PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well deserved Malcolm, I'm sorry you had to watch the SB on the sidelines, we all are...All the Best to you going forward, thank you for Everything you gave us, it will never, ever be forgotten...

Won't be seeing the same number of people talking about what an idiot his agent is this offseason like we did last offseason....

I told you so is such an ugly phrase, but it is well deserved to the people who argued the point with me last year. Right @DarrylS ?

FWIW, I believe he fired the idiot agent and hired a new one.

The restraint in signing UFAs is important part of BB's amazing football economy. I was just thinking today how much you gain that way (bc you always do)..

Just this latest example: trade for Shelton instead of going for f.e. Poe brought him top DT for 2M + 7M (option) = 4.5M apy instead of 10M+ apy and in addition brought him a 2018 5th rounder (while the 2019 3rd rounder is reinstated).

I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that Shelton is a top DT. It's fine to hope and all, but he hasn't been that to date.

This is the right position on Butler.

He gave us the play of the decade against the Seahawks, and then he gave us 2 great years and another good one. That's a lot of value for an UDFA who no one else wanted. BUT he wasn't worth near what he got from the Titans, though on a lot of levels I couldn't be happier that he got paid, just not on the GM level.

I am really confident that we can get the same production we got from Malcolm from some combination of JJones, Rowe, and dare I say CJones. Personally, I think the Pats will be fine at CB even if they don't draft one high. I think that we'd be better off drafting a LB/DE/hybrid at #31 if one is worth that high a pick is available. But that's just me.

The good news is that we should get at least 2 comp pick in 2019 from moving on from Butler and DA. I don't see the Pats making any high-end FA moves this spring. We need those picks next year, since we only have 4 or 5 of our own draft picks in 19.

I can see the Pats allowing Nate to see what's out there like we did with Hightower; but I hope he'll give the Pats a chance to match it. I'm not looking for 3 high comp picks next year. ;)

Nice post. Having McCourty and Harmon out there will boost the production of any CB. I don’t see a drastic dropoff from Butler ($12M) to Rowe (cheap) or Jones (cheap). Best to look at other positions to upgrade.

Good for him. He got the big payday he desired. Hope he keeps playing with intensity now that the payday incentive is gone.

Curious if BB or Patricia said anything to Vrabel regarding the SB benching during his due diligence. Also curious if the full story of that now comes out.

Regards,
Chris

Thank you MB for everything and certainly for Super Bowl XLIX.

I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that Shelton is a top DT. It's fine to hope and all, but he hasn't been that to date.

He has been dissapointing and some have been hyping him here. We will see if bill can get the best out of Shelton. Still could use another body upfront.

No, you would just complain when he didn’t.

It’s a shame that every thread in this forum is essentially turning into the game day threads, where all people do is cry, whine, and ***** at every move.

No because I rather him take a LB. BB's a great coach but it doesn't mean he can't make mistakes and he did with the butler move.

I . . . I honestly don't understand you. Your takes are something else.

Alexander, Hughes, Davis, Oliver -- any of them could legitimately be worth the pick at #31. How is that a waste, if we get a high level starting cornerback across from Gilmore?

Because this team has a pressing need for a LB and maybe a pass rusher. Hughes could be there at 43

BB has his few blue-chippers, but doesn't have the draft capital to back-fill (no high 1st round picks). So he plays tier 2.

Think of it this way: in a big fantasy MMO, the new "best" sword will cost you many times what the old "best" sword would cost, and the old one is maybe 1-3% weaker.

BB buys old swords.

Nerd

Good for him. He got the big payday he desired. Hope he keeps playing with intensity now that the payday incentive is gone.

Curious if BB or Patricia said anything to Vrabel regarding the SB benching during his due diligence. Also curious if the full story of that now comes out.

Regards,
Chris
To me the most likely story is pretty clear.
Butler was delayed getting to the SB because he was sick. He struggled all week in practice including “getting” the game plan. His pkay throughout the season was mediocre and Rowe after coming back from injury was pushing him for the job.
After a very difficult week B.B. decided Rowe moved ahead of butler and Rowe THAT WEEK with everything considered gave them a better chance to win. The game plan called for big nickel and dime (which is logical based upon the opponent) so the role for cb3 was going to be limited.
When butler was informed of this he melted down (we all saw it on tv) and the coach decided he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to be out on the field.
No conspiracy theory, no butler was a dlck, no grudges or retaliation or anything like that. No hard feelings. Just a player having a bad week and a game day melt down. I would assume B.B. spoke to vrabel and Robinson explained what happened that week, reported butlers overall attitude and work ethic for 4 years and recommended him.

To me the most likely story is pretty clear.
Butler was delayed getting to the SB because he was sick. He struggled all week in practice including “getting” the game plan. His pkay throughout the season was mediocre and Rowe after coming back from injury was pushing him for the job.
After a very difficult week B.B. decided Rowe moved ahead of butler and Rowe THAT WEEK with everything considered gave them a better chance to win. The game plan called for big nickel and dime (which is logical based upon the opponent) so the role for cb3 was going to be limited.
When butler was informed of this he melted down (we all saw it on tv) and the coach decided he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to be out on the field.
No conspiracy theory, no butler was a dlck, no grudges or retaliation or anything like that. No hard feelings. Just a player having a bad week and a game day melt down. I would assume B.B. spoke to vrabel and Robinson explained what happened that week, reported butlers overall attitude and work ethic for 4 years and recommended him.

Who gives a crap. He could have put him in any time when he was on the bench. They needed a big play and the secondary wasn't cutting it.

So... the most expensive free agent cornerback by far was not good enough for Belichick to play in the superbowl - that must be him playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. I will never get over that fiasco.
Very happy for Butler, he will always be a hero to all Patriots fans. Congrats!

I like Rowe better than most here. There are so many big WRs these days. With 2 tall WR, we can still develop or acquire one or more shorter CBs at reasonable money.Sure wouldn't want to have to justify what Tennessee paid for 2 decent, but limited corners.

well when we play the steelers next season and antonio puts up 4 tds on rowe, we can look back and talk about what a turd butler was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents