PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Through 2 Games (2021 vs 2022 vs 2023) By QTR and Redzone Totals

If only Mac could deliver in the 1st and 3rd qtrs when defenses aren't in bend mode.
I sort of look at it as, they're going to figure that out since those quarters tend to be scripted. If they do, O'Brien has already done a good job adjusting to whatever the defense is giving them, because based on the numbers, the production has been there. So there's at least a reason to be hopeful.

Again, how is it his fault for the Booty non-toe tap and the 4th down call reversal. There have been other losses caused by last minute fumbles by RB's or even laterals to nowhere.

Pinning every single close loss on Mac is extremely unfair at best.
At some point you have to overcome and win those games if you want to be considered elite. You're not going to win all of them obviously, but only 1 Game winning drive vs the Texans is all he's had so far

Amazing how much polarization there is in these discussions. You're either a hater or a fanatic. Not much space for nuance. I can see elements of either side, but the reality is more mixed.

It would be nice if we could agree that Mac has room to grow, but is clearly off to a better start than previous years. How different the narrative might look if not for some drops! I don't think he's ever going to be a top five quarterback, but depending on how the league looks year to year, top ten is doable. At the very least, we can win with him. Yes, our comebacks have come up just short, and that needs to change, but I don't pin them 100% on Mac. Is he culpable? Sure. Is it entirely his fault? No. We need to stop the turnovers and sloppy play. Get that sorted out, and I think Mac puts together a nice season, potentially bordering on pro bowl level.

Biggest issues I still see: he will take some bad sacks when he needs to get rid of the ball, and sometimes he isn't as careful with his passes as he could be. Cutting down on those errors, plus hanging on to the ball when the receivers have a shot at making a play--like Bourne down the sidelines; I don't care if Apple grabbed his other arm, gotta make that catch--should translate into wins soon.

Posted this a few minutes ago on Twitter and figured I'd share it here:

Mac Jones Through 2 Games (2021 vs 2022 vs 2023)
Totals (By QTR)
and RedZone)

2021:
Total: 51/69 (73.9%) 467yds 1 TD
Q1: 14/15 (93.3%) 106yds
Q2: 17/25 (68%) 169yds 1TD
Q3: 10/14 (71.4%) 138yds
Q4: 10/15 (66.7%) 54yds
Redzone 3/6 (50%) 13yds 1TD

2022: Total: 42/65 (64.6%) 465yds 2TDs 2INTs
Q1: 11/16 (68.8%) 102yds 2 INTs
Q2: 8/13 (61.5%) 128yds 1 TD
Q3: 14/19 (73.7%) 123yds 1TD
Q4: 9/17 (52.9%) 112yds
Redzone 3/5 (60%) 13yds 1TD

2023: Total: 66/96 (68.8%) 547yds 4TDs 2INTs
Q1: 11/16 (68.8%) 67yds 1 INT
Q2: 20/26 (76.9%) 170yds 2 TDs
Q3: 10/16 (62.5%) 68yds 1 INT
Q4: 25/38 (65.8%) 242yds 2 TDs
Redzone: 5/7 (71.4%) 56yds 4TDs

He's actually off to his best start in his three seasons, statistically.

the highlighted stuff above tells some issues:

First quarter:
Mac throws the same amount of passes than 21 and 22 but with less success. This tells me other defenses game-planned well for our offense and Q1 is short passing game at best.

Third Quarter: 23 stats of passes thrown are in the middle, completions are worse than 21 and 22. Again--> Defense did halftime adjustments--> no answer

Q4: here we actually see a much higher number than in 22 and 21 but if you look at how the games went in thr 23 season so far all fans should know that these high passing yards numbers from 23 are only coming due to the pats were in behind and had to score fast.

So actually these stats, except RZ, indicate no improvement

Don't make the mistake and look at the overall numbers. If you take out the inflationed passing yards in the fourth quarter because we had to open up the playbook, get plays out fast and throw a lot because we were playing from behind, then it's not looking better

Of course drops, time to throw, o-line issues etc. aren't integrated here...so take that only as an interpretation of what just the pure numbers above are saying

Yeah he's one of them. I still wonder how much staying power the Kermits or Allens will have with their playing style....
Kermit will be fine as long as Reid is around
Allen is a different story I truly think he doesn't care and believes he can complete any throw lol

At some point you have to overcome and win those games if you want to be considered elite. You're not going to win all of them obviously, but only 1 Game winning drive vs the Texans is all he's had so far
Mac's never going to be elite. I don't expect him to be elite. I'm sure if you asked BB the same question on truth serum he'd say the sane thing.

You don't need to be elite to win or even be successful in this league. What Mac needs is elite talent around him. The days of out scheming the other team on offense...well, they're not gone exactly but they are on the wane, big time.

It is quickly becoming discussing Mac Jones is like arguing politics. The partisanship on him is just as bad it is Republican vs. Democrat. And extreme views seem to squash any actual debate. Any debate is a point of futile "shouting" at one another. I admit I am a part of it.

I will stick by my long standing view. We still don't know what we have in the guy. He has shown he has the potential to be an above average QB or even be a top 10 QB with the right pieces around him. But unfortunately, Belichick refuses to put him in position to succeed.

Until they get the o-line fixed, we are never going to know what he is because it is god awful. Because of the o-line, they aren't running the play action at all and whenever Mac is under center, defenses know it is a running play. They cannot allow Mac to turn his back to the defense because the o-line let too many free rushers through. They don't have time to allow plays to develop down field and they don't had fast receivers. How can you judge a QB when you are forced to throw a lot of quick screens because you don't trust the o-line to hold up for much more than two seconds.

Mac's never going to be elite. I don't expect him to be elite. I'm sure if you asked BB the same question on truth serum he'd say the sane thing.

You don't need to be elite to win or even be successful in this league. What Mac needs is elite talent around him. The days of out scheming the other team on offense...well, they're not gone exactly but they are on the wane, big time.
If he needs elite talent than we have to do what the Rams did and go all in for one Super Bowl. I don't think any of us want that. I would rather draft another QB this year and continue the search for an elite QB.

the highlighted stuff above tells some issues:

First quarter:
Mac throws the same amount of passes than 21 and 22 but with less success. This tells me other defenses game-planned well for our offense and Q1 is short passing game at best.

Third Quarter: 23 stats of passes thrown are in the middle, completions are worse than 21 and 22. Again--> Defense did halftime adjustments--> no answer

Q4: here we actually see a much higher number than in 22 and 21 but if you look at how the games went in thr 23 season so far all fans should know that these high passing yards numbers from 23 are only coming due to the pats were in behind and had to score fast.

So actually these stats, except RZ, indicate no improvement

Don't make the mistake and look at the overall numbers. If you take out the inflationed passing yards in the fourth quarter because we had to open up the playbook, get plays out fast and throw a lot because we were playing from behind, then it's not looking better

Of course drops, time to throw, o-line issues etc. aren't integrated here...so take that only as an interpretation of what just the pure numbers above are saying
I don't think you can try to filter out by quarters without putting into perspective the fact that the offensive line is playing it's worst phase in first 2-3 quarters.

So there are lots of parameters and permutations to this.

If we are looking to pin point blame there are multiple reasons before we come to Mac.

Mac right now is playing like a top 10-12 QB and we should be elated with it. If he were playing at last year's level with this offensive line we should have been losing by 3 scores each game.

Get him 1 or 2 playmakers on offense and a decent line, we could be singing a different tune.

I believe this week we could see our offensive line picking up the tempo. They have been much maligned and hopefully their bounce back starts this week.

Onwenu and strange looked rusty and the line looked in shambles the second game than the first one. With 1 additional week I hope strange and Onwenu can return to form and Andrews also limits the mistakes . Brown hopefully starts playing significantly better with the revised contract.

He is the most pressured QB because that is the book on Jones. Rattle him.

Nothing is going to change unless Defenses fear the Pats throwing deep.

Stop the NE run game and force Jones to beat you. Simple formula to win.

Have you been watching this year? Teams would love, absolutely love, the Pats to run the ball right now. Stevenson has 2.8 YPC. Elliot has 3.5 YPC. Currently, the Patriots are 26th in rushing yards and 21st in YPC. The Pats are currently 7th in passing yards and 11th in completion percentage. Right now the team's "strength" is in the passing game, not the running game.

If he needs elite talent than we have to do what the Rams did and go all in for one Super Bowl. I don't think any of us want that. I would rather draft another QB this year and continue the search for an elite QB.
We got Josh Allen, mahomes and burrow so far in last 7 years and only mahomes has won a super bowl and they had Kelce . Herbert yet to show anything in postseason. Hurts had a loaded team which will be shredded in next 2 seasons, so pretty small window.

Do you want to keep playing the carousel ? Nick foles, Stafford , below par manning won Superbowls outside of Brady and mahomes in last 10 years. And I think Mac can take the avatar of one of the above 4 and help get us with a fighting chance for a Superbowl ring while allowing us to remain competitive every season. All we need is for our talent to be slightly better on offensive side .

We just need Mac to put the Team on his back and pull a game out. That could become contagious let's hope it starts on Sunday. There no doubt he has improve some but there's room to get even better.

It might take decades for them to hit on another elite QB. There are formerly successful franchises still out there looking 20 sometimes 30 years for the next guy.

People are already in "I don't care! I can't stand it!" mode now. Imagine how it will be when the Pats are less than mediocre and still looking for the next Brady.

It is quickly becoming discussing Mac Jones is like arguing politics. The partisanship on him is just as bad it is Republican vs. Democrat. And extreme views seem to squash any actual debate. Any debate is a point of futile "shouting" at one another. I admit I am a part of it.

I will stick by my long standing view. We still don't know what we have in the guy. He has shown he has the potential to be an above average QB or even be a top 10 QB with the right pieces around him. But unfortunately, Belichick refuses to put him in position to succeed.

Until they get the o-line fixed, we are never going to know what he is because it is god awful. Because of the o-line, they aren't running the play action at all and whenever Mac is under center, defenses know it is a running play. They cannot allow Mac to turn his back to the defense because the o-line let too many free rushers through. They don't have time to allow plays to develop down field and they don't had fast receivers. How can you judge a QB when you are forced to throw a lot of quick screens because you don't trust the o-line to hold up for much more than two seconds.
Is there really an "extreme" pro-Mac point of view? I don't see anyone here or on twitter saying Mac Jones is amazing and is bound for the HOF. I think even the most "pro Mac" viewpoint understands his limitations and want to see the season play out and then hopefully the team can assess whether he might be the guy or if they should look elsewhere.

The anti Mac viewpoint that I've seen seems to be one of these three viewpoints.
A) He's not a guy you can win with in today's NFL.
B) He's not Brady.
C) I'm mad and triggered because I just know Bailey Zappe is awesome why don't the Patriots realize that!?!?

A is a fair point, maybe he isn't. I'd love to see him carry a team to a win and he hasn't really done that yet. That's why this year is a big year for him. And there are also no guarantees the next guy is better. Welcome to QB purgatory, this is life for teams without a franchise QB. Finding the guy is really hard.
B - then I don't think they'll like any QB because nobody will ever be Brady
C- LOL

Your strategy may take us 30 years. Literally. I don't know if I am willing to take 30 years of mediocrity and being the Bills the decades between John Kelly and Josh Allen.

I personally would rather go the Rams' strategy of all in for one Super Bowl than keep on going on an endless revolving door of QBs until we find an elite one.

People act like it is easy to find another elite QB in the draft. It isn't. During the Brady era, the Pats benefitted greatly from being in a division where the other three teams were doing the revolving door of QBs in hopes to find the elite QB. How many first round picks have the Jets and Bills wasted on QBs until the Jets quit and traded for Rodgers and the Bills got Allen?

Last edited:
That may take a very long time. Are we fans ok with that?

I don't think you can try to filter out by quarters without putting into perspective the fact that the offensive line is playing it's worst phase in first 2-3 quarters.

So there are lots of parameters and permutations to this.

If we are looking to pin point blame there are multiple reasons before we come to Mac.

Mac right now is playing like a top 10-12 QB and we should be elated with it. If he were playing at last year's level with this offensive line we should have been losing by 3 scores each game.

Get him 1 or 2 playmakers on offense and a decent line, we could be singing a different tune.

I believe this week we could see our offensive line picking up the tempo. They have been much maligned and hopefully their bounce back starts this week.

Onwenu and strange looked rusty and the line looked in shambles the second game than the first one. With 1 additional week I hope strange and Onwenu can return to form and Andrews also limits the mistakes . Brown hopefully starts playing significantly better with the revised contract.
i doubt the jets d-line will be the bounce back game for our o.line but obv i would be really happy if it is.

Is there really an "extreme" pro-Mac point of view? I don't see anyone here or on twitter saying Mac Jones is amazing and is bound for the HOF. I think even the most "pro Mac" viewpoint understands his limitations and want to see the season play out and then hopefully the team can assess whether he might be the guy or if they should look elsewhere.

The anti Mac viewpoint that I've seen seems to be one of these three viewpoints.
A) He's not a guy you can win with in today's NFL.
B) He's not Brady.
C) I'm mad and triggered because I just know Bailey Zappe is awesome why don't the Patriots realize that!?!?

A is a fair point, maybe he isn't. I'd love to see him carry a team to a win and he hasn't really done that yet. That's why this year is a big year for him. And there are also no guarantees the next guy is better. Welcome to QB purgatory, this is life for teams without a franchise QB.
B - then I don't think they'll like any QB because nobody will ever be Brady
C- LOL

I guess there isn't an extreme pro point of view on Mac, but there has been some extreme arguments to defend some of his failings. No one thinks he is a HOF, but people will go to extremes to defend an INT he made.

In most arguments of extremes, both sides are rarely equal in how extreme they go.

I guess there isn't an extreme point of view on Mac, but there has been some extreme arguments to defend some of his failings. No one thinks he is a HOF, but people will go to extremes to defend an INT he made.

In most arguments of extremes, both sides are rarely equal in how extreme they go.
I think anyone can look at any interception around the league and defend or blame the QB or anyone else involved on that play depending on your own bias or agenda.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back