PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Enter Elandon Roberts: welcome to a new NE playmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thought may be an overreaction, but this kid could have a big impact on our defense and season.

If Roberts can be the steal of the draft and be a starter at MLB, that means Hightower rushing the passer more. We could really use Hightower attacking QBs more often based on our early season pass rush.

Isn't Hightower one of the most efficient pass rushers in the league? Could he play DE?

Are there any cutups posted of his highlights from yesterday?

This thought may be an overreaction, but this kid could have a big impact on our defense and season.

If Roberts can be the steal of the draft and be a starter at MLB, that means Hightower rushing the passer more. We could really use Hightower attacking QBs more often based on our early season pass rush.

Isn't Hightower one of the most efficient pass rushers in the league? Could he play DE?
The impact of players like Roberts/Flowers/Hamilton goes beyond what they do themselves. They make the defense less reliant on the top players, cut down on double teams,and allow the superstars to do their own thing. Roberts would directly benefit HT/Collins.... and, if he is able against the pass, free up Chung on TE coverage to help stop the run; as well as Flowers benefiting Sheard/Long and allowing Ninkovich to stand up and shut down the run like we did yesterday. On the other side of the ball, we are going to have a fun season watching Marty and Gronk boost each other by stripping the D of plausible gameplans.

The cherry on top would be a young CB stepping up, letting McCourty/Ryan shut down other team's WR1 every game while having Chung creep up into the box.

I'm excited about him. LB depth has been a problem in the last few years and he could help with that.

Word on Roberts when he was drafted was that he was a "tackling machine". Certainly looked like that yesterday. There seems to be some disagreement over how he looked in coverage but I thought he looked good.

Maybe he got the start due to the concussion to McClellin, but McClellin may have just lost his spot on the roster.

High seems best used rushing like free agent .. as vividly (and painfully) demonstrated yesterday.
Without #3CB emerging I hope to see more 3LB looks. Better use of speed and power this way. And not only against run heavy teams.

Id like to have BUF game back only to see what difference it would make if they used Roberts (and Ninko) instead of Freeny (and McClellin) there. Freeny was the main liability on the D especially with High limited and maybe that was one big key to the loss.

If Rowe shows up, great, but until then I hope to see more of High-Roberts-Collins looks with Ninko (possibly Mingo, healthy McClellin) in rotation. Put Freeny purely on ST duties while this guys are healthy (Freeny actually was in CLE game - 13 snaps on STs!)

I still want KGH back. :(

For what it's worth, KGH has been a gunner and Jonathan Jones beat him out for the gunner position. And Roberts played better on defense than KGH in pre season.

Roberts instincts are very advanced. Not sure he can hold up physically for a whole season, but I like what I saw against Cleveland.

2nd Quarter

10:05 Browns, 2nd and 16 @ CLE 31
34-I.Crowell left tackle to CLE 33 for 2 yards (52-E.Roberts).

06:03 Browns, 1st and 10 @ CLE 2
I.Crowell left guard to CLE 2 for no gain (E.Roberts). #62 Drango Eligible receiver

02:18 Browns, 2nd and 11 @ CLE 19
(Shotgun) 15-C.Whitehurst pass short middle to 29-D.Johnson to CLE 25 for 6 yards (23-P.Chung; 52-E.Roberts).

3rd Quarter

11:42 Browns, 2nd and 8 @ CLE 26
(Shotgun) C.Whitehurst pass short left to T.Pryor to CLE 27 for 1 yard (E.Roberts).

09:42 Browns, 1st and 10 @ NE 28
(No Huddle) I.Crowell right tackle to NE 30 for -2 yards (E.Roberts).

06:44 Browns, 1st and 10 @ CLE 20
(Shotgun) 15-C.Whitehurst pass short middle to 16-A.Hawkins to CLE 25 for 5 yards (52-E.Roberts).

00:30 Browns, 1st and 10 @ NE 25
(Shotgun) 15-C.Whitehurst pass short right to 82-G.Barnidge to NE 18 for 7 yards (52-E.Roberts).

are we really going there on the shoulders of one game, most of which was garbage time?

3rd Quarter

11:42 Browns, 2nd and 8 @ CLE 26
(Shotgun) C.Whitehurst pass short left to T.Pryor to CLE 27 for 1 yard (E.Roberts).

09:42 Browns, 1st and 10 @ NE 28
(No Huddle) I.Crowell right tackle to NE 30 for -2 yards (E.Roberts).

06:44 Browns, 1st and 10 @ CLE 20
(Shotgun) 15-C.Whitehurst pass short middle to 16-A.Hawkins to CLE 25 for 5 yards (52-E.Roberts).

00:30 Browns, 1st and 10 @ NE 25
(Shotgun) 15-C.Whitehurst pass short right to 82-G.Barnidge to NE 18 for 7 yards (52-E.Roberts).

Thanks for posting the clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back