PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman fined $26k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that it was a cheap shot. He could have eased up but instead lowered his shoulder and slammed the guy. I thought the hit was with his shoulder into the center of the guy's chest.

Shoulder to chest is a perfectly LEGAL hit.. Especially when the guy is looking right at Edelman..How can it be a cheap shot?

Look again, number 62 pushed Arizona player in Edelman path. Edelman protected himself.

Sorry, but that's just BS. Edelman was looking to block #20 Buchanon the entire time. However, he hit Buchanon in the chest, not the helmet area AND Buchanon was looking right at Edelman when it happened.
Hence, Buchanon can not be considered a "defenseless player" which is what the Fine was for..

Look again, number 62 pushed Arizona player in Edelman path. Edelman protected himself.
How could he looked at buchanon, there was 22 in the way too. 22 stopped and 62 pushed. Maybe there is another angel on this. I am not defending Edelman, every hit in the head is bad, but i dont see this as intentional.

I love Jules.
I loved the hit and I am surprised he didn't get 15 yards for it...and the fine.
I agree with the fine. If we allow blindside blocks (the defender was not looking at Julian), then the defensive players are all open to getting hit. I don't need some Steelers WR taking out Jamie Collins on a 7yd rush by their RB.
...loved the aggressive hit, Jules!!
Its football. You should not have to ask permission to block someone. The ballcarrier was 5 feet away. Edelman did his job. Now we are going to start giving out penalties for defenders being unaware that they are on a football field and the opponents job is to block them?

Shoulder to chest is a perfectly LEGAL hit.. Especially when the guy is looking right at Edelman..How can it be a cheap shot?
I think it was a little higher than that DB. And I'm sure there were a number of similar plays that didn't draw fines last week. So, I'm OK with the fine for a hit to the head. But I am NOT OK with with description of it being a blindside hit, and I am DEFINITELY not OK with it him getting a higher fine than the criminals from Denver, who not only launched, but used the top of their helmets as weapons (spearing) as well. JE used a great throw back forearm flipper that made me proud

All in all just MORE proof that fairness, like integrity is a selective operation at 354 Park Ave

++

Fine-worthy? Yep. In the same category as Marshall's hit? Nope.
And as DaBruinz noted, not a blind-side hit:

View attachment 14058

The only reason the guy didn't absorb the hit better is that, until the frame above, his own teammate shielded him from seeing JE coming.

Are we sure it wasn't for hitting the NFL employee when he ran out of bounds? He did kinda lower a shoulder on the guy. I am wondering Reiss didn't get the whole story.

If there is anything remotely "fine-able" its that. He destroyed that guy.

I think he should have hit the guy lower, just like the hits on Newton. No reason to be headhunting there.

thee fine is ridiculous.

considering the others handed out.

No worries he can appeal and it will get reduced.....oh wait he's a Patriot so that fines not going anywhere!

He'll appeal and then Goodell will throw a new charge on and suspend him

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Edelman looks like he's launching because when he makes contact with the guy another cardinals defender pushes him, no?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Edelman looks like he's launching because when he makes contact with the guy another cardinals defender pushes him, no?

Nah, I don't see him get pushed at all until after he makes contact. It's a nasty hit in a nasty game. It probably deserves a fine, but only if the Broncos each get the worse treatment for their much more egregious hits. Not that this will happen, of course.

I think it was a little higher than that DB. And I'm sure there were a number of similar plays that didn't draw fines last week. So, I'm OK with the fine for a hit to the head. But I am NOT OK with with description of it being a blindside hit, and I am DEFINITELY not OK with it him getting a higher fine than the criminals from Denver, who not only launched, but used the top of their helmets as weapons (spearing) as well. JE used a great throw back forearm flipper that made me proud

All in all just MORE proof that fairness, like integrity is a selective operation at 354 Park Ave

++

Spot on.

People are being a homer if they don't think that contact was a little high. It was definitely at least in the neck area. It's close to a blindside hit but open to debate. He's hit him from the front in my view...not the side or from behind...so it's tough to call it a blindside hit (even if he was heading back towards our end line). Doesn't help himself with the way he launches thoug.

Personally though I've got no issue with the hit, but I see why the fine has been issues. There's no conspiracy here!!!

Love Jules, love the fire and intensity but in this case he left his feet and launched himself into that block. NFL gets a lot wrong but in this case they got it right. That was an unnecessary way to hit him and deserves a fine. Now as to the amount...less than the Broncos? That I do not agree with and smells like bias
If they're fining him more than Marshall for his hit on Newton, then yeah, they most certainly 'got it wrong'.

Look again, number 62 pushed Arizona player in Edelman path.
Thanks for the amazing video. I think #28 on AZ overran the play...and Jules had him lined up for 5-7 yards and launched himself at the guy. It's ok with me. Take fine for the aggressive, physical tone setting play. I know I just don't want it happening to our guys.

Here's the 18,000 fine hit from the Denver game on Newton. Yeah, I can see why Goodell fined the Squirrel 8 thousand MORE....yup...clear as day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe