PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN sinking Disney

ESPN has gone astray from what made it great to kneel in front of the NFL and killed the golden goose to serve it up as McNuggets at the other 31 family picnic. It should start by renegotiating the NFL deal and cutting monthly subscriber fees. Less, in this case, will be more.

It's time to yank Keith Olbermann out from in front of his Sony HandyCam propped on empty PreparationH boxes, and give him his show back on ESPN. Hell, he wouldn't even have to change the name, just get rid of the French surrender flag in the background (nothing personal #RichardCamembert). While they're at it, pay Dan Patrick to come back with McLovin' and the boys and get in the face of all that is wrong with big sports media.

The NFL thinks, wrongly, that it will fill the void created by the demise of cable TV. It can't. As ESPN and other NFL networks die their stupid death because they could do nothing but ratchet up fees until even the most dedicated sports fans cut the cord, they handed control to a guy whose lust for power and demand for obedience is sociopathic. It might be time to change course when you spend two years in court with the greatest that ever played over the air in his balls, ignore your top domestic violence legal counsel to get rid of your most dynamic rookie, and essentially file suit against yourself over the extension of the CEO's obscene contract.

Resist.

olbermann.jpg

I bet it’s more that Disney is destroying ESPN by implementing a rainbow strategy among ESPN shows

The reality is, no one counts the number of; women, gay/lesbian, Hispanic, etc. No need for shows with a minority perspective or E60 specials that appease rainbow warriors.

Just report on sports to sports fans. It’s the only reason ESPN exists. Keep all politics out of your shows because we watch sports to avoid that stuff.

ESPN did much better before Disney bought them.

The next round of ESPN layoffs should be interesting. Will it be as blatantly racist and sexist as the first round?

Stay tuned!
Let the ratings dictate who gets fired. That’s the measuring stick of performance.

And yes, shows are a popularity contest. If few like you, your show and performance sucks and it’s time to go.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Jerruh's lawyers are locking horns with Rog's lawyers ( Warning: BSPN link: Jones' lawyer: Owners misled in Goodell talks ) because Jerruh wants to put less guaranteed money into Rog's next contract.

It's pretty clear that Goodell's quest for $25B revenue has over-saturated the market with product.

Did anyone watch that SEA-ARZ mess last night?

I turned it on for a minute, and saw those lime-green SEA uniforms against the green grass background and asked myself, why am I watching this hot mess?

An instant later I was watching something else.

Which is amazing given that a year ago I watched every minute of NFL content that I could get over the air.

The cumulative effect of too much product and too many gimmicks like color rush uniforms has taken its toll on viewership.

NFL has lost its scarcity effect and now the only real event viewing it provides for me is Pats games.

I bet it’s more that Disney is destroying ESPN by implementing a rainbow strategy among ESPN shows

The reality is, no one counts the number of; women, gay/lesbian, Hispanic, etc. No need for shows with a minority perspective or E60 specials that appease rainbow warriors.

Just report on sports to sports fans. It’s the only reason ESPN exists. Keep all politics out of your shows because we watch sports to avoid that stuff.

Take the politics out of the games by getting rid of anthems. It's the only real way to get past all this protest crap. We don't have anthems before other entertainment events such as movies, concerts, etc so WTF do we have them before sports events?

Watching the business channel at the gym. espn to layoff 100.
While this does not seem like a huge #, commentators observed it is much larger than expected and significant for espn (but not for infinitely larger Disney).
Good, they earned the demise by straying from their core objective, sports coverage, which was doing well.

I think that Disney/ABC sowed the seeds of ESPN's downfall long before they (ineptly) began to implement diversity. Disney's replacement of the original "wild bunch" boys - analysts who actually knew their **** and focused on avoiding cliches - with former jock personalities who even superficial sports fans would recognize and who were less resistant to reading pre-digested scripts.

I've been a first-hand witness to what happens when a relatively small company that was successful because of the special qualities and dedication of its employees gets taken over by a larger corporation that runs things by the Wall Street playbook. It's never pretty and nearly always results in the destruction of the small-but-special firm.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Jerruh's lawyers are locking horns with Rog's lawyers ( Warning: BSPN link: Jones' lawyer: Owners misled in Goodell talks ) because Jerruh wants to put less guaranteed money into Rog's next contract.

It's pretty clear that Goodell's quest for $25B revenue has over-saturated the market with product.

Did anyone watch that SEA-ARZ mess last night?

I turned it on for a minute, and saw those lime-green SEA uniforms against the green grass background and asked myself, why am I watching this hot mess?

An instant later I was watching something else.

Which is amazing given that a year ago I watched every minute of NFL content that I could get over the air.

The cumulative effect of too much product and too many gimmicks like color rush uniforms has taken its toll on viewership.

NFL has lost its scarcity effect and now the only real event viewing it provides for me is Pats games.

Another aspect of this is that much of what the NFL has done to popularize itself with the relatively sports-ignorant and fickle masses in pursuit of rapid revenue inflation is to alienate their base of long-time, hard-core fans of the sport.

At some point, these new "fans" will, for whatever reason, begin to decide some other entertainment diversion is shinier and more amusing and "cooler" and drift away.

ESPN has gone astray from what made it great to kneel in front of the NFL and killed the golden goose to serve it up as McNuggets at the other 31 family picnic. It should start by renegotiating the NFL deal and cutting monthly subscriber fees. Less, in this case, will be more.

I've never heard anyone argue that ESPN's problems will be resolved by actively seeking less subscriber fees. That was their golden goose which brought them to their heights. Replacing that amount of revenue is a long shot at best and would only exacerbate their current problems.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back