PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is It Time For Mayo To Be Our Head Coach Or To Move On

If Mayo is passed up, he needs to ask Bob to let him move on. He made an idiotic business move and he has nobody to blame but himself.
MOVE ON!!! Sorry he has very little experience and none as HC. Trying to resurrect this team after a horrific 4-13 season will be tough for the most seasoned vet….and with the primary area of need for next year is the OFFENSE….i don’t think he is what we need right now!

I didn't know the Rooney Rule extended to coordinators. I understand its intent but am skeptical whether the rule has ever resulted in hires that otherwise wouldn't be interviewed.
They added that requirement in 2021. In 2022 they even added a Rooney Rule requirement to QB Coach. If you want to replace your QB Coach, you have to interview a minority external to your team first.

Mayo Please Move On, but I wish you luck
Some guys knowledgeable or not, do not make good head coaches

Mayo has never impressed me speaking And he does not appear to have a leaders personality

Look at Josh McDaniels, real good OC, but he lost the respect of the team in Denver & Vegas. He does not have what it takes to be a head coach

He passed up a potential HC interview, which is not easy to get. He came back to NE with no new title such as AHC of DC and the team has taken a nosedive. Pats coaches under Bill have a horrible reputation.
He received a $6M cash signing bonus plus a raise, enough to keep him for a year don't you think?

Is Mayo really in a worse situation this year. He is a coach of 1/2 the LB who should get lots and lots of interviews for DC and some for HC.

It is Belichick and the Kraft's who made the crazy decision by not making Mayo DC and Assistant Coach.

DC and Assistant HC: Yes. HC: Not yet.
That might work, but it should have been done last year.

If there is a HC who is focused on the Offense, then this could work, but not with someone like Vrabel as HC.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for Mayo to be HC. The OC and Consultant/Asst Coach would make virtually all the decisions on the Offense, along with the GM who would make the money and cap decisions. Mayo, and the Belichick kids would focus on the Defense; Bob and Josh would focus on the Offense.

MOVE ON!!! Sorry he has very little experience and none as HC. Trying to resurrect this team after a horrific 4-13 season will be tough for the most seasoned vet….and with the primary area of need for next year is the OFFENSE….i don’t think he is what we need right now!
Well its either him or Vrabel, both defensive guys.

He received a $6M cash signing bonus plus a raise, enough to keep him for a year don't you think?

Is Mayo really in a worse situation this year. He is a coach of 1/2 the LB who should get lots and lots of interviews for DC and some for HC.

It is Belichick and the Kraft's who made the crazy decision by not making Mayo DC and Assistant Coach.
The ultimate goal is to become a HC. What was the harm of just interviewing with Carolina last year? Turning down a HC interview was bizarre and isn't a good look among Owners. This would absolutely be asked why he did this if he is considered again.

There have been good to great Coordinators who never get considered. You can't take that for granted and expect another Owner is waiting for you next season.

Now with McDaniels flaming out in LV, almost all of Bill's assistants have crashed and burned and/or weren't liked by players.

If the Patriots hire someone other than Mayo he will leave, and rightfully so given that he passed on HC interviews to remain here.

I will take a pass on Mayo he is only coveted by fans in new england. You really never hear his name mentioned for any openings. I would want to play for a guy like Vrabel but this team needs and offensive make over badly

Who knows if Mayo would take official DC title and stay for someone like Vrabel (or JMD, or BOB..)

But, question is - would Vrabel come in at DC if BOB is given the HC... or Harbaugh comes as HC?

If you’re going to clean house and start over fresh (which is what this team needs IMO) you need to cut the whole coaching staff. I like Mayo, he certainly seems to have a place coaching in the league but we need an overhaul

If you’re going to clean house and start over fresh (which is what this team needs IMO) you need to cut the whole coaching staff. I like Mayo, he certainly seems to have a place coaching in the league but we need an overhaul
I agree to a degree.
But I highly doubt the Krafts want to clean house. I bet they want to keep the 2nd level of position coaches and staff to retain some continuity and "dynasty connection". Although, not saying Mayo is one of those.

With Bill gone it should be an overhaul of the staff. I mean what is the benefit of getting rid of BB and hiring a BB lite? You may as well of kept the real deal.

Vrable, Harbaugh one of the trendy OC guys etc... but no one that is currently employed by the New England Patriots. If the new guy wants to keep a few coaches and they are amenable to returning so be it. But cutting off the head and thinking things will get better by growing a new head sounds like insanity to me.

Why do you think our defense was so great?
I agree, some here have been overstating the Pats 2023 defense, in my opinion.

The Patriot defense was good, but not great.

Yes, there was a stretch where the Pats gave up 26 points in three games - but that was against the Colts, Giants and Chargers (in awful weather). Prior to that opponents scored 38, 34, 21, 25 and 31, followed by Washington's #25 offense scoring 20.

Were the Patriots hurt by injuries? Absolutely - but can't the same be said for 31 other teams?

Points Allowed: 15th, 21.5
Yards Per Game: 7th, 301.6
[Note: the Jets and Panthers gave up fewer yards; few would call those defenses elite]
DVOA: 9th, -4.5%
Takeaways: 18, T-23rd
Yards per Play: 4th, 4.7
Third Down: 6th, 36.3%

Yes, there was a stretch where the Pats gave up 26 points in three games - but that was against the Colts, Giants and Chargers (in awful weather). Prior to that opponents scored 38, 34, 21, 25 and 31, followed by Washington's #25 offense scoring 20.

Were the Patriots hurt by injuries? Absolutely - but can't the same be said for 31 other teams?

[Note: the Jets and Panthers gave up fewer yards; few would call those defenses elite]

Looks Top 7 from those stats. Seemed to be even better in the last half of the year.

My issue is how you have some fools saying Mayo paid his dues. He's been an assistant for 4 seasons. Never a coordinator and didn't even call the plays on defense. He's never worked anywhere outside of Foxborough. The man hasn't paid sh*t. I hope Kraft's effort to maintain a great image around and outside of the league isn't influencing his decision to hire Mayo as the next guy. Vrabel clearly is the best option to follow Belichick, best to sell to the fan base, the most qualified and just simply makes the most sense.

Just my strong opinion.

Come on now. Mac Jones was responsible for at least 40 points the defense gave up. Was it an all-time elite defense like we had in the early 2000s or again in 2014 and 2018? No. But it was clearly a top 5 unit.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back