PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Edited Title:) Writer thinks Zappe is winning the QB "battle"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooper Rush and Mike White also had better stretches in their time as starters than Zappe did.

Cooper Rush had better stretches than anything Mac Jones did last year, so it’s tough to understand what precisely the point is you are making.

Yeah I don't know about that one either... Seems like at least half of his INTs were "WTFs?"
I think that is just the point this made up stat is trying to make. What is actually happening in these WTF moments. Is it a bad route, is it a tip because of a missed block, etc.

Of course created stats like that do not prove or unprove a person's opinion of how a QB is playing, BUT it does give us an indication and that indication is that Mac is pretty good at protecting the ball "statistically", but needs to get better in the "subjective" world of fandom. ;)

I can’t think of anyone who is actively rooting for the kid to fail.
I thought "activity rooting" for one to fail was simply liking one more than the other on here.

Cooper Rush had better stretches than anything Mac Jones did last year, so it’s tough to understand what precisely the point is you are making.
Not sure what Mac Jones has to do with the fact those QBs had better stretches than Zappe.

Not a stretch to believe that’s because they’re better than Zappe and also a lot of backup QBs could have done what Zappe did last year.

Not sure what Mac Jones has to do with the fact those QBs had better stretches than Zappe.

Not a stretch to believe that’s because they’re better than Zappe and also a lot of backup QBs could have done what Zappe did last year.
A lot of backups could've done what Mac Jones did last year too.

A lot of backups could've done what Mac Jones did last year too.
Very true. Doubt he’ll be around for long unless we see a Mac who is better than both last year and his rookie season too.

Yep.

The - or at least my - big question concerning Mac is: How well does he handle pressure/adversity?

The answer thus far in his Patriots career is: Not well, at all.

He never, Ever faced Any of that in college, or anywhere else in his tennis-playing, pre-teen-model life until he arrived in Foxborough.

His 2020 Alabama team would've wiped the floor with the 2021 & '22 NEP, either with or without him under Center. Fact.

Playing well in TC is > not playing well in TC, but that's as far as I go with that praise.

There is also no QB competition or controversy: Mac hasn't done anything to lose his #1 job, and Zappy hasn't done enough to take it from him either.
Agree that the big question about Mac is his composure under pressure. I fear that he's emotional and when unsettled makes bad decisions. He was the 5th best QB by EPA/play last year when not pressured but he was close to the worst when seeing pressure. Which is all he will see until proves he can handle it one way or another.

I'm hopeful with better coaching and experience he can get there, but composure under pressure is the big question with him.

I don't think that there is a QB "battle"

However, I believed Zappe played fairly well last night (10 for 12, and over a 90 QB rating).

Stats can be misleading. However, he did this behind the very worst OL I can remember. I do understand that my memory of the past 60+
years of watching pro football might have diminished some.

However, I believed Zappe played fairly well last night (10 for 12, and over a 90 QB rating).

Stats can be misleading. However, he did this behind the very worst OL I can remember. I do understand that my memory of the past 60+

The pass to Thornton was a nice pass. Otherwise, he was "eh" last night. I don't really blame him for it since the o-line was awful. But the Pats' longest drive with Zappe was 43 yards (27 yards on the Thornton pass).

And the starting o-line last year was at times worse than last night. Have you already forgotten how there were times that neither tackle blocked anyone - literally.

The pass to Thornton was a nice pass. Otherwise, he was "eh" last night. I don't really blame him for it since the o-line was awful. But the Pats' longest drive with Zappe was 43 yards (27 yards on the Thornton pass).

And the starting o-line last year was at times worse than last night. Have you already forgotten how there were times that neither tackle blocked anyone - literally.
I think he was eh by design. Better he played it safe than to lose him for a while to injury.

Maybe I am crazy but I thought the Houston defense played pretty well. That doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things but they had good coverage, defenders were right in on the tackle on outlets, no yac's. I thought Zappe played okay considering the jail breaks, and he did get rid of the ball for 4-6 yard outlets but the next play was always a bust. I don't recall anything over the middle all night, did I miss some? The receiver room is set barring injury with only Boutte having an outside chance. I don't panic about the running game. Harris and Strong will be alright if they ever get any blocking. Hope Bolden and Speer make it on Special Teams because I would like to see if they could develop. So much depends on Strange and Onwenu getting back. Makes my rose colored glasses cloud up a little. Too much hype for Mills for my liking. Not saying he can't do the job, just last night was not a reason to get excited. Did Perkins play or is he injured again? Roberts disappointed me last night. I thought he might provide some interior pressure but I didn't see it. Ekuale makes my team. I didn't see enough of Bledsoe to think he could be a McCourty replacement and he played the entire game. Time to let go with Shaun Wade, Tre Nixon, and maybe JJ if they bring in another back. I will not overreact!! Gulp!!

Zappe started last night
Black Cat GIF

The only battle will be for QB2 once McSorley gets cut and Zappe finds himself in a competition with Cunningham for the back-up role.

If I were Belichick I would gas McSorley :poop:... and @Zappe :poop:.. try to grab a coveted 6th for him
Sign a veteran who will support Mac unlike the impudent PISSANT @Zappe
Cunningham Foxboro flu.

Throwing for less than 100 yards and half his pass attempts behind the LOS. And blowing a 1st and 10 in OT at midfield.

And then he was smacked by the 32nd ranked Bears defense….yikes

Dude can be a very good backup. No evidence to date he’s more than that.
For some reason, the fact that he didn’t completely **** the bed turned into he played really well. The Packers last year were average like the Patriots and the reason the game was close was the defense.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
It's pretty clear at this point that it's Mac's job to lose.

The QB competition was a media fabrication. And now the media will move onto Cunningham to generate clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents