PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Day 10 Training Camp Thread - Sunday August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am only making 2 assumptions with this post.

Assumption 1. We don't have an absolutely amazing QB who is ready to dominate and be the difference maker that bends the league to their will this year.

Assumption 2. Our Defense isn't lights out dominant that will crush every good offense in it's wake, and score some points while doing it.

Those are the only assumptions I'm making. I think they are fair.
We won 7 games last year with horrible qb play and very little defensive talent. The defense at the very least, should be significantly better this year.

We won 7 games last year with horrible qb play and very little defensive talent. The defense at the very least, should be significantly better this year.
People keep posting this and I don't understand why. The defense was 7th in points and that was with an offense that was basically 30 or below in every single major passing category and 27th in points. In other words, the defense was on the field a ton and was still top 10 in points. We won the SB in 2018 with a defense that ranked 7th in points. The issues last year were almost ALL because of the offense/QB. While I do think the defense should be better, it remains to be seen how much Hightower and Van Noy have in the tank and if Bill screws around with Gilmore because without Gilmore we are worse than last year.

What amuses me is that all the fans on all the 32 team sites are having exactly the same argument. We have no idea who's right until actual football begins.

I wonder who would win a Brady vs Belichick 40?

People keep posting this and I don't understand why. The defense was 7th in points and that was with an offense that was basically 30 or below in every single major passing category and 27th in points. In other words, the defense was on the field a ton and was still top 10 in points. We won the SB in 2018 with a defense that ranked 7th in points. The issues last year were almost ALL because of the offense/QB. While I do think the defense should be better, it remains to be seen how much Hightower and Van Noy have in the tank and if Bill screws around with Gilmore because without Gilmore we are worse than last year.
The fact that we were 7th in points allowed is a testament to what a great job BB did last year with the lack of talent. We are adding Anderson, Godchaux, Judon, High, Van Noy, 2nd year for Uche, Jennings and Dugger, everyone back in the secondary and adding Mills, if you don't think this defense will be better, I don't know what to tell you.

The fact that we were 7th in points allowed is a testament to what a great job BB did last year with the lack of talent. We are adding Anderson, Godchaux, Judon, High, Van Noy, 2nd year for Uche, Jennings and Dugger, everyone back in the secondary and adding Mills, if you don't think this defense will be better, I don't know what to tell you.
I am not arguing that I think they can better. I am arguing that they were fine last year despite the opt outs. The issue is the offense. That has to be better, much better for us to contend. We also need Gilmore.

It's silly to hyper focus on practice stats on the QBs.

1. Going against the elite starting secondary is way different than throwing and beating Ja'Juan Williams over and over.

2. Most practice throws haven't been live speed with pads, and throwing against no defense doesn't even matter, it's more for learning and acclimation of not only QBs but a lot of new receivers.

3. I think Mac is the most promising rookie QB in his class but in general it's real bad news if the Pats are starting their rookie QB, if so then raise the white flag and trade all our vets before week7 because starting Mac means this team won't contend this year.

Yeah...no, that's the worst hot take I've heard since I started watching football 20 years ago.

The defense should be better. But the last peice of the puzzle for this D is the pass rush talent. You can manufacture it to a degree, but getting legit guys is imperative. Hopefully Barmore continues to show and Judon is a great add, but I think we need invest more in that area. I know it isn't particularly cost effective. Which is why it needs to be done in the draft. Perkins is a guy I haven't heard a ton of news on. Hopefully we hear more today and very good things. Could always use more though.

The Pats are in a position where (assuming Cam is gone next year) they have a starter on their rookie contract. Hopefully they can take full advantage of that cap space.

The defense should be better. But the last peice of the puzzle for this D is the pass rush talent. You can manufacture it to a degree, but getting legit guys is imperative. Hopefully Barmore continues to show and Judon is a great add, but I think we need invest more in that area. I know it isn't particularly cost effective. Which is why it needs to be done in the draft. Perkins is a guy I haven't heard a ton of news on. Hopefully we hear more today and very good things. Could always use more though.

The Pats are in a position where (assuming Cam is gone next year) they have a starter on their rookie contract. Hopefully they can take full advantage of that cap space.
I agree. Paying for a legit #1 WR would not hurt either.

It became pretty obvious that teams could just run over the Pats defense last year. The d-line was weak, and that, on paper at least, has been majorly upgraded. they were middle of the pack in giving up yards-per-game, and near the bottom in rushing-yards per game (131 - ouch). Combine that with an anemic offense and they were 23rd in the league in Time of Possession, even though they were a running offense (ouch).

Also, the Pats couldn't set an edge when they needed to. Hello, Judon and Van Noy. Last year's defense wasn't terrible, no, but this' year's should be very good at all three levels. The additions of Godchaux, Anderson, Judon, Van Noy and Hightower, plus the experience gained for guys like Uche and Dugger and Wino SHOULD make this defense much better than last year's edition. The only valuable guy they lost was Butler, and that should be way more than offset.

With the additions of Judon, Barmore, Van Noy, High, Uche and Wino, our pass rush should be much improved. Only time will tell, but on paper, this group is much improved from last year.

It became pretty obvious that teams could just run over the Pats defense last year. The d-line was weak, and that, on paper at least, has been majorly upgraded. they were middle of the pack in giving up yards-per-game, and near the bottom in rushing-yards per game (131 - ouch). Combine that with an anemic offense and they were 23rd in the league in Time of Possession, even though they were a running offense (ouch).

Also, the Pats couldn't set an edge when they needed to. Hello, Judon and Van Noy. Last year's defense wasn't terrible, no, but this' year's should be very good at all three levels. The additions of Godchaux, Anderson, Judon, Van Noy and Hightower, plus the experience gained for guys like Uche and Dugger and Wino SHOULD make this defense much better than last year's edition. The only valuable guy they lost was Butler, and that should be way more than offset.
I agree in theory. We will see how Van Noy performs (he was lousy in Miami) and Hightower after a year off. I am pretty psyched to see where Dugger and Uche progress to. I still think so much hinges on Gilmore being back. The secondary was pretty awful last year when he was not in there. Jackson is just not a #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST