PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give me your top 5 QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be interesting to see if Matty Ice is for real or not. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Falcons are, once again, a paper tiger waiting to wilt but we'll have to see.

Of course things are different. He's now playing with better talent surrounding him than he has the last few years in Indy with a better defense... and Brady still beat him (convincingly until our defense began to crap out, I might add).

I don't like to look at a football game as QB vs QB. It's a team sport. If you want to look at it as "Brady still beat him", well Eli beat Brady twice in the biggest game in sports. But that's not true because Eli really didn't beat Tom Brady, the Giants beat the Patriots.

I've been saying this from the start of the season, and I hate saying it, but Eli Manning is now the best QB in football, he is incredibly clutch. And that game against SF in the NFCG (I know SF gift wrapped it with 2 ST fumbles), I've never seen a QB get beat up so much without being rattled. Sure other QBs have been beaten up more, but they usually crumble. They may call Ryan Matty Ice, but what Eli has done in the clutch, he truly has ice water in his veins. He is Tom Brady circa 2003. My List

1) Eli Manning
2) Rodgers
3) TFB
4) Brees
5) Peyton Manning

I wish Tommy was number one.

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Eli
4. Peyton
5. Brees

1. Brady
2. Peyton
3. Rodgers
4. Eli
5. Ryan

And this is America. I'm not going to "give you" anything. You have to earn it.

I am with this but would slide in Roethlisberger in place of Ryan.

Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Ryan. Check my quote to see what Rodgers says about the best.

This list has to include intangibles, not just statistics. These guys are people, too, with real life strengths and rap sheets. The good and the bad:

1. Eli Manning - defending champ. unflappable and lowest sack %, leads the NFL in comeback wins in 2012
2. Matty Ice Ryan - best nickname, undefeated and the man on the way up
3. Peyton Manning - top passer rating on 11-1-2012 and most yards/completion, biggest forehead and longest surgical neck scar
4.Aaron Rodgers - most passing TDs on 11-1-2012, best insurance commercial
5 Jay Cutler - a true badass and I'm afraid of what he might do if I leave him off the list - this guy reminds me of Ken Stabler and Jim McMahon

Honorable Mention:Tom Brady. league leader in completions, attempts and yards and Drew Brees for yards/game and passes/game

Bottom 5:

1. Mark Sanchez - crappy arm, crappy head, crappy team, crappy coach
2. Cam Newton - whiny loser who needs to grow up
3. Tony Romo - aka The Human Turnover, leads the league in interceptions on 11-1-2012 - has more interceptions than 17 teams have total turnovers - ouch
4. Michael Vick - ex-con and The Son of The Human Turnover - has 17 total turnovers himself and is tied with Tony Romo
5. Ben Roethlisberger - just an all-around douchebag/rapist

Last edited:
I don't like to look at a football game as QB vs QB. It's a team sport. If you want to look at it as "Brady still beat him", well Eli beat Brady twice in the biggest game in sports. But that's not true because Eli really didn't beat Tom Brady, the Giants beat the Patriots.

I'm not looking at it as a head to head match-up. When they played, Denver had the better defense than New England. The Pats were still smacking them around well into the 4th quarter. Brady has been better in recent years and he's better now. Not to diminish Manning's season, as he's still been very good. But he hasn't been Brady, nor has he had to deal with the issues (makeshift O-Line, injuries to the top two receiving options, etc.) that Brady has.

I'm not looking at it as a head to head match-up. When they played, Denver had the better defense than New England. The Pats were still smacking them around well into the 4th quarter. Brady has been better in recent years and he's better now. Not to diminish Manning's season, as he's still been very good. But he hasn't been Brady, nor has he had to deal with the issues (makeshift O-Line, injuries to the top two receiving options, etc.) that Brady has.

I think Brady's all around better than Manning. He is the GOAT. Right now (week 8) on my list, Manning get the edge but not by much. If I had to make a top 5 every week, it would change based on performance in 2012. I wouldn't disagree with anyone putting Brady at #1. I think these top 5's are interesting because people rank their top 5 based on different things.

If we're talking about careers, Brees is light years ahead of Matt Ryan. If we're talking about this season, I don't get how people can pick Brees over Ryan.

Matt Ryan : Has completed 68.7% of his passes for 2018 yards 17 TD/6INT and a QB rating of 103.0. His team is 7-0.

Drew Brees: Has completed 59.7% of his passes for 2310 yards 20 TD/8INT and a QB rating of 93.0. His team is 2-5.

(Brees has thrown for 292 more yards than Ryan with 50 more attempts.)

It seems to me that Eli is a great QB if you place a greater emphasis on 4th quarter comebacks than you do on playing an entire game well during a win. Brady, conversely, actually loses points for consistently putting his team ahead and coasting to the W.

2301 62.6 12/8 89.1
vs. (as an example)
2408 65.3 16/3 100.6

How does the top line in any way scream "best QB in football?"

If I were starting a team today:

#1) Rodgers
#2) Luck
#3) RGIII
#4) Eli Manning
#5) Cam Newton

If I needed a QB for this season:

#1) Peyton Manning - He has been ridiculous and I hate having him there.
#2) Tom Brady - Awesome and will be even better with a healthier Gronk and AH.
#3) Eli Manning - Clutch
#4) Rodgers - putting up numbers with Jennings out and Nelson at 50%?
#5) Drew Brees - Impressive given lack of running attack, coaching and D.

1. Brady
2. Rogers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan

Honorable mention Big Ben . . .

With respect to your selections,I see no way that any list of the top five QBs in the NFL should be vacant of Eli on that list.

I know we all here can't stand the guy for his poutiness and all his success over NE in big games,but feelings aside,he is one smart and clever QB and there is no one,including Brady right now that I would want as QB if my team is in a close game and especially on the road where he is even better.

Last edited:
well they say you always judge by Super Bowl wins....

Brady
Eli Manning
Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees

(but personally I think Rodgers, Brees and Petyon are all better than Ben)

yeah yeah I know...Thats 6

Last edited:
1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Eli
4T. Peyton/Brees/Ryan/Roethlisberger

Last edited:
Peyton racked up most of his stats against terrible defenses (Raiders, Saints, Pats(secondary)).
I'm not sure what to make of the steelers defense considering it hasn't been the same this year with all the injuries and whatnot but he played well against them and the Chargers so some credit there.

1a. Brady
1b. Rodgers
3. Peyton
4. Eli
5. Ryan

And Teams have control over who they play??? Stop it!:snob:

1. Eli
2. Rodgers
3. Brady
4. Peyton
5. Ryan

Matty Ice has two elite WRs, an elite TE and plays in a dome in a bad division so.... while he's playing great, I'm not ready to crown his ***** just yet.

This year or all time?

For this year alone:

1. Tom Brady
2. Matt Schaub
3. Matt Ryan
4. P.Manning
5. D.Brees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday