PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give Big Al a High Five For Carter's 2nd Sack

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the front 7 continues to play and put pressure on opposing qbs the way they are, and if DMC can get even close back to rookie form we have a championship caliber defense to go along with the best offense in the game.

Bodden has been solid, Arrington is playing his best ball easily, the S position is looking better and better with James Ihedigbo playing along side Chung, if only DMC can step his game up like we all think he is capable of, championship caliber D baby.

He had a good game, IMO. The entire defense seemed to be on the same page the entire game. I liked what I saw. I hope they keep improving.
Who would have thought that at this point in the season, the team would be getting more from Haynesworth than Ocho? :bricks: I never saw that coming at all.

I would have. Ocho had to learn an entirely new offense without the benefit of a real offseason. Haynesworth is playing in a simplified defense where he's being asked to do things that aren't too far off of what he's always done.

Funny, I was listening to 98.5 and Jermaine Wiggins said Haynesworth had zero effect on Carter's sack because the 3 blockers he took up were on the other side of the line. Granted Wiggins basically wanted to say the defense on Sunday was basically the same defense we have seen all season and the Cowboys just made them look good. Felger threw in that the triple team wasn't by design and someone just blew an asignment.

I still wonder if Wiggins actually played the game. He clearly knows nothing about it. Even Mazz seemed shocked that Wiggins could say some of the stuff he was saying. And yes, I am complaining about something someone said on the radio again, but at least it is topical.

90% of Wiggins career was based on the fact he could run in the snow without falling down, I wouldn't expect any profound insights.

All I know is 5-3 leaves 2 Offensive linemen (or whatever blockers Albert was vacuuming up). Tying up 3 blockers is just sick, period.

I'm happy to see Al quietly doing his job and doing it well. I was irritated (though not too surprised) to see the usual "are you even watching this game?" comments when someone in the game thread mentioned that Al was playing well. It's like some people can't even acknowledge what's right in front of them because they only see what they have decided to see.

I heard that as well .. I texted in, and said what friggin game was Wiggy watching?

As a fmr Pat with a ring who had the game of his life in the "Snow Bowl" , I respect Wiggy but his football analysis has much to be desired.

As a fmr Pat with a ring who had the game of his life in the "Snow Bowl" , I respect Wiggy but his football analysis has much to be desired.

Yeah, i slighted him for the joke. An incredible performance in that magic season, never to be forgotten. He should never have to pay for a beer in Boston (unless he still lives in Boston, in which case I'm sure his friends would get tired of buying rounds:D).

If the front 7 continues to play and put pressure on opposing qbs the way they are, and if DMC can get even close back to rookie form we have a championship caliber defense to go along with the best offense in the game.

Bodden has been solid, Arrington is playing his best ball easily, the S position is looking better and better with James Ihedigbo playing along side Chung, if only DMC can step his game up like we all think he is capable of, championship caliber D baby.

You are way too high on this D. They won't be "championship caliber" at any point this season.

I'll settle for above average.

They step up in the redzone, but how often and easily opponents get there is concerning.

Albert did get to Romo once, right after he threw the ball. Kevlar or no, that had to hurt!!

Reminiscent of AH's sack of Brady in the preseason.

Last edited:
You are way too high on this D. They won't be "championship caliber" at any point this season.

I'll settle for above average.

They step up in the redzone, but how often and easily opponents get there is concerning.

Im not way too high on the D, I really think there gonna become good enough to win the big game with if they continue to progress.

Im not way too high on the D, I really think there gonna become good enough to win the big game with if they continue to progress.

The D might hold their own, but it will be the offense winning games when it counts, not the other way, imo.

I think that it's pretty clear, to most football minded folks that actually watch games, that offensive lines have had to put extra people on Big Al ALWAYS when he is in the game and that has opened up other opportunities for other parts of the line.

This play is just one of several examples that we could cite. Al himself my not get many big plays this year, but a lot of people around him will. He changes the way offenses have to defense our defense.

Last two games have been very encouraging on that front.

Last edited:
I think that it's pretty clear, to most football minded folks that actually watch games, that offensive lines have had to put extra people on Big Al ALWAYS when he is in the game and that has opened up other opportunities for other parts of the line.

This play is just one of several examples that we could cite. Al himself my not get many big plays this year, but a lot of people around him will. He changes the way offenses have to defense our defense.

Last two games have been very encouraging on that front.

Agreed. I saw multiple occasions (multiple means at least a handful) where AH bullied his 'chunk' of the OL quickly forward. This makes the QB move (hopefully making him uncomfortable before he throws), feel the need to get rid of the ball quicker...... and it also allows a greater chance someone else on the D makes a play on the QB or a run stuff.

It would be great if AH was making plays, however, if he can routinely get that real good and quick push on the blockers in front of him, I'm satisfied AH is a solid plus for the D.

Arguably DMC is hurting the D more than any single player (as unfair as that is to DMC). Planning the defense for 2011, I assume BB and co. considered that side of the field solid with DMC. He would keep the opposing #1 or #2 WR in check (maybe not shut down but in check). The remaining secondary could then focus more defenders on a smaller group of receivers). With DMC struggling, it makes for a significantly more wide open field for the opposition's passing attack.
I think DMC has to come around for the D to make the big strides it needs.

The D might hold their own, but it will be the offense winning games when it counts, not the other way, imo.

This strikes me as a fairly arbitrary distinction. The offense will remain this team's strong point, if that's what your saying. But both units will be called on to close games out. The field position and time of possession battles require them both to be effective, although I do think that passing rules are to the point that we might see a legitimately bad defense win a SB one of these years. It'll probably be some dome team that goes 14-2, gets home field advantage throughout, and never has to play a playoff game outside.

Arguably DMC is hurting the D more than any single player (as unfair as that is to DMC). Planning the defense for 2011, I assume BB and co. considered that side of the field solid with DMC. He would keep the opposing #1 or #2 WR in check (maybe not shut down but in check). The remaining secondary could then focus more defenders on a smaller group of receivers). With DMC struggling, it makes for a significantly more wide open field for the opposition's passing attack.
I think DMC has to come around for the D to make the big strides it needs.

yea well, we all seem to have made that mistake....

but hopefully sometimes very soon MCD starts playing like we expect him to

I remember how well our horrid defense played against Pittsburgh last year. Having Bodden back, Arrington playing like hes been reborn, and with Haynesworth on this line, I cant wait to see how often we get to sack Rapistberger.

This strikes me as a fairly arbitrary distinction. The offense will remain this team's strong point, if that's what your saying. But both units will be called on to close games out. The field position and time of possession battles require them both to be effective, although I do think that passing rules are to the point that we might see a legitimately bad defense win a SB one of these years. It'll probably be some dome team that goes 14-2, gets home field advantage throughout, and never has to play a playoff game outside.

What I was saying was that while our D did an admirable job in only allowing 16 points, they still allowed 380 yards on the way there. Not every team will fail to punch it in and those 380 yards will turn into 30+ points like the Bill's did.

We know the result there. We have the most complete offense in the NFL, only Greenbay could match us point for point in recent weeks with Buffalo falling off, and luckily we won't see Greenbay this season outside of a Superbowl matchup.

I am happy with the progress, obviously, but I am not crowning this a 'championship caliber' defense unless by that you include a defense that was along for the ride of a team that can win a championship offensively.

The D won't be called upon to win a game in its current state, even on Sunday, while only allowing 16 points, it was still Tom Brady and the offense called on in the final minutes and leaving Dallas with only 27(?) seconds and 80 yards to go. Barring a Brandon Merriweather knock-out-your-own-teammate kind of play, any defense should hold there with a 4point lead.

The progress over the past 2 weeks is promising, but the D hasn't been as opportunistic as last season, and the offense has been much more careless, without looking at numbers I'd venture to say we've given up the ball twice as many times through 6 games as we did in 16 last year. The young defense is getting tested far more than anyone would like and getting exposed more often than not.

....I'd also be hesitant to put too much stock into the performance against the Jets, they have an embarrassing offense. If we limit more teams like Dallas I'll start be to more thoroughly impressed.

What I was saying was that while our D did an admirable job in only allowing 16 points, they still allowed 380 yards on the way there. Not every team will fail to punch it in and those 380 yards will turn into 30+ points like the Bill's did.

We know the result there. We have the most complete offense in the NFL, only Greenbay could match us point for point in recent weeks with Buffalo falling off, and luckily we won't see Greenbay this season outside of a Superbowl matchup.

I am happy with the progress, obviously, but I am not crowning this a 'championship caliber' defense unless by that you include a defense that was along for the ride of a team that can win a championship offensively.

The D won't be called upon to win a game in its current state, even on Sunday, while only allowing 16 points, it was still Tom Brady and the offense called on in the final minutes and leaving Dallas with only 27(?) seconds and 80 yards to go. Barring a Brandon Merriweather knock-out-your-own-teammate kind of play, any defense should hold there with a 4point lead.

The progress over the past 2 weeks is promising, but the D hasn't been as opportunistic as last season, and the offense has been much more careless, without looking at numbers I'd venture to say we've given up the ball twice as many times through 6 games as we did in 16 last year. The young defense is getting tested far more than anyone would like and getting exposed more often than not.

....I'd also be hesitant to put too much stock into the performance against the Jets, they have an embarrassing offense. If we limit more teams like Dallas I'll start be to more thoroughly impressed.

The Bills got 30+ points because Brady threw four interceptions. That's pretty much their MO this season: if they force a bunch of turnovers, then can put up a lot of points and beat you. If they don't, then they'll struggle. As for yards, they matter, but I don't really care about it that much. We won SB's with defenses that, by yardage ranking, were well below the NFL average. With the offense that we have, an opportunistic defense that forces turnovers and forces field goals in the red zone is plenty good enough. I dunno if we're they're yet, but I don't think we're all that far off. Depends a lot on McCourty and Mayo.

Last edited:
Thanks TS for that, I didn't even notice that during the game. Big AL is killing it

The Cowboys were averaging 418.8 yards per game and 24.8 points per game going into that game. The Pats held them significantly below their point average and below their yards average. In fact, the 16 points vs, the Patriots was the fewest points that the Cowboys have scored in a game all year thus far. The 49ers allowed 27 points vs. the Cowboys, Detroit allowed 30 points, and the Jets allowed 24 points and they are considered good defenses. And those averages had games where both Miles Austin and Dez Bryant out of the game where they both played on Sunday. So let's not minimize the achievement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back