PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'll admit i was wrong - Amendola didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and I were on the same page in our critiques about the FO regarding their part in the WW situation. Having said that, what difference does that make now? Regardless of how one felt about WW good or bad, it's not unreasonable for anyone to now independently assess Amendola's performance or lack thereof this season.

While I would not consider DA a bust I wholeheartedly agree that out he did absolutely nothing this season to dispel the longstanding reputation that he is unreliable. If DA's lack of performance was due to injury that speaks for itself relative to his established history of being hurt (and thus unreliable). If DA was underwhelming for other reasons that's not a good thing either.

I agree, it doesn't make any difference at all, that's just one of the reasons i never brought it up when discussing Amendola. they made their decsion and i understand what they were thinking, they wanted a new slot guy who could finish Brady's career with him rather than keeping Welker for another season or two and then trying to bring one in. It made sense but did not pan out this season, hopefully it will not play too big a role in the edelman discussions. it should not enter into those discussions because they were still willing to sign sanders and that is really the decision facing them now, Edelman/Sanders/ or somebady else. Imo that decision should go to Edelman unless he prices himself out of the market. hopefully Edelman won't get the same crap Welker did if he tests the market and leaves, the Patriots don't pay top dollar and it is unreasonable to expect players to take less to stay here. They may be better off careerwise staying here but their real obligation is to themselves and their families. pro careers are short and these guys need to make the most of them. I hope he returns but won't blame him if he takes more money to play somewhere else.

Amendola was healthy and in the last 4 regular season games had a total of 6 catches.

No he wasn't. he had a completely torn abductor muscle and to say otherwise is total BS.

Once again, as i said to Elijah, show us where you argued against the signing when it happened. Last i knew he wasn't able to do so, we'll see?

Well he might not be sharing those catches with Edelman and if Edelman does leave,then Amendola likely sees a lot more snaps. In 2011, Welker had 120/1500 season with Gronk, Hernandez and Branch all getting plenty of receptions themselves. That allows for plenty of leeway on a 100/1000 season for Amendola. And even if he doesn't attain those heights then he can still make a significant impact.

I agree with the bolded. I'm just pointing out that, using the same arguments people here were using about Welker, the logic that you and I agree about doesn't hold up.

Interestingly, and again according to ESPN, Welker had 174 targets last year, yet the Patriots were still able to get 130 targets to Lloyd, 84 to AHern, 79 to Gronk, 55 to Woodhead and 32 to Edelman, along with 29 to Branch. The stats seem to agree with both you and I.

I agree, it doesn't make any difference at all, that's just one of the reasons i never brought it up when discussing Amendola. they made their decsion and i understand what they were thinking, they wanted a new slot guy who could finish Brady's career with him rather than keeping Welker for another season or two and then trying to bring one in. It made sense but did not pan out this season, hopefully it will not play too big a role in the edelman discussions. it should not enter into those discussions because they were still willing to sign sanders and that is really the decision facing them now, Edelman/Sanders/ or somebady else. Imo that decision should go to Edelman unless he prices himself out of the market. hopefully Edelman won't get the same crap Welker did if he tests the market and leaves, the Patriots don't pay top dollar and it is unreasonable to expect players to take less to stay here. They may be better off careerwise staying here but their real obligation is to themselves and their families. pro careers are short and these guys need to make the most of them. I hope he returns but won't blame him if he takes more money to play somewhere else.

Top dollar is relative to ones worth to the team. If JE signs elsewhere there will be no shortage of fans here claiming the Pats offered him a better deal or he had a greedy agent. The Pats will get praise for knowing the market even if it proves to be pennywise pound foolish. They weren't adverse to signing Chad Ochocinco to a big contract yet lately their pockets tighten when proven players already on the team want the market rate.

Top dollar is relative to ones worth to the team. If JE signs elsewhere there will be no shortage of fans here claiming the Pats offered him a better deal or he had a greedy agent. The Pats will get praise for knowing the market even if it proves to be pennywise pound foolish. They weren't adverse to signing Chad Ochocinco to a big contract yet lately their pockets tighten when proven players already on the team want the market rate.

I agree, i never understood the willingness to pay Ocho 6 million but not Welker, and while i have come around on their unwillingness to go long term I still think they were foolish to pass on his offer to match Denver. I do understand that they thought they were set inside but they could have played Amendola outside (theoretically) for a season and then gone from there. As it was they ended up signing edelman, which turned out to be the best value of any free agent, and he (once again theoretically) was supposed to be an inside guy.

Would you have counted on Edelman considering his injury plagued career. And yet one injury free season with Brady nets him the 100/1000 season he got this year. There's no reason to think that Amendola can't do the same with an injury free year.

There were 4 occasions when Edelman replaced Welker due to injury during Welker’s tenure here; in those 4 games he had 27 receptions for 265 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns, which projects over 16 games to 108 receptions, 1060 receiving yards and 8 touchdowns. Take a look at this season and it is basically that projection.

• 9/20/09 – 8 receptions, 98 receiving yards
• 9/27/09 – 3 reception, 20 receiving yards
• 1/3/2010 – 10 receptions, 103 receiving yards
• 1/10/2010 – 6 receptions, 44 receiving yards, 2 touchdowns

2010-2012 we added the following receiving options to this team either through trade, draft or free agency:

• Rob Gronkowski
• Aaron Hernandez
• Taylor Price
• Deion Branch
• Chad Johnson
• Danny Woodhead
• Brandon Tate (drafted in 2009 but spent most of the season on injured reserve)
• Brandon Lloyd
• Shane Vereen
• Daniel Fells
• Greg Salas
• Donte Stallworth
• Jabar Gaffney

Needless to say Edelman was pushed back to a special team’s player as the abundance of high draft picks, big name trade acquisitions, and UFA signings took priority over him or in the case of some players like Woodhead they fit a specific role better.

Enter 2013 Edelman has an opportunity to play and what does he do? He does exactly what he did in 2009 when he replaced an injured Wes Welker as a rookie, he performs as a high level. Let’s also not forget during the time that he was not in the mix as a receiver he was setting the record for punt return average and playing a solid nickel cornerback role to help get this team to the 2011 Super Bowl.

So to answer your question there is plenty of reason to think Amendola can’t do it and the primary one is that he has had the opportunity to be a starter and a top 1 or 2 target on his team for 4-5 season and has never achieved it, Edelman trended it in the 4 games he was able to player starter reps as a rookie and then did it in his first season where he had the opportunity to be a starter.

There were 4 occasions when Edelman replaced Welker due to injury during Welker’s tenure here; in those 4 games he had 27 receptions for 265 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns, which projects over 16 games to 108 receptions, 1060 receiving yards and 8 touchdowns. Take a look at this season and it is basically that projection.

• 9/20/09 – 8 receptions, 98 receiving yards
• 9/27/09 – 3 reception, 20 receiving yards
• 1/3/2010 – 10 receptions, 103 receiving yards
• 1/10/2010 – 6 receptions, 44 receiving yards, 2 touchdowns

2010-2012 we added the following receiving options to this team either through trade, draft or free agency:

• Rob Gronkowski
• Aaron Hernandez
• Taylor Price
• Deion Branch
• Chad Johnson
• Danny Woodhead
• Brandon Tate (drafted in 2009 but spent most of the season on injured reserve)
• Brandon Lloyd
• Shane Vereen
• Daniel Fells
• Greg Salas
• Donte Stallworth
• Jabar Gaffney

Needless to say Edelman was pushed back to a special team’s player as the abundance of high draft picks, big name trade acquisitions, and UFA signings took priority over him or in the case of some players like Woodhead they fit a specific role better.

Enter 2013 Edelman has an opportunity to play and what does he do? He does exactly what he did in 2009 when he replaced an injured Wes Welker as a rookie, he performs as a high level. Let’s also not forget during the time that he was not in the mix as a receiver he was setting the record for punt return average and playing a solid nickel cornerback role to help get this team to the 2011 Super Bowl.

So to answer your question there is plenty of reason to think Amendola can’t do it and the primary one is that he has had the opportunity to be a starter and a top 1 or 2 target on his team for 4-5 season and has never achieved it, Edelman trended it in the 4 games he was able to player starter reps as a rookie and then did it in his first season where he had the opportunity to be a starter.

Edelman had the GOAT at QB, Amendola didn't.

Edelman had the GOAT at QB, Amendola didn't.

Project Brandon Lloyd’s stats during his 11 games with the Rams in 2011 out over 16 games and you get – 74 receptions and 993 receiving yards; in 16 games with the Patriots and the GOAT in 2012 Lloyd had 74 receptions and 911 receiving yards which were basically identical. Whatever difference the GOAT makes is quickly equalized by the fact that most teams if not all teams treat games against Brady and the Patriots like their SB game and when they play teams like the Rams they’re likely thinking of their next opponent. By the way the season back in 2009 that Edelman started 4 games for Welker that was the season the GOAT was returning from missing the entire 2008 with major knee surgery so he was not as GOAT like as usual. QBs are seldom the causation for great WR play as some suspect.

He couldn't have been more useless in the title game. I don't know if he's hurt but honestly i don't care. I hold my hands up and admit i was wrong about Amendola being able to mask the Wes loss.

Edelman completely, completely overshadowed and outplayed him in the slot this year and deserves the cash that Danny has.

The simple fact is that the Broncos had nobody off the line more than 15 yards practically the entire game. Not having a single player able to keep the defensive backs honest hurt us big time. That plus the Broncos beating the beejesus out of our offensive line was also a killer (also due to the fact that they had zero concerns about anyone catching a long ball). Doesn't help that TB can't make the long toss accurately anymore (not that he was great at it the last few years either). I'm pretty proud of these guys making chicken soup out of chicken **** all year but there was no way going into Denver that we were going to win that game with the current staffing. Kudos to the team, they did fabulous this year but it wasn't in the cards yesterday. Amendola had nowhere to get open and Welker wouldn't have done any better IMHO.

I don't want to make a whole thread about this, but I have to ask (anti-McDaniels people will be happy with this):

Why the hell is this team calling fade routes to Austin Collie, and why the hell is this team having Edelman running slant routes that are so deep downfield that he's effectively running about 60 yards before he even gets to the ball?

To say that doesn't play into either player's strength is an understatement of significant proportions.

Project Brandon Lloyd’s stats during his 11 games with the Rams in 2011 out over 16 games and you get – 74 receptions and 993 receiving yards; in 16 games with the Patriots and the GOAT in 2012 Lloyd had 74 receptions and 911 receiving yards which were basically identical. Whatever difference the GOAT makes is quickly equalized by the fact that most teams if not all teams treat games against Brady and the Patriots like their SB game and when they play teams like the Rams they’re likely thinking of their next opponent. By the way the season back in 2009 that Edelman started 4 games for Welker that was the season the GOAT was returning from missing the entire 2008 with major knee surgery so he was not as GOAT like as usual. QBs are seldom the causation for great WR play as some suspect.

Amendola and Brandon Lloyd are two entirely different receivers.

Amendola and Brandon Lloyd are two entirely different receivers.

Amendola played 12 games last season and had 666 receiving yards and 12 games this season and had 633 receiving yards. The GOAT didn't really help his cause very much either.

Amendola was healthy and in the last 4 regular season games had a total of 6 catches

You don't have like the signing and can even say he was a flop this year. But please don't make up stats.

Over the last 4 regular season games he had 17 catches.

Amendola played 12 games last season and had 666 receiving yards and 12 games this season and had 633 receiving yards. The GOAT didn't really help his cause very much either.

This is meaningless:

A) He Was injured

B) The development of his relationship with Brady was affected by the time he was out.

We'll have to come up with some sort of bet. I say he'll have more than 633 yards next season. you?

Amendola was the invisible man the entire year. Pats should cut him and BB had better go and find a couple of good receivers or there will be more of the same. Manning would not put up with management if he had the "weapons" that Brady has.

You don't have like the signing and can even say he was a flop this year. But please don't make up stats.

Over the last 4 regular season games he had 17 catches.

I think he was referring to the final 4 games played in which he had 6 total receptions for 131 receiving yards.

Re: Deus:

Probably the weak spot in the Broncos scheme. Pats didn't have the personal to take advantage.

Amendola was a bad investment this year. If he had an injury that goes away in the offseason, then he still may prove useful. If he was invisible or underperforming after suffering an injury that he didn't quite recover from, then it is a bad season by which to judge him.

Nothing changed after yesterday's game. The Pats didn't have the number 1 receiver this year to spread the defenses out, and without Gronkowski the short to intermediate passing game suffered. Comparing what happened with Hernandez, Gronkowski and Lloyd is apples and oranges. The verdict is still out on Amendola's contract, as well as the decision to add him to the team.

We had a ragtag group of total misfits at the position this year, and that didn't come close to helping the situation.

I don't think it's much of a leap to expect a better year in 2014. He had a mediocre to poorer year. That said, 4.5 catches per game when he played while obviously injured isn't quite the travesty that some are attempting to make it out to be either.

The Amendola deal is likely to be a 2 year deal with year to year decisions, so if he doesn't have a good enough year in 2014 then we'll approach him with a restructuring offer. If they can't agree, then we can move on from Amendola in 2015 if Belichick sees fit.

Thankfully, most decisions by Belichick aren't made for the future based off of one year, or we'd have most posters here give Edelman 10 million a year and immediately cutting Amendola, based on 2013 alone. Much like the Mark Anderson situation, Belichick isn't going to base his decisions based off of one good or bad season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes