PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

They have the defense to lock down the Buc's receivers now, plus a very good front 7.
The RB on that team will be injured half the year like he always is and the QB is Darnold. They seem to be investing alot in the defense and it's paid off though you are right. What did they do? Spend the last 2 drafts on defense?

He hasn't drafted a pro bowler since 2013 unless you count our punter lol
Jamie Collins was all pro and pro bowl but your point is clear. Many on the board can’t see that.

We didn't pay Talib. We got him for a 4th rounder and then only paid him $5mil the next year. Denver gave him his big contract. We got Revis on the cheap for a one year deal and then the Jets paid him. We never paid Butler either. Gilmore is the only one we paid and let's face it, Jackson is not close to Gilmore's level but he is going to command CB1 contract. I doubt Bill gives it to him but who knows. I certainly hope he does.

Revis 1 year deal was a lot of money. He probably was the highest paid CB for that year. Talib was a great trade, I remember the 2013 game where he single handily took out a prime julio jones on 4th down in the endzone and then sat on the bench with SWAG. We lowballed him in 2014 but made up for it with Revis

We paid Gilmore CB1 money when everyone here said it was an overpay.

Ya weird how people were saying that when they signed him and thru the first few weeks of 2017, now it's a terrible blunder to let him go after he had a major quad injury, is 31 and is looking for a 1 last big payday.

Jamie Collins was all pro and pro bowl but your point is clear. Many on the board can’t see that.

Collins was drafted in 2013. So yes, since 2013 he hasn't.

He was misused. Bill tried to make him an outside #1 CB when he was a slot CB. Had s decent career after leaving in Indy.
I remember that weird period where Bill kept drafting CB's well under 6' and they were getting "Chris Canty'd" by giant WR's lol. Finally Bill went after some height and had better results

Revis 1 year deal was a lot of money. He probably was the highest paid CB for that year. Talib was a great trade, I remember the 2013 game where he single handily took out a prime julio jones on 4th down in the endzone and then sat on the bench with SWAG. We lowballed him in 2014 but made up for it with Revis
But I thought your point was that we paid CBs? We really haven't at all. Gilmore has been it. You have to go back to Law I think to find another similar deal at that position.

Chris Canty was so bad that Pete Carroll paid Troy Brown extra money at practice to "drop" a few while Canty was covering him to improve his confidence. I guess Jefferson and Brown used to whip Canty in practice like a practice dummy and make him cry.

I remember that weird period where Bill kept drafting CB's well under 6' and they were getting "Chris Canty'd" by giant WR's lol. Finally Bill went after some height and had better results
Yeah that started in 2008 where he had a fetish with “quick twitch players” that were awful.

But I thought your point was that we paid CBs? We really haven't at all. Gilmore has been it. You have to go back to Law I think to find another similar deal at that position.

Well I assumed we did. Revis was the highest paid corner in 2014? Talib I didn't realize was getting paid that little. Samuel was the highest paid in 07

The RB on that team will be injured half the year like he always is and the QB is Darnold. They seem to be investing alot in the defense and it's paid off though you are right. What did they do? Spend the last 2 drafts on defense?

I think the Panthers may have just witnessed how Bill manhandled Tampa's receiving corps on Sunday and decided that to get Gilmore to help them compete against the Bucs. Their offensive line is not great, but Darnold is improving and McCaffrey practiced today. They are really going all in this year, especially on defense. Suddenly the NFC south is no longer a gimme with Carolina and NO better than advertised.

Chris Canty was so bad that Pete Carroll paid Troy Brown extra money at practice to "drop" a few while Canty was covering him to improve his confidence. I guess Jefferson and Brown used to whip Canty in practice like a practice dummy and make him cry.
Chris Carter was my favorite Pete Carroll disaster. Willie Clay was let go for him.The hype around him from Pete was unreal and he got torched throughout the 1999 season. He’s a terrible DB that doesn’t get enough love around here.

Last edited:
This is a legitimate question. I’m not sure how comp picks work but it may depend on the contract structure. Might be a risk/reward type of thing.

A 6th is too low. They should’ve moved him last season for a 3 or 4, if possible.
Comp picks always work on a formula that starts with FAs you sign and subtracts FAs you lose.

The most value a 10th year vet can get is 5th round.

So, unless you think we're not going to sign many FAs and the ones we sign are older, chances are we'd get no comp for Gilmore.

Also, of course, we'd also not get any cap relief and would still be paying him while he (presumably) continues to hold out.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back