PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If belichick felt Butler wasn’t prepared to play why would he all if a sudden think that changed at half time?
There is literally no logic that says you decide the best lineup for your team is to place butler as the last corner and them for no real reason just change your mind.
If that was how B.B. operated we would have zero rings.
Because a not entirely locked in Butler is better than Bademosi and Richards occupying spots on the defense over him, especially when they are getting their ass kicked.

Can't see how anyone objectively thinks benching Butler the entire game could have been the right football decision.

Actually he said the way the patriots prepare they want you to be locked in and he admits he wasn’t.
Thanks for the clarification.

So I guess fans on this board believe after 18 years BB should do a 180 put players in the Super Bowl who aren't prepared.

Because a not entirely locked in Butler is better than Bademosi and Richards occupying spots on the defense over him, especially when they are getting their ass kicked.

Can't see how anyone objectively thinks benching Butler the entire game could have been the right football decision.

Basically you are saying you know more about a player being prepared to play a football game than a 5 time Super Bowl winning coach.

Gotcha.

Thanks for the clarification.

So I guess fans on this board believe after 18 years BB should do a 180 put players in the Super Bowl who aren't prepared.

The only way Butler wouldn't have been prepared is if the defense they fielded was one in which he had zero experience in. That didn't happen.

accusing butler of being an alcoholic without any evidence? thats pretty low

Well, Butler's been accused of a lot of things in this thread. It's ranged from assaulting a coach to a guy twisted on drugs to now not prepared. And in spite of all of that, close BB friend and ex-player Mike Vrabel was absolutely fine with bringing him in. Go figure.

The only way Butler wouldn't have been prepared is if the defense they fielded was one in which he had zero experience in. That didn't happen.
Knowing how to do a job is not the same thing as being in a position (physically) to do it.

Lets say Malcolm was still weakened by the flu. BB didnt think he could help the team in the game.

Lets end it there.

Malcolm said he wasn't prepared like he normally was and not locked in.

Please explain how that is speculative.
You’ve criticized others for being “clairvoyant,” are those words from Belichick?

Not to mention how catastrophically stupid the idea is. “Well, he’s played 98% of the snaps all year, and his replacements suck and will throw the defense out of whack, but golly, he’s just not 100% locked in. Shaq Mason is 92% locked in, I guess that’ll do. Van Noy’s 88% locked in, ok. Uh oh, Malcolm’s only 77% locked in, better not play him. Better to get crushed using the locked in crew.” The mind reels.

You’ve criticized others for being “clairvoyant,” are those words from Belichick?

Not to mention how catastrophically stupid the idea is. “Well, he’s played 98% of the snaps all year, and his replacements suck and will throw the defense out of whack, but golly, he’s just not 100% locked in. Shaq Mason is 92% locked in, I guess that’ll do. Van Noy’s 88% locked in, ok. Uh oh, Malcolm’s only 77% locked in, better not play him. Better to get crushed using the locked in crew.” The mind reels.

Where the hell is this coming from?

BB has had the same standard for 18 years. If a player practices well, knows and is healthy enough to carry out their assignments then they play.

Clearly BB didn't think Malcolm had reached that standard so he sat. You can disagree with it all you want but that is what exactly happened.

And yes, I have criticized them because it drives me nuts these fans automatically have three beliefs based on the assumption Malcolm was 100% ready to go, "locked in" and healthy.

1) If Malcolm played they would have won
2) Malcolm was ready to go and BB should have put him in.
3) BB cost the Patriots the Super Bowl.

None of those assumptions is fact but yet the "Kill BB" crowd is all over this thread stating it as a truth when it is not.

Knowing how to do a job is not the same thing as being in a position (physically) to do it.

Lets say Malcolm was still weakened by the flu. BB didnt think he could help the team in the game.

Lets end it there.
You act like guys have never missed practice due to injury or illness then went on to play that Sunday.

You act like guys have never missed practice due to injury or illness then went on to play that Sunday.

No! I'm fully aware players who are limited all week are activated on Sunday and players who are limited during the week are ruled out. Happens all the time.

There are also situations when a player is limited all week, dress and do not play.

Where the hell is this coming from?

BB has had the same standard for 18 years. If a player practices well, knows and is healthy enough to carry out their assignments then they play.

Clearly BB didn't think Malcolm had reached that standard so he sat. You can disagree with it all you want but that is what exactly happened.

And yes, I have criticized them because it drives me nuts these fans automatically have three beliefs based on the assumption Malcolm was 100% ready to go, "locked in" and healthy.

1) If Malcolm played they would have won
2) Malcolm was ready to go and BB should have put him in.
3) BB cost the Patriots the Super Bowl.

None of those assumptions is fact but yet the "Kill BB" crowd is all over this thread stating it as a truth when it is not.
It's coming from you clinging to manifestly foolish ideas, like Bill Belichick for 18 years has benched players for the Super Bowl who had played 98% of the snaps. What are facts is that the Patriots were slaughtered in the Super Bowl not using their best players, never changed course, and they lost.

You seem to think the point is that Belichick had REASONS to do what he did. Obviously. So did Grady Little. Every bad decision in history had reasons. What you can't seem to admit is that NONE of the reasons in the excuse stew justifies the decision not to course correct when things were going so catastrophically wrong.

Last edited:
My uncle's friend's sister is a policeman in Minneapolis, and he was called to Butler's hotel room two days before the Super Bowl. Apparently what they found there was "shocking", and I'm hesitating whether or not I should post this image on this message board. If you find it offensive, I'll be happy to remove it...I'm at least going to put it way down in this post, so that people who are sensitive to graphic images don't need to see it (image below):

51jxp3VLPiL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bill Belichick felt that it was .
Bill Belichick knows what happened all season and in the week leading up to the game and on game day.
You seem to want me to believe either belichick doesn’t care about winning as much as you or that you ar more capable of knowing who to play from your living room than he is. I find either ridiculous.

It's coming from you clinging to manifestly foolish ideas, like Bill Belichick for 18 years has benched players for the Super Bowl who had played 98% of the snaps. What are facts is that the Patriots were slaughtered in the Super Bowl not using their best players, never changed course, and they lost.

The lost by 8 and were winning with 2min in the game. That is not slaughtered but keep on exaggerating.

You seem to think the point is that Belichick had REASONS to do what he did. Obviously. So did Grady Little. Every bad decision in history had reasons. What you can't seem to admit is that NONE of the reasons in the excuse stew justifies the decision not to course correct when things were going so catastrophically wrong.

Uh...BB has a track record of championships and brilliance. Grady Little has a track record of well, nothing.

Yes as I've been saying for the past 3 months I am convinced he used sound judgement and logic in making his decision. Doesn't make it right but to conclude he just willy-nilly decided to sit Malcolm is moronic.

The lost by 8 and were winning with 2min in the game. That is not slaughtered but keep on exaggerating.

Uh...BB has a track record of championships and brilliance. Grady Little has a track record of well, nothing.

Yes as I've been saying for the past 3 months I am convinced he used sound judgement and logic in making his decision. Doesn't make it right but to conclude he just willy-nilly decided to sit Malcolm is moronic.
Right, thank you. The DEFENSE was slaughtered. Pretty sure you knew that though and were just being petty.

You’re the one who keeps bringing up the “willy nilly” thing. You think that if Belichick made a decision it has to be by using “sound judgment” because of who he is. Unfortunately, history is full of examples of great men making bad decisions that show anything but sound judgement.

Belichick made the worst coaching decision of his career and it not only cost us a Super Bowl but may have led directly to the team falling apart. Good job Bill. As.shole.

Right, thank you. The DEFENSE was slaughtered. Pretty sure you knew that though and were just being petty.

You’re the one who keeps bringing up the “willy nilly” thing. You think that if Belichick made a decision it has to be by using “sound judgment” because of who he is. Unfortunately, history is full of examples of great men making bad decisions that show anything but sound judgement.
You said they were slaughtered.

EXACTLY. Bill absolutely, unequivocally gets the benefit of the doubt for using sound judgement in benching Malcolm. Doesnt mean he was right but it does mean it was well thought out. Thats the part that you don't agree with which is why i say willy -nilly.

It was a decision that has no excuses or valid reason and ultimately cost us our 6th Ring and you wonder why DA spoke out or why TB and Gronk act to speak out...Enough of the BB arse-kissing his arrogance cost us dearly...Imagine how many other current players are thinking and feeling the same thing but are afraid to speak up because they are currently on the roster...We love you Malcolm, you won this coach a Title with your historic interception and this is how he pays you back? This is Garbage BB...The players finally have spoken, esp the two Top Dogs...The others can't speak because they are currently on the roster. Their hands are tied...

Belichick made the worst coaching decision of his career and it not only cost us a Super Bowl but may have led directly to the team falling apart. Good job Bill. As.shole.

I think it's fair to say that the publicly known facts don't paint a good picture of BB's decision making. I think it's 100% fair to base our opinions on those publicly known facts, largely because BB deliberately hides everything he can and forces us to guess at almost everything.

I also think that we (all involved in these discussions) have to acknowledge that we are operating with insufficient information, to remind ourselves of that occasionally, and to be open to changing our positions when new information comes to light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents