PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Safety Eric Weddle on Coming to New England "It Would be Funny if I Ended up There"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A safety would be a very typical Belichick FA move: A position that seems to have quality starters already, that makes people shake their heads because there are more pressing needs. Then Chung or McCourty will get injured and it will look downright clairvoyant.

“We’ve played them so many times. The thing I like about them is they don’t have an ego. It’s insane to think about how good they’ve been. I’ve just been to one AFC championship game. They’ve been there every year. You respect it, you envy it, you admire it.”

But, but, bu.. All I hear about the Pats is how arrogant and full of themselves they are....

I say engage.....can't hurt

Chung has earned his safety role I wouldnt bump him down just corporate more dime and quater defense.
I hate to say it but Weddle is a classic Baltimore or Pittsburgh signing hope im wrong.

I like Weddle but I don't see safety as a need for this off-season and he's not a long term signing.

In this passing league you can't have enough DBs who can cover, and Weddle is a very good cover safety.

Sign the beast.

Chung has earned his safety role I wouldnt bump him down just corporate more dime and quater defense.
I hate to say it but Weddle is a classic Baltimore or Pittsburgh signing hope im wrong.

Chung been playing more a LB role than safety last 2 years.

I say sign the beast! Move McCourty back to single high safety, and Weddle could take on McCourty role last year!

A lot of big Nickel with Chung, McCourty & Weddle? Wouldn't say no to seeing that, at all!

Signing a decent veteren player who is hungry for a ring and will bring some character to the team, sign me up. I mean that 2001 team was stacked with those types of players.

Harmon played 55% of the snaps in 2015. Imagine Weddle in that role instead.

I'd consider it if the price is right. Our nickel defense would be intense, especially with Sheard, Jones, Easley, and Hicks/Ninkovich rushing the passer.

I'm really not understanding this argument. Calling Chung a linebacker doesn't put an extra safety on the field. It puts a linebacker on the field in place of a safety, and they just happen to both be the same guy. If Chung is a "linebacker," then the Pats ran half their snaps with only one safety on the field last year, and obviously that safety is going to he McCourty.

Love Weddle as a player but it's not a need by any means and they have real needs. RB, WR, OL, and 2TE all need to be addressed and even more depth at CB would come before safety imo.

they have real needs. RB, WR, OL,

I think you people that think OL is a need should brace yourselves for absolutely no movement there. Cannon is still on the team at a $4.7m cap hit and Fleming just got tendered

I think you people that think OL is a need should brace yourselves for absolutely no movement there. Cannon is still on the team at a $4.7m cap hit and Fleming just got tendered

I think a veteran on the interior OL is likely but OT will be addressed in the draft.

Yeah lots of moves they need to make more.

I like him a lot, but a starting safety isn't a move they need to make

Safety this year isn't an immediate need, so if he wants to come here he has to take a discount and not chase the money. It's all about the price. However, if he's willing to take a discount I would love to have him here. A safety corps of McCourty, Chung and Weddle is among the best, if not the best if you consider depth with Harmon and Richards behind them, in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes