PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G

He was on the field last night and they lost

Football, one of the last refuges in an increasingly complex changing world to meet the desperate desire for simple, binary answers.

I think he can be a good stopgap for a team if he stays healthy, but i think hes shown he’s highly unlikely to ever win a sb for someone. The 9ers were stacked in 2019 and the throws were there at the end for sf to keep that lead. This year they weren’t quite as good, but the nfl was pretty wide open and with all the breaks sf got in that game they should have been able to convert yesterday into a win with a real qb.

Its just tough with his injury history if a team is willing to pay 25 mill a year for someone like that. I bet someone will but I wouldn’t

49ers will move on from him imo. You've seen what you have. And it's good. But not great enough in big games to beat elite level QB's. Even his wins are spotty. He tried his best to throw the game away to Dallas & GB.

The 49ers are an elite QB away from being a SB contender imo. If they get Rodgers, they'll be favorites in the NFC. But GB won't trade him to a rival.

Here's another thing. OT. Kyle Shanahan is the Doctor Rivers of the NFL. Minus a championship. The man has precided over three straight collapses: 28-3, 20-10, and now 17-7. What exactly has he accomplished in this league except blow huge games? I shake my head when I see him being compared to guys like McVay & Belichick from the media. Most overrated coach in sports maybe.

Got to the Championship game. Did not bad.
There's a limit to what he can do.

You don't win SB's with guys not playing elite at the QB position.

Look back at the past 10 SB winners:

Brady (Elite)
Mahomes (Elite)
Brady (Elite)
Foles (Was playing at an elite level headed into SB)
Brady (Elite)
Manning (Not good. But had the best D of this generation).
Brady (Elite)
Wilson (Playing good enough behind LOB)
Flacco (Elite play headed into SB)
Manning (See Flacco)

So I count one QB (2015 Manning) who wasn't playing elite. But they had an all time great D. And they faced a Carolina team with zero weapons.

Jimmy's best spots are SF and NE.

I think that there is little reason for SF to replace Jimmy in his last year. They'd just need to sign another veteran. Folks thought that Jimmy would split time in 2021; now it might be 2022.
There are 25 1/2 million reason for a team 5 mill under the cap with only 34 players signed.

Why would NE be a good spot? Is he at the clipboard holder stage of his career?

Brady (Elite)
Mahomes (Elite)
Brady (Elite)
Brady (Elite)
Brady (Elite)
Manning (See Flacco)

So I count one QB (2015 Manning) who wasn't playing elite. But they had an all time great D. And they faced a Carolina team with zero weapons.
But except for Brady and Mahomes you have average QBs who had a great season, so kind of limits your point. Yes they should be at an elite level that year but it doesn’t preclude average QBs from having a great year.

But except for Brady and Mahomes you have average QBs who had a great season, so kind of limits your point. Yes they should be at an elite level that year but it doesn’t preclude average QBs from having a great year.
But each of the other guys were playing much better than Jimmy heading into the SB. Joe Flacco was great that entire postseason. He won Baltimore games.

So unless the Niners somehow become the 85 Bears on D, it's time to try something else.

For a franchise that had Montana & Young, the standard should be higher.

Jimmy went 3 for 9 for 30 yards and INT in the 4th quarter.

In 6 playoff starts, Jimmy has a 28.0 passer rating in the 4th, ranking last among 69 QBs w/ 30+ 4th quarter passes in playoffs since 1991.

63dy39.gif

People like to crap on Jimmy but when he's on the field the 49ers win and when he's out they lose.
JAG's problem is that he's not a crunch time QB. Need that to win in the playoffs. Playoff wins are what owners want, not regular season gaudy stats...unless you're Green Bay.

Just saying I think he's done a decent job. Maybe he's a JAG but a good JAG who has got his team into big games. Yes, he then lost these big games but some QBs never ever get that far. Think JG is harshly viewed by some on here. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

That was definitely a good read. Although, as much as I hate to say it, it was Garoppolo's head, not his thumb and shoulder, that cost him. He repeatedly made some poor decisions during the postseason and didn't play anywhere close to as well as he could have.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he should have kicked and screamed and forced his way out last offseason and made Shanahan give him to Belichick for a reasonable sum. Instead, Belichick refused to budge when Shanahan tried to take advantage of their situation and the Patriots grabbed Mac Jones, which forced Garoppolo into a no-win situation with no clear landing spot and an uncertain future.

Good for us and I'm 100% glad we landed Jones over Garoppolo. But for Garoppolo, not forcing the issue blew his one chance at a stable situation with a coach who believed in him, and now his future is certainly up in the air.
yeah... its the "last game here ghost" was definitely in his head yesterday... and you are right, he should have forced his way out of SF... as soon as they traded away all those picks to move up, Don Yee should have been calling on Lynch to move him outta dodge...

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
He’s better than a game manager but he’s not elite. He can get you to the big game but he’s not gonna carry you to a title. If he has a good supporting cast and good coaching maybe you can make it happen. Have to wonder about where he fits though. I wouldn’t be shocked if McDaniels has some interest but he already has Carr.

People like to crap on Jimmy but when he's on the field the 49ers win and when he's out they lose.
He is 33-14 in the regular season. A .702 win%. That's better than such QBs as

Thats better than everyone not named
Brady
Manning
Mahomes

In SF in the last 5 years
JG 31-14
Everyone else 8-31
:eek:

49ers will move on from him imo. You've seen what you have. And it's good. But not great enough in big games to beat elite level QB's. Even his wins are spotty. He tried his best to throw the game away to Dallas & GB.

The 49ers are an elite QB away from being a SB contender imo. If they get Rodgers, they'll be favorites in the NFC. But GB won't trade him to a rival.

Here's another thing. OT. Kyle Shanahan is the Doctor Rivers of the NFL. Minus a championship. The man has precided over three straight collapses: 28-3, 20-10, and now 17-7. What exactly has he accomplished in this league except blow huge games? I shake my head when I see him being compared to guys like McVay & Belichick from the media. Most overrated coach in sports maybe.
It is a disturbing trend. But a 25 point lead is very different from a 10 point lead ...

Jimmy G had his chances with a very good SF team and could not capitalize on them. He will now go to a lesser team in need of a QB where unfortunately heroics are required to win which Jimmy does not possess. Fitzgerald of the future?

Brady (Elite)
Mahomes (Elite)
Brady (Elite)
Brady (Elite)
Brady (Elite)
Manning (See Flacco)

By definition if you win the SB you can be called “playing elite”.

I still can't fathom Belichick actually considered trading Brady in favor of this guy.
Did he? Hard to fathom a lot of things i.e. why the Chiefs threw away 3 points before HT last night. **** happens.

I still can't fathom Belichick actually considered trading Brady in favor of this guy.

worse yet, there are people here arguing as recently as 2021 that we should have kept jg over tb

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back