PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Thomas traded, per Schefter for 2011 7th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming out of college, this is what NFLDraftScout had to say about Matthews:

NFLDrafscout.Com said:
Overview:
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Veteran who shared the tight end duties with fellow senior George Cooper his last two years . . . Used primarily as a blocker . . . Can also play fullback . . . Has nine career receptions for an 11.2-yard average.[/FONT]

He wasn't drafted nor was he a combine invite. Not used much in the Passing game at GT. However, he's got a few passes with the Giants. He's primarily a blocker. A devastating one.

He's got good speed at 4.71 and weighing in at 270 lbs, he might be the blocker we hoped we had with Kyle Brady..

We gave up a 5th rounder for Alex Smith who has showed nothing in preseason and gave up Thomas for a 7th rounder? I don't understand.

We gave up a 5th rounder for Alex Smith who has showed nothing in preseason and gave up Thomas for a 7th rounder? I don't understand.

Alex Smith has had some production in the NFL. David Thomas' 3 year career has produced a little less than Alex Smith produced in 2008 alone.

For 3 years in a row Thomas - despite his injures and lack of production - somehow managed to avoid the negative comments that Chad Jackson and Laurence Maroney received. Curious.

I think BB sees Thomas for Matthews as an "even exchange."

As for Smith, I have no clue what he was thinking.

He was thinking "Thomas has been a disappointment, so I need to bring in more competition at the tight end position".

TE was one of the few major needs coming into the offseason. Spending a 5th isn't that much for somebody you felt would improve you in a position of need. It hasn't seemed to work out like BB thought, hey it happens(3rd rounder for Duane Starks, etc)

Heres a clue He cant catch or block and hes turn over and injury prone, and had the nerve to hold out his rookie year, besides that hes super

Besides that I think he was in the Top 3 in snaps in the Pats 2008 offense. Maybe even Top 1 --- does anyone remember? Moss was up there too.

He was thinking "Thomas has been a disappointment, so I need to bring in more competition at the tight end position".

I'm sorry to say it, but if BB was disappointed, he bears as much of the blame as Thomas.

Alex Smith has had some production in the NFL. David Thomas' 3 year career has produced a little less than Alex Smith produced in 2008 alone.

For 3 years in a row Thomas - despite his injures and lack of production - somehow managed to avoid the negative comments that Chad Jackson and Laurence Maroney received. Curious.

WHy mention Chad and Laurence? I've read some people here complain about THomas so I don't see why bring up the other players. Unless you are trying to insinuate something else:rolleyes:

I'm curious why they got rid of two known commodities (Thomas and Smith) and picked up an unknown commodity in Matthews.

Also, how in the hell is Eric Alexander still on the team? I know he contributes in Special Teams, but he's useless anywhere else. Couldn't Lennon also play special teams? He showed up a little better as a backup ILB.

Thomas saw plenty of time on the field. Smith showed that he had nothing during pre-season.

Richard was a 7th rounder.. WOW.. BB is such an idiot for cutting him :rolleyes:

O'Connell. who knows why he was let go. Other than he didn't play well this year and he didn't seem to be taking the 3rd game very seriously.

relax. i like bb as much as anyone else and always have no issues with it. at the same time nothing wrong in asking questions...chad jackson,bethel johnson lot of people he has drafted higher and letgo. the fact that he creats a zillion draft picks allows him to do this which appreciate but still not much wrong in asking questions.

bb wants a replacement for graham..someone who can block well hence mathews i think.

WHy mention Chad and Laurence? I've read some people here complain about THomas so I don't see why bring up the other players. Unless you are trying to insinuate something else:rolleyes:

I'm curious why they got rid of two known commodities (Thomas and Smith) and picked up an unknown commodity in Matthews.

Also, how in the hell is Eric Alexander still on the team? I know he contributes in Special Teams, but he's useless anywhere else. Couldn't Lennon also play special teams? He showed up a little better as a backup ILB.

Matthews is a known commodity. Maybe not in our offense, but he's been a productive blocking TE on a great running offense.

Thomas is a known ineffective commodity, and Smith clearly was struggling to pick up the Pats system. No point hanging on to them if they've lost BB's (or Brady's) confidence.

(I was more than insinuating something - not about you! but you're right, I shouldn't have brought it up).

Last edited:

Because Matthews does what they need (block) better than Smith and Thomas. He's not an unknown commodity: he's a proven NFL player.

And I dunno what preseason you were watching, but Alexander clearly outplayed Lenon. Plenty of people here have had him beating out Lenon for weeks.

(I was more than insinuating something - not about you! but you're right, I shouldn't have brought it up).

I think it's a valid point, although that's a direction that we probably don't want this thread to take :p

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

What exactly was Thomas supposed to do in 2006, when the Patriots still had two first-rounders ahead of him at a position where they often have only one on the field at any given time?

And in 2007 how is it Thomas' fault that BB decided to rush him back to the field—activating him off PUP before the season started, and holding a spot on the 53 for a guy who clearly wasn't going to be ready to start Week 1—only for him to get re-injured?

Last edited:
What exactly was Thomas supposed to do in 2006, when the Patriots still had two first-rounders ahead of him at a position where they often have only one on the field at any given time?

And in 2007 how is it Thomas' fault that BB decided to rush him back to the field—activating him off PUP before the season started, and holding a spot on the 53 for a guy who clearly wasn't going to be ready to start Week 1—only for him to get re-injured?

So it's Belichick's fault that an extra season behind other players didn't help Thomas become a better player, and you have inside information telling you that it was Belichick's diagnosis and prognosis of Thomas' foot injury that had Thomas out on the field before you say he should have been?

Why is it that Bill has been over-paying for JAG vets, yet has been under-selling his own players?

David Thomas for a 2011 7th-rounder is an absolute steal for NO;
Alex Smith for a 2010 5th-rounder was an absolute steal for Tampa, and I thought so at the time the trade was made.
We already had Baker, Watson, Thomas & DeVree; why in the world did Bill trade for another one? If he were looking for TC depth, then he should've signed a UFA or UDFA. What he actually should've done is trade #94 during last year's draft to Dallas for TE Anthony Fasano & ILB Akin Ayodele. That trade would've killed 2 birds with one stone, at the same time it would've rid us for good of the excreble Effin Alexander.

This is an inexcusable F-Up by the FO. Someone in the Pro Personnel dept. needs to be fired - now, before yet another botched talent evaluation occurs.

And if I were another GM, I would have Bill on ReDial so I can pawn-off my junk on him for middle-round draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back