PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#EATLIKEAGOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife decided we should try this...I agreed because, well, it's softball season and I've been eating way too much crap lately.

I've had six of these meals now and every one of them has been delicious. They're all full of good stuff - spice for the joints, anti-inflammatory ingredients.

I can make fun of it with the rest of the boys, but the truth is, I could happily eat this for dinner five nights a week (need the sixth for going out to eat and the seventh for ordering in garbage with the guys at our game night).

My wife decided we should try this...I agreed because, well, it's softball season and I've been eating way too much crap lately.

I've had six of these meals now and every one of them has been delicious. They're all full of good stuff - spice for the joints, anti-inflammatory ingredients.

I can make fun of it with the rest of the boys, but the truth is, I could happily eat this for dinner five nights a week (need the sixth for going out to eat and the seventh for ordering in garbage with the guys at our game night).

Thank you for an honest review. I'm happy to hear the food is good because I think it looks awesome.

Do I dare ask the cost? Will I need a second mortgage?

It's $78 a week (3 meals for 2 = $13 a plate). So, yes, it's not cheap. I've just started and I've yet to decide how long I'll keep going. But, God, the sandwich and sparkling water I had for lunch yesterday came to over $10.

I need to get adjusted to their preparation style, but the two recipes I've done weren't that difficult and the presentation on the recipe cards was very clear and easy to follow. Still, cooking something new every night isn't easy. Perhaps they'll start cycling in a bit.

It's fortunate that I'm not under so much pressure at work as I was a month or two ago -- I'm not sure I'd spend the time if I were coming home later and more tired.

It looks great. I'm in.

Looks like the worms were supposed to be a side not a topping.
Cashews?
It's $78 a week (3 meals for 2 = $13 a plate). So, yes, it's not cheap. I've just started and I've yet to decide how long I'll keep going. But, God, the sandwich and sparkling water I had for lunch yesterday came to over $10.

I need to get adjusted to their preparation style, but the two recipes I've done weren't that difficult and the presentation on the recipe cards was very clear and easy to follow. Still, cooking something new every night isn't easy. Perhaps they'll start cycling in a bit.

It's fortunate that I'm not under so much pressure at work as I was a month or two ago -- I'm not sure I'd spend the time if I were coming home later and more tired.

Most of cooking is knife work. Then there are a handful of actual heating methods. There is a reason most kitchens are filled with clowns like myself who have made dubious decisions along the way; it is not difficult given the will to learn (plus once you start drifting through various spice families and cultural profiles...you get "the bug.")

$13/plate sounds absurd if it is in fact vegan (save inclusion of spendy herbs/spices or oils. Maybe pre portioned herb/spice packs? Oils? Vinegar? Sure nuts can be spendy, but i didnt see many cashews there). Protein (i use the term as in "dead animal," not nuts or tofu) is typically the highest cost item on a plate, so if these meals are lacking such, there is no fuggin way they should run 13 per.

Didn't realize it was vegetarian. My wife would love if I made this stuff for her!

Didn't realize it was vegetarian. My wife would love if I made this stuff for her!

It's actually vegan, but you wouldn't know it when you're eating it.

My wife and I have been Vegan for about 10 years and I do the cooking. I use minimal oils and load up on low fat complex carbs like brown rice, potatoes, whole wheat pastas etc. If you create enough flavor through spices and condiments it's totally sustainable and you don't feel like you are missing out.. Except for bacon maybe...

Cashews?

Most of cooking is knife work. Then there are a handful of actual heating methods. There is a reason most kitchens are filled with clowns like myself who have made dubious decisions along the way; it is not difficult given the will to learn (plus once you start drifting through various spice families and cultural profiles...you get "the bug.")

$13/plate sounds absurd if it is in fact vegan (save inclusion of spendy herbs/spices or oils. Maybe pre portioned herb/spice packs? Oils? Vinegar? Sure nuts can be spendy, but i didnt see many cashews there). Protein (i use the term as in "dead animal," not nuts or tofu) is typically the highest cost item on a plate, so if these meals are lacking such, there is no fuggin way they should run 13 per.

Actually, the price is only $3 for the food, the rest is for the Tom Brady logo on the box.

Yup.

The knife work needed here isn't all that great, once you get the idea of what's wanted (so, when it says "dice" you need to know "how big? -- my lovely assistant wasn't very clear). What's more a matter of judgement is "how much?", "how hot?" and "how long?". Making a dough, for instance, with the gluten-free flour, you have to guess how much water to put in (I think I made it too sticky -- but it could just be that the flour sucks). It says to cook the tofu in a non-stick skillet over a "medium-high" heat until "golden brown". I'm not a tofu cook and that is easier said than done without the stuff sticking and/or breaking up.

All of which is to say that I think I'd be better at the recipes the second time through. They aren't intrinsically very difficult. It's mostly about preparing a ton of stuff then mixing it together for serving.

If you cost the ingredients it is indeed absurd. But that's capitalism, isn't it? If you've got a good idea, charge what the market will bear.

And on the other side is this. Though the ingredients individually are probably cheap, there are a lot of them, including some pretty obscure spices and condiments (or, at least, ones that I -- who know basically about European food -- had never heard of). Each recipe has about a dozen pre-packaged ingredients, a lot of them very small (a spoonful of coconut flour, etc.) Packaging that and presenting the recipe cards (which are very well done) is probably quite pricey. And, on the other hand, it would cost you a ton to have all of those ingredients in your kitchen, even if you could find them at your local store, for the small amount you use.

I'm thinking that, if someone were selling this stuff from a food truck for $8 a portion, I'd be happy to pay it and it would do very well. I haven't ever seen the food from Blue Apron, though I have had lots of on-line ads for it (hasn't everyone?) and it looked to me like the kind of thing I'd be ashamed to have to have pre-packaged (like bottled salad dressing). This stuff, on the other hand, is way outside what I'd be able to do for myself, so perhaps it's worth the price to me.

Going to give it another couple of weeks in any case.

Yup.

The knife work needed here isn't all that great, once you get the idea of what's wanted (so, when it says "dice" you need to know "how big? -- my lovely assistant wasn't very clear). What's more a matter of judgement is "how much?", "how hot?" and "how long?". Making a dough, for instance, with the gluten-free flour, you have to guess how much water to put in (I think I made it too sticky -- but it could just be that the flour sucks). It says to cook the tofu in a non-stick skillet over a "medium-high" heat until "golden brown". I'm not a tofu cook and that is easier said than done without the stuff sticking and/or breaking up.

All of which is to say that I think I'd be better at the recipes the second time through. They aren't intrinsically very difficult. It's mostly about preparing a ton of stuff then mixing it together for serving.

If you cost the ingredients it is indeed absurd. But that's capitalism, isn't it? If you've got a good idea, charge what the market will bear.

And on the other side is this. Though the ingredients individually are probably cheap, there are a lot of them, including some pretty obscure spices and condiments (or, at least, ones that I -- who know basically about European food -- had never heard of). Each recipe has about a dozen pre-packaged ingredients, a lot of them very small (a spoonful of coconut flour, etc.) Packaging that and presenting the recipe cards (which are very well done) is probably quite pricey. And, on the other hand, it would cost you a ton to have all of those ingredients in your kitchen, even if you could find them at your local store, for the small amount you use.

I'm thinking that, if someone were selling this stuff from a food truck for $8 a portion, I'd be happy to pay it and it would do very well. I haven't ever seen the food from Blue Apron, though I have had lots of on-line ads for it (hasn't everyone?) and it looked to me like the kind of thing I'd be ashamed to have to have pre-packaged (like bottled salad dressing). This stuff, on the other hand, is way outside what I'd be able to do for myself, so perhaps it's worth the price to me.

Going to give it another couple of weeks in any case.
For those things you arent sure of (tofu) try one at a time til you get an idea of what you want (a little oil goes a long way as well).

I wasnt sure about the spices and whatnot, that does bring the cost within reason.

Small dice is typically quarter in cubes, large dice half, small dice eighth. Good luck!

Got my box in the mail yesterday. Started cooking the bean burgers this morning. Yep. For dinner. I'm already cooking. Why? Because:
Step 1: Get Picklin'!
You have to spend ten minutes simmering onions and then refrigerate them to pickle them for dinner.

Reminds me of the 'Make your own umbrella kit' gag gift from the Onion. 'Get Umbrellin'!'

This stuff is not trivial. But the ingredients I have pored over so far are super fresh, really cool stuff. People are saying the price is too high frankly I'm not sure. If I bought all this stuff at Whole Foods I'd probably be paying a lot. Plus the helpful cards with details about how to cook the meals.

So far I'm excited. Frankly I'm not sure how it will taste, but it certainly lives up to its promise of providing vegetable-based high quality meals. It's a present for my wife, who is a vegetarian.

I will update tonight after eating the bean burgers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes