PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important is Brady's career TD record to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we agree that winning trumps everything, and I wouldn't trade championships for Brady's personal records, with that said, yeah I'd love for Brady to retire at the top in virtually every category. But look at how many rushing TDs the Pats had this year...clearly Brady doesn't really care that much about that, especially compared to winning. He'd happily throw 0 touchdowns as long as the Pats win.

Could not care less about any records, stats and any of the HoF / legacy jazz. For any player or coach.

Really, you didn't think it was cool when Ty Law made the Hall of Fame? Not even a little?

Really, you didn't think it was cool when Ty Law made the Hall of Fame? Not even a little?

It is good for him but it really didn't give me any joy except for a few nostalgic moments after reading about it. That being said if he didn't make it in I would have not cared too much so what can I say ?

Going ga-ga about stats, especially regular season stats, is such a Colts fan thing to do.

Brady's legacy (GOAT) is rock-solid secure even if he never wins another game or completes another pass.

Let me start by saying this isn't an either/or. I'm not asking if you'd RATHER see Brady break the career regular season TD record by sacrificing something team related. I don't believe in superstitions about yardage, TDs, etc. and curses having to do with winning after achieving them. So obviously WINNING is always #1 for Patriots fans, and nothing can compare to winning playoff games and championships. Secondly, this is clearly a record made to be broken. The career yardage and career TD marks typically stand for roughly 5-10 years. In the modern era, Marino held the record for 12 years before being passed by Favre, who held it for 7 years, before Manning, who has held it for five years.

So as a pure standalone achievement, are you rooting for Brady to break the record and outlast Brees? And if so, how important is it to you? We are so lucky/spoiled with the Patriots that we can see this record as somewhat of a cherry on top of a cherry.

For me, I'd really like to see Brady own this record. In fact, if he owned the TD and passing yards records he would then have:

-Most Super Bowl TDs
-Most Super Bowl passing yards
-Most Postseason TDs
-Most Postseason passing yards
-Most Regular Season TDs
-Most Regular Season passing yards

To retire with that line would be remarkable.

In addition, I would like to see it happen because of the constantly false narrative that Manning was a better regular season QB than Brady. This isn't true in any way, as Brady has been better than Manning in regular season, postseaon, and Super Bowl. Back in the early 2000s we had to listen incessantly about The King of volume statistics.

In addition, Brees has so obviously tried to break this record for his whole career with so many garbage time TDs. Manning and Brees also played in domes and in South divisions (warm weather) for their entire careers.

Also, who do you think retires with more volume TDs and passing yards? Brady or Brees?
Honest to god, could not care less if Brady ever throws another TD pass, so long as the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

I expect Brees will have more regular season yards and TDs, although it also looked like he fell off the cliff pretty quickly at the end of last year.

It is good for him but it really didn't give me any joy except for a few nostalgic moments after reading about it. That being said if he didn't make it in I would have not cared too much so what can I say ?

Fair enough, always good to hear other perspectives.

Brady already has more super bowl appearsance than ALL other teams.

Brady has more Super Bowl losses than 16 teams have appearances. WHAT?!?!?!

The league has become offenses oriented its not that important. I'm only interested in records that are hard to break. I hated Manning but his 5 regular season MVP will survive any stats inflation, and 6 SB win will stand for a long long long long time.

Could. Not. Care. Less.
Now that the Manning comparisons are completely moot and Tommy Boy needs to add another room to his mansion to house Lombardis, I don't see fixation on TD metrics.
My favorite achievement stats are the 2 record setting comebacks from way down in the 2014 and 2016 SBs.
All I care about is the team contending as long as Tom plays and his leaving in good health when he's too old to be a contender.

I could care less about him passing Brees. It would be nice for him to pass Goober, though.

Last edited:
If you asked TB hed say he only cares about Lombardis and mean it.

Brees will likely get the record before Brady. Payton's offense is pass happy. The question is whether Brees will retire before Brady. That'll determine who gets the record.

Regardless, most acknowledge Brady as the GOAT. And quite frankly, the world saw first hand from about Thanksgiving on why anybody with a brain would take Brady over Brees. The championship games were a perfect example. One guy converted three 3rd and 10's in OT. The other couldn't get TD's. Oh, and he threw a pick in OT.

tenor.gif

"Stats are for losers, the scoreboard is for winners"

I guarantee most people who profess not to care will still be expressing their happiness in the game day thread when it happens (and / or the other thread dedicated to it the same week). Likes and Winners will abound.

I'm with @SBLIII.

No one knocks Jordan or Bill Russell for not having all the personal statistical records in their sports. They are seen for what they are, the greatest champions in American professional team sports.

TB12 in that discussion is fine by me.

There are quite a few NBA players with more titles than Michael Jordan, including a player who played at the same time.
Russell, the true GOAT, has 11 titles.
Sam Jones has 10 titles
Tom Heinsohn, KC Jones, Tom Sanders and John Havlicek have 8 titles.
Jim Luscutoff, Frank Ramsey and Robert Horry have 7.
Bob Cousy, Kareem and Scotty Pippen have 6, as many as Jordan.

I care about it more than I care about the Jets.

If the "passing TD" stat only included catches that took place within the end zone, I'd care.
I don't value the current stat simply because 1 yard passes can turn into 80 yard TDs and the QB did a minimum amount of work and receives a disproportionate amount of credit.
Delivering the ball inside a clogged 10 yard rectangle deserves its own category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes