PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Long-time fans, tell me why I ought to be excited about Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
My thread title is in no way facetious. I came in to football fandom and adopting Boston sports as my fanhood anchor in 2006. It was well into 2007 before I was learning all the players names and understanding the team's history, etc...

For those who've been watching since Branch was here (or longer), what can you tell me about him that makes you excited he's back?

I know the gist of what went down when he left, and I know he the MVP in one of the Superbowls, but that's about it. Hook a Canadian brother up with your memories?

Thanks guys.

J

Two reasons: He and Brady seemed to share a brain, and the bigger the game, the better he played.

If you like Zombie movies, you'll love Branch. Let me explain. When The Twig screwed the Pats and their oh-so-close 2006 season by refusing to play after he'd said he would honor his contract before the draft, he was Dead To Me. Now that the undead has returned, he's now The Zombie.

Because we are thin with veteran WRs, and he's always been Brady's binky.

Does tend to play better the bigger the game. Other then that, he is a typical primmadonna WR that thinks he's more integral to the teams success than he actually is. I'm hoping his little stint in SEA cured him of some of that though.

Aside from his money aspirations of the past ... he is a team player who along with Welker will be part of the solution for the most diverse offense possible with the players we have. some in this forum have ranted on O'Brien and lack of adjustments. Belichick is opening up the playbook and it's going to be exciting as long as our line stays healthy.

Last edited:
Because the chemistry between he and Brady had little to do with knees... He and Brady had a subliminal connection based on their ability to read defenses. Much like Welker and Brady quickly established. Knees don't impact that much...brains and determination and focus do. One of the reasons he couldn't match up with Hasselback in Seattle is they run a strictly timing offense, no brain involvement - all physical.

He just redid his contract...proving he wants to play here. Also he offers another option for Brady.

People are excited because Brady and Branch used to work VERY well together.

There are stories that Brady could see something in the defense pre-snap, glance at Branch without saying a word they both knew exactly what they'd be doing.

The first reason is that Branch is a winner. The bigger the game, the tougher the situation, the better he became. When the Patriots drove daggers, he was the guy doing the driving. If you can look up the 04' AFC championship game drive charts look at what Branch did to a 15-1 defense. He has Welker like footwork and the speed to play on the outside. He can run every single route, and run it damn well. He understands the option based passing game. He is a selfless, hard working, clutch player. He is a Patriot and they are in the process of getting back to building the team with Patriots. That's why you ought to be excited.

I take PWP's point.

The shenanigans associated with DB leaving New England were really bad -- and there was a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff that we won't know. In effect, Deion shot his way out of town (with some help, so far as we can tell, from Mangini and the Jets). Looking back though, I don't think that Deion is the sharpest tool on the bench and he did what a lot of these guys do -- left it all to his agent. He hoped that he would hold the Pats up for a lot of money or go to the Jets and ended in Seattle -- where, I imagine, he's been counting his money and regretting it ever since.

When he was here he was a shifty receiver with good hands -- not the greatest speed or great size, but brave and well able to get extra yards with good moves. He has had a ton of injuries in Seattle and I can't see how that wouldn't affect his game really seriously. On the other hand, two seasons ago, when the Patriots played in Seattle, the Seahawks were a terrible team but Deion had a terrific game, showing shiftiness and toughness. If he can repeat that on a regular basis, the Pats will have made a really good acquisition.

My expectation? He won't replace Moss in our hearts but > Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth, Joey Galloway? I certainly hope so!

JSN - Chris Price kindly posted a link to that 60 Minutes piece on the Brady to Branch connection. Watch it.

It Is What It Is Video: Remembering the communication between Brady and Branch

I was going to mention that video before I saw that you uploaded it. That 60 minutes segment is all the reason you need to be excited.

Branch has probably lost some of the quickness that made him a great Patriot. Surely he will not be the dynamic receiving threat that he was from '03 - '05, but he has soft hands (zero drops in 2004, IIRC) and is always in the right place at the right time.

BB wanted him back. TFB wanted him back. That does it for me.

In the 2006 AFC Championship game, the Pats needed to convert a 3rd & 4 to put the game away with a couple of minutes left. A pass intended for Troy Brown was incomplete.

Branch should have been there, but what's past is past. But if the Pats find themselves needing a key conversion late in the season or the playoffs, we'll all be glad Branch is on the field.

Last edited:
I'd be excited because we can now combine the best traits of the Super Bowl offenses with better and more explosive weapons.

This offense will not be as explosive or flashy. This offense can be just as prolific.

Branch just needs to do his job.

The first reason is that Branch is a winner. The bigger the game, the tougher the situation, the better he became. When the Patriots drove daggers, he was the guy doing the driving. If you can look up the 04' AFC championship game drive charts look at what Branch did to a 15-1 defense. He has Welker like footwork and the speed to play on the outside. He can run every single route, and run it damn well. He understands the option based passing game. He is a selfless, hard working, clutch player. He is a Patriot and they are in the process of getting back to building the team with Patriots. That's why you ought to be excited.

I respectfully disagree, there is no such thing as an individual being a "winner", else Brady would have won in 05, 06, 07, and/or 09. Branch would have won in Seattle. Manning wouldn't have won ;).

It's also a bit revisionist to say he came up big when it mattered most. In 2004 the bruising Corey Dillon, that of a 4.7 YPC on the season was held to 3.0 YPC by that Steelers defense. Only the Jets in week 16 came close to limiting Dillon as much.

Now Deion Branch was a very good receiver for us, he is coachable and works hard. His big playoff games are a case of preparation meeting opportunity, not an innate ability to increase his skill level because the game mattered 'more'. The Steelers game didn't matter more than the Titans game in 2003, that the defense played well and the Titans bobbled an open pass late in the game that would have put them in position to at least tie. The Indy game the week before was equally as important as the Steelers game, and in that Indy game the offense struggled for 35 minutes. They had ONE drive that lasted more than 2:00 of their first 6 drives. They punted 4 times and took 2 FGs, only one drive was long and that ended in a FG. It was only 6-3 with 10:00 to go in the 3rd quarter. Thankfully the defense played great all game, but Branch was certainly "needed" during that game. Just because we won other ways doesn't mean he wasn't "needed" or the game meant any less. Without the defense playing great and Dillon's big 2nd half Branch's opportunities don't exist and history looks different.

He was a very good receiver that Brady had a high amount of trust in, and as long as his knees hold up I'm sure they will get in sync quickly and he'll be able to contribute quicker than any other receiver we could have gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe