PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins will torch Patriots secondary on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defense is SO bad! We've been blown out 3 times during the regular season in the last 3 years! We SUCK!

Dolphins QB Matt Moore is the best passer the Patriots defense has seen in a while. He completes 61% of his passes and does not turn the ball over (only six interceptions in 2011). He's a competent pocket passer with good receivers in Bess, Marshall and Fasano. Fasano and Marshall missed practice this week.

After watching Tim Tebow pitch out of the stretch and his 48% completion rate (11-22 against the Pats), Matt Moore will look like Dan Marino on Saturday. Reggie Bush is going to keep the linebackers in their run protect gaps even on passing downs so the Patriots secondary will be on their own trying to keep Moore under control. Yikes.

The Dolphins have won 5 of their last 7 and scored 30 or more in three of those games. Their defense has held three teams under 10 (KC, Buffalo and Washington) - all wins. This has trap game written all over it.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

How many yards did Brady have the last time he faced the Dolphins?

Who cares how many yards Moore throws for? I'm sure Fasano will have a good game as he is an underrated guy who always seems to do well against the Pats.

As long as the Pats win I don't care what happens. To quote the Tuna, "You are what you record says you are."

You can have as many of these as you want:

100_4664.jpg

They don't translate to this:

referee-touchdown.jpg

Dolphins QB Matt Moore is the best passer the Patriots defense has seen in a while. He completes 61% of his passes and does not turn the ball over (only six interceptions in 2011). He's a competent pocket passer with good receivers in Bess, Marshall and Fasano. Fasano and Marshall missed practice this week.

After watching Tim Tebow pitch out of the stretch and his 48% completion rate (11-22 against the Pats), Matt Moore will look like Dan Marino on Saturday. Reggie Bush is going to keep the linebackers in their run protect gaps even on passing downs so the Patriots secondary will be on their own trying to keep Moore under control. Yikes.

The Dolphins have won 5 of their last 7 and scored 30 or more in three of those games. Their defense has held three teams under 10 (KC, Buffalo and Washington) - all wins. This has trap game written all over it.

I agree but I don't think the pats are going to take them lightly.. if they get beat then they don't deserve the #1 seed. They have to earn it and hopefully they take care of business.. It does have that feel of a trap but seeing as its home there really is no excuse. If the Patriots truly are the best in the AFC they will slaughter the dolphins on Saturday.

The Dolphins have nothing to lose. Their offense will move the ball against our defense (who hasn't?) but our offense will also move the ball. Unfortunately, with the Dolphins having nothing to lose, they will be out to inflict serious amounts of punishment. Hopefully we don't see anymore big time injuries in this one.

Tell me something I don't know like who CAN'T torch the secondary. The good thing is they won't win an air battle against Air Brady.

Last edited:
Patriots would never come out flat in this situation. That's like saying they would come out flat in back to back home playoff games..:rolleyes:
They didn't come out "flat" in those games, they simply 1) against Baltimore got the shyt kicked out of them by a better team, and 2) against New Jersey they were out-coached and out-played. You can roll your eyes all you want, but if the Patriots are beaten by the Dolphins this Sunday it will not be because they "came out flat" (one of my all-time favorite worthless phrases, second only to "system quarterback.") They're both BS.

They didn't come out "flat" in those games, they simply 1) against Baltimore got the shyt kicked out of them by a better team, and 2) against New Jersey they were out-coached and out-played. You can roll your eyes all you want, but if the Patriots are beaten by the Dolphins this Sunday it will not be because they "came out flat" (one of my all-time favorite worthless phrases, second only to "system quarterback.") They're both BS.

1.) Coming out flat is not B.S.

2.) The Patriots came out flat against the Ravens in 2009.

Is there a team that didn't torch the Pats secondary this year? ... Why would it be any different this week?

No, they didn't.

I guess it depends upon your definition of "flat". If "flat" means emotionless, that's probably false (and you're probably right). If "flat" means "getting their asses handed to them" then that's indisputably true (and you're wrong).

Ravens' opening drive:
- Rice 83 run TD (7-0 Bal)

Patriots' opening drive:
- Maroney 2 run
- Brady -3 pass to Edelman
- Brady -9 sack by Suggs, fumble, recovered by Bal

Ravens' next drive:
- McGahee 3 run
- McGahee 3 run
- Rice 5 run
- Rice 5 run
- McClain 1 run, TD (14-0 Bal)

Patriots' next drive:
- Brady -7 sack by Lewis
- Faulk 9 run
- Brady incomplete to Aiken
- Punt

Ravens' next drive:
- Rice -1 run
- Flacco incomplete to Mason
- Flacco incomplete to Rice
- Punt

Patriots' next drive:
- Brady 6 pass to Faulk
- Faulk 5 run
- Brady incomplete to Maroney
- Brady INT by Carr

Ravens' next drive:
- McGahee 0 run
- McGahee 9 run
- Flacco 1 run
- Flacco 13 pass to McGahee
- Rice 1 run
- Rice 1 run, TD (21-0)

Patriots' next drive:
- Faulk 4 run
- Brady INT by Reed

Ravens' next drive:
- McGahee 4 run
- McGahee -4 run
- Flacco incomplete to Mason
- Cundiff 27 yd FG (24-0)

So, um, yeah, the Patriots got absolutely destroyed in that opening quarter, in every conceivable fashion. Typically, when people say that a team came out flat, they mean that they got rolled. But if all you mean is just that they weren't emotionless, who knows.....

No, they didn't.

Yes, they did. Their emotional/energy level was nowhere near what it should have been. You can question the "why" all you want, but the fact of it was there for all to see.

And it happens to teams in all sports. Hell, it's one of the reason people talk about "trap" games.

Last edited:
Who cares how many yards Moore throws for? I'm sure Fasano will have a good game as he is an underrated guy who always seems to do well against the Pats.

As long as the Pats win I don't care what happens. To quote the Tuna, "You are what you record says you are."

Fasano is 50/50 to play this weekend thanks to a concussion.

Yes, they did. Their emotional/energy level was nowhere near what it should have been. You can question the "why" all you want, but the fact of it was there for all to see.

And it happens to teams in all sports. Hell, it's one of the reason people talk about "trap" games.
No, they didn't. Trap games do occur. Last season at Cleveland was a classic example. The two play-off losses were not "trap games." Bill Parcells coined the phrase by referring to regular season games in which a heavily favored team, usually playing at home, but not always, takes a seemingly lesser opponent for granted. I don't believe that's possible in a play-off game. I think teams can be somewhat over-confident in play-off games, but I don't believe they can take a play-off opponent for granted. Now, all of that is just my opinion, but I'm not sure you can ever define your beliefs as opinion. I'm guessing, they are factual absolutes which are never, ever open to debate, discussion or rational discourse. But, once again, that's just another of my opinions.

Last edited:

Considering that Fasano hasn't been cleared yet, I think it's closer to 75% chance that he won't be playing.. Which means we could see Will Yeatman dress for only the 2nd time this season....

That's too bad as I like and respect him. The guy has had no one throwing him the football and still makes plays.

why are you making Matt Moore out to be playing so great? This is his stats:

Buffalo Bills - 160 yards passing

Cowboys - 288 yards passing

Oakland - 162 yards passing

Eagles - 95 yards passing

Bills - 217 yards passing

Why all of a sudden is Matt Moore going to throw for 500 yards us, again?
Orlovski, Sanchez, Flynn...May I follow with the list ?

Forgot Grossman.
But yes we shut down Tyler Palko and Tebow was under 300 yards. This defense reminds me of 2003 season. rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents