very nice. Guys like Ty Law (who knows a lot more about playing corner then you or me) are talking about how poor he was yet you retort with a "you don't understand football" comment when it's been made pretty clear that he was targeted 2x for long passes on the last drive.

By the way, I've both played and coached football, but I won't resort to telling anyone i've never met that I know more then them about the game.

The PI was horrible. I guess I don't really understand the logic that says because he was ok for much of the game, we're going to declare him not crappy for making the play that lost the game.

It was terrible defense and it was terrible judgment. Don't commit a penalty there. Make the guy make a play. You have to understand the situation. A penalty there equals a virtually certain loss. Even a catch and touchdown gives your offense a chance to get back on the field. Maybe he drops it and they have to kick a 50 yarder with plenty of time left on the clock. Horrible horrible play, and I really don't care how many good plays he made before it.

Everyone will make bad plays during a game, I suppose. But when the game is on the line, to compound bad defense with a preventable mental error is inexcusable. You have to understand score and situation. Committing and obvious penalty that will likely lose the game and hoping it won't get called is not the percentage play.

Re: Devin McCourty = Suck

It's astonishing how bad he sucks, he's been sucking for the entire game, costing us plays throughout, I'm beginning to hate him.

That is grossly unfair and uncalled for. He is not why the Patriots lost the game...

As I watched the game last night I saw a secondary that looked eerily similar to the one we saw last year. I believe this team is going to reel off a nice winning streak starting with Buffalo but we won't win the superbowl unless the secondary can get it together.

Very nice. Guys like Ty Law (who knows a lot more about playing corner then you or me) are talking about how poor he was yet you retort with a "you don't understand football" comment when it's been made pretty clear that he was targeted 2x for long passes on the last drive.

By the way, I've both played and coached football, but I won't resort to telling anyone i've never met that I know more then them about the game.

Scott Zolak knows as much about football as Ty Law AND he was actually at the game with a bird's eye view of the entire field unlike Law who was in the Comcast studios. Zolak says overall, McCourty played well in the game with several mistakes. I would take Zolak's opinion over Law's just because Zolak could see the entire field and not just what NBC broadcasted.

Re: Devin McCourty = Suck

That is grossly unfair and uncalled for. He is not why the Patriots lost the game...

Ummm, when did I say he was the sole reason for the loss? There was not a sole reason, there were many reasons, he was just a big part of it. If we had even an average corner playing last night we win that game, McCourty is below average at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe