PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/Reiss/PFT: Moss and Patriots agree on 3-year, $27M deal [mergedx9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ESPN/Reiss/PFT: Moss and Patriots agree on 3-year, $27M deal [mergedx2]

here was the expected herald spin
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1077348&srvc=pats&position=1

FWIW i didnt click the link but read an excerpt on si.

Why Moss isn't getting offers
Posted: Monday March 03, 2008 07:03AM ET

Three days have passed since Randy Moss hit the open market, reportedly seeking to find a better deal than what the Pats already have put on the table. However, the Pats' offer appears to be the only one of note that has been extended to him. They're likely close because Moss hasn't found a market. He's found no takers; at least, no one in the media has heard about any. One prominent agent has a theory as to why there's been no buzz about offers or visits involving the high-profile receiver. He suggested "the market is chilled" because the perception is Moss is merely going to use the offer to have the Patriots match it. Why get involved if you know Moss is going to end up with the Pats no matter what? The feeling is, the negotiations are still ongoing with the Patriots. He's trying to find a better deal so he can get a better one with the Pats. That's the bottom line.

Re: Moss reported to have agreed to $27 Million over 3 years

Whatever, as long as the Pats are somehow wrong. That's the important thing.

What? They appear to have gotten it done, my only point was that the agrrement is VERY fair to the Pats and is arguably a discount for a player like Moss. If he agreed early on to these terms but the Pats were being difficult about where the contract was loaded, I'd consider that low-balling him. And I'm never in the blame-Pats-crowd. It's done, that's good.

But I don't think it was Moss' fault it took this long. And I never claimed the Pats were at fault for low-balling him, that's what a good FO does, but that's why it's taken so long. I'm sorry you think I want to desperately label the Pats as "somehow wrong." You are mistaken.

But I don't think it was Moss' fault it took this long. And I never claimed the Pats were at fault for low-balling him, that's what a good FO does, but that's why it's taken so long. I'm sorry you think I want to desperately label the Pats as "somehow wrong." You are mistaken.

I, for one was wrong. Glad he is staying. Obviously the front office knows better than any of us. By the way Wildo, who is that guy in your signature and must you have a picture of some topless, ripped guy there...unless you are a woman...:)

By the way Wildo, who is that guy in your signature and must you have a picture of some topless, ripped guy there...unless you are a woman...:)

He is with the UFC. Name is George St. Pierre. He could basically kick Chuck Norris's butt blindfolded.

Re: Moss gets 3 year deal

about damn time, now i can get some sleep

Re: ESPN/Reiss/PFT: Moss and Patriots agree on 3-year, $27M deal [mergedx3]

Moss is still with Patriot and Pats signed another deal.

Randy Moss's three-year, $27 million contract with the Patriots includes a $12 million signing bonus. It is believed that Moss also received additional guaranteed money as part of the pact.

The Patriots hosted receiver Sam Aiken on a free-agent visit, and have reached an undisclosed contract agreement with him.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Aiken is considered a strong special teams performer. His receiving production has been limited, as he has 19 career receptions.

The Patriots are familiar with Aiken from having competed against him the last five seasons in Buffalo. The Bills selected Aiken in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.

Aiken will view to become a core member of the Patriots' special teams units.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

That's a good deal for both sides in my opinion... I'd bet the Pats wanted to lock Moss up longer - so long as that didn't raise the guaranteed money too much more, giving them a chance to stretch out the guranteed money further.

It's a fair price and Moss still has an opportunity to cash in again in 3 years (when there might be a new CBA - or possibly even an uncapped year.)

But I still have some serious qualms about Moss saying one thing and doing another, saying he only wanted to play for the Pats and then shopping himself elsewhere to raise his price, after saying he wasn't going after top dollar.

If Tom Brady decided to explore the market for a trade to a team that would offer him the most money I'd feel the same way with his departure from character and statements about playing for New England, with winning being more important than money. I'm not one to hold Moss or any player to a lower standard.

Moss will likely have to address how his statements and actions differed when he goes before the media, but in the end I give both sides credit for finding this compromise that works well for both sides, and I'm glad to have him back.

Last edited:

Pats finally signs somebody. Hopefully, they will sign more players next weeks.

I wonder how much, besides the 12, of that is guaranteed, but as it stands now, that is most definitely a good contract for the Pats.

They can bring in another body to compete with Chad Jackson for the #3 WR but as it stands now, the highest scoring offense in league history has the major components in place to be really good next season.

Now that that's finished, let's work on some defense. :rocker:

Re: PFT: Moss deal done ?

JOHN CLAYTON =

beaky-buzzard.jpg

:rofl:Daa-dumpty-dumpty-dum-dum.....Errr....My momma dun told me, to bring home sum dinner. Great comparison!!

Re: PFT: Moss deal done ?

Right. I love that.

I have "preliminary and uncorroborated" rumors that Lindsey Lohan & Jessica Biel both want to sleep with me.

Those two-timing sluts! I'm deleting their numbers from my phone.

Dear Mr. Moss

You probably don't look at this website, but I would like you to know that as a long time Pats fan I am pleased that you have decided to resign with our team. Perhaps one of your friends visits and will relay this message.

There is no better player than Brady on our team. I respect his opinion and thoughts more than anyone that has ever played for our team. The only player that comes close is Grogan -- darn he never received the respect he deserved, but he does from me.

Brady's opinion of you says everything to me. Everything. Also Belichick. And your performance on the field, well, over the top guy. Over the top. With my utmost sincerity I would like to see you retire as a Patriot.

I know this has been a difficult year for our players with Spygate. But I am also old enough to realize that with a winning team, some bad press (much of it unwarranted) the shark frenzy of the media can be disheartening. It has also been very hard on us, the fan base. Thanks you still decided to stay.

So, Mr. Moss (you deserve that respect), thanks. It will give many of us great pleasure to see you in a Pats uniform next year.:rocker:

Re: Dear Mr. Moss

Thank you! Happy I was able to get things done.

That's a good deal for both sides in my opinion... I'd bet the Pats wanted to lock Moss up longer - so long as that didn't raise the guaranteed money too much more, giving them a chance to stretch out the guranteed money further.

It's a fair price and Moss still has an opportunity to cash in again in 3 years (when there might be a new CBA - or possibly even an uncapped year.)

But I still have some serious qualms about Moss saying one thing and doing another, saying he only wanted to play for the Pats and then shopping himself elsewhere to raise his price, after saying he wasn't going after top dollar.

If Tom Brady decided to explore the market for a trade to a team that would offer him the most money I'd feel the same way with his departure from character and statements about playing for New England, with winning being more important than money. I'm not one to hold Moss or any player to a lower standard.

Moss will likely have to address how his statements and actions differed when he goes before the media, but in the end I give both sides credit for finding this compromise that works well for both sides, and I'm glad to have him back.

Why are you still assuming he shopped himself elsewhere?

You don't get it Joe. Randy also said he wanted a "fair" deal as part of his willingness not to break the bank. When your team allows you to test the market, that is what you do in order to establish what is fair and what is available and what you are willing to forego. If they ever let Brady become a FA, which they won't, I guarantee you he and his agent will gauge the market even if they ulitmately don't gouge the Patriots. Figures were being tossed around by the idiot sports media of $20-25M guaranteed and 5 year deals. Maybe Randy just wanted to be sure he wasn't leaving more money on the table than a rational being should be expected to. I think in the end it netted him some additional guaranteed money, although the over all deal is a little less than we first heard but the signing bonus is right where those early reports predicted it would be.

Re: Dear Mr. Moss

Thanks for the token of support, pats1yes. I also promise to retire in a Patriots uniform. Scouts honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back