PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malik Cunningham = QB1

I would:

1) Move on from McSorley once he is no longer needed to toss balls around in practice, which may be like tomorrow. If you feel bad about it, ring him up about an umbrella policy.

2) See if anybody'll give you something for Zappe. He's a perfectly serviceable backup with little to no discernible upside and thus no prospect ever of starting, so you might get a minimal something-or-other for him. In all likelihood, though, you won't be offered much, in which case you waive him and, if he passes through, put him on your practice quad as a backup to the backup. If somebody does take him off the wire, find some serviceable old utility qb and put him on the practice squad as your backup's backup. They're out there. I'd rather have Zappe, who is familiar with the system, than the crusty old vet, but there is tight limit on what resources I'd be willing to sacrifice to accomplish that.

3) Make Cunningham the backup for two reasons: First, he really does have some very intriguing upside. He's athletic, he's tough, he seems like a worker, his teammates seem to respect him, and he's not as dismal a passer as the pontificating gossip would have it (though no one would say, as Bill often does of all sorts of qb's, "He can make all the throws." He can't, yet.) It's reasonable to think he can develop in an acceptable time frame into a passable backup for this season. In the meantime, his versatility (which FAR surpasses Zappe's, certainly) further enhances his value. The second point is that particularly given that we are far earlier in the rebuild than we sometimes like to think, we need any number of players on the roster with upside, players who it seems might really develop. We seem to have adopted this approach to an extent in our draft philosophy, but that doesn't mean a thing if you do not have the Moxie to keep those players so that they can develop. If we were putting the finishing touches on a really competitive team to ensure it's success, that would be one thing: the reliably mediocre Zappe would then be the choice, and you would just take a flyer at trying to get Cunningham onto your practice squad. But that's not where we are, we are a mediocre team with serious shortcomings in a number of areas, shortcomings very unlikely to get addressed this year, frankly. We are likely the weakest team in our division. Such teams cannot afford to set aside players - at whatever position - with the sort of upside anyone with eyes can see in Malik Cunningham, certainly not so that we can hold on to a fine but limited fella like Zappe. The fever has broken and the bell has tolled on Zappe Hour. So it goes.
I'm with you partially. Let's watch preseason game 2 shall we? I think Bill is going to try him in the second half earlier and see what he looks like. The pressure will be on this kid and Greenbay will gameplan him a little.

Agree that Zappes upside seems limited based on week 1.
Let’s get thru the preseason before we determine that he is a acceptable loss to send to waivers to try to sneak to the PS.

However watching a few other preseason games I saw second and third string QBs that looked better and offered more upside than Zappe.

For instance Davis Mills, I wonder with a open competition with Mac who would come out on top.

Zappes strongest skill seems to be his calm patient demeanor his biggest weakness is arm strength limited mobility:

Now Bill used a valuable pick on Bailey Zappe when he could of gotten someone surpassing his physical gifts anywhere in the draft.

So he was drafted for his big beautiful brain how valuable is that brain when it’s comforting s pop gun arm on a below average height QB with no mobility is a decision only our great GM can make.

I'm with you partially. Let's watch preseason game 2 shall we? I think Bill is going to try him in the second half earlier and see what he looks like. The pressure will be on this kid and Greenbay will gameplan him a little.
Yep, we can wait and should, but is Zappe really likely to show us more than he already has? Is there any real likelihood that Malik has maxed out already on his development? I don't think so. To put it simply, both Zappe and Malik are, differences in tenure notwithstanding, prospects still at this point. The likelihood that prospect Zappe will ever catch up with prospect Cunningham seems nil, whereas the hope that Cunningham can become a very serviceable backup in quite short order seems to me a very reasonable hope.

Last edited:
I would:

1) Move on from McSorley once he is no longer needed to toss balls around in practice, which may be like tomorrow. If you feel bad about it, ring him up about an umbrella policy.

2) See if anybody'll give you something for Zappe. He's a perfectly serviceable backup with little to no discernible upside and thus no prospect ever of starting, so you might get a minimal something-or-other for him. In all likelihood, though, you won't be offered much, in which case you waive him and, if he passes through, put him on your practice quad as a backup to the backup. If somebody does take him off the wire, find some serviceable old utility qb and put him on the practice squad as your backup's backup. They're out there. I'd rather have Zappe, who is familiar with the system, than the crusty old vet, but there is tight limit on what resources I'd be willing to sacrifice to accomplish that.

3) Make Cunningham the backup for two reasons: First, he really does have some very intriguing upside. He's athletic, he's tough, he seems like a worker, his teammates seem to respect him, and he's not as dismal a passer as the pontificating gossip would have it (though no one would say, as Bill often does of all sorts of qb's, "He can make all the throws." He can't, yet.) It's reasonable to think he can develop in an acceptable time frame into a passable backup for this season. In the meantime, his versatility (which FAR surpasses Zappe's, certainly) further enhances his value. The second point is that particularly given that we are far earlier in the rebuild than we sometimes like to think, we need any number of players on the roster with upside, players who it seems might really develop. We seem to have adopted this approach to an extent in our draft philosophy, but that doesn't mean a thing if you do not have the Moxie to keep those players so that they can develop. If we were putting the finishing touches on a really competitive team to ensure it's success, that would be one thing: the reliably mediocre Zappe would then be the choice, and you would just take a flyer at trying to get Cunningham onto your practice squad. But that's not where we are, we are a mediocre team with serious shortcomings in a number of areas, shortcomings very unlikely to get addressed this year, frankly. We are likely the weakest team in our division. Such teams cannot afford to set aside players - at whatever position - with the sort of upside anyone with eyes can see in Malik Cunningham, certainly not so that we can hold on to a fine but limited fella like Zappe. The fever has broken and the bell has tolled on Zappe Hour. So it goes.

From this point forward, I want to see any snaps Cunningham receives to be at QB and not WR; and I want to see him receive as many snaps, both during scrimmages & in games, as possible over these next two weeks... Still would be surprised if Zappy's a victim on Cut-Down Day, but I'm not as sure of it now as I was just a week earlier...

The second point is that particularly given that we are far earlier in the rebuild than we sometimes like to think, we need any number of players on the roster with upside, players who it seems might really develop. We seem to have adopted this approach to an extent in our draft philosophy, but that doesn't mean a thing if you do not have the Moxie to keep those players so that they can develop. If we were putting the finishing touches on a really competitive team to ensure it's success, that would be one thing: the reliably mediocre Zappe would then be the choice, and you would just take a flyer at trying to get Cunningham onto your practice squad. But that's not where we are, we are a mediocre team with serious shortcomings in a number of areas, shortcomings very unlikely to get addressed this year, frankly. We are likely the weakest team in our division. Such teams cannot afford to set aside players - at whatever position - with the sort of upside anyone with eyes can see in Malik Cunningham, certainly not so that we can hold on to a fine but limited fella like Zappe. The fever has broken and the bell has tolled on Zappe Hour. So it goes.

So much THIS. I'm right there with you.

Isaiah Bolden, Kayshon Boutte, Malik Cunningham, maybe Speed - these are end of roster guys worth developing. If you cut and lose Bolden to keep Myles Bryant, I think it a mistake. Bryant is probably better right now, as he knows the schemes and such, but a kid like Bolden has a chance to be much better. Might be, might not be, but don't lose him.

On the OL, if you have a choice in the backups between a guy at or near the end (Ferentz) and an athletic, big guy just coming in, keep the kid.

Protect those dependable vets on the PS. Time for some churn.

The Pats are not trying to wring the final years out of a historic and deep veteran team and the GOAT. They're trying to develop a team into a contender.

Man, you guys turned on Zappe fast! If nothing else, he's a decent, experienced backup on a rookie deal. I doubt he's getting cut.
He'll be the number 2 QB when the season starts. Cunningham should be QB3 - you don't cut that kind of intriguing potential for a Trace McSorley.

Stupid posters posting stupid things. It gets old but never changes here. Zappe goes against Houston's #1 d with our 2/3rd string o-line and 2nd string offense and gets eaten alive and Zappe sucks. Cunningham comes in against Houston's 3rd string defense and looks "amazing". Now posters want to get rid of Zappe and make Cunningham the starter. Lol, how do you think Mac would have done in the same situation? I hope better but imagine pretty much the same. It was the first preseason game, let us see what happens the next couple of weeks before we run anyone out of town, or promote Malik to Canton.

Play maker!
Only chance we have behind a **** offensive line.

In Love Flirting GIF
Friggan troublemaker :)

I honestly thought he was a token camp scout QB. And I've never counted him as a legit WR for this year.
But, he didn't just run around, he stood tough in that useless pocket (or on un-planned bootlegs) and threw pretty well.
I wonder if the coaches are re-ordering their priorities today to try to give him a legit chance to test the rest of preseason.
Team would be wasting him at WR.. he's a running QB, this is what the league is now. Even burrow a pocket passer can run. I AGREE 100% with your assessment.

Man, you guys turned on Zappe fast! If nothing else, he's a decent, experienced backup on a rookie deal. I doubt he's getting cut.
LOL. I know. I thought last year that Zappe had earned a legit shot at competing for the starting job. He outplayed Mac - for a few shining moments at least - and I felt in line with the oft declaimed notion that ALL jobs on the team are open for competition that Zappe had earned that consideration. I also said, explicitly and repeatedly, that I thought he would lose that competition, to the extent that one developed. And now he has. Zappe is a reliably mediocre backup with minimal upside. He will likely be a valuable player somewhere as a backup. He would be ideal for a team which is solid across the board and which has a solid, long-term starter securely in place. We are not that team, and Mac is not (yet?) that quarterback. A team in that position cannot afford the luxury of a qb as lacking in upside potential as Zappe is, certainly not with an option like Cunningham available. As one contemplates ditching Zappe and replacing him as #1 back up with Malik, the question becomes: Might Cunningham serve passably as #1 backup this year? The gamble that he can so develop seems to me a reasonable one, and when you add to that the upside, the diversity of attack he can bring to the offense, the high regard in which his teammates seem to hold him, the need to capitalize on the upside of recent acquisitions in other positions, and so forth, the best option is to give him that role. Zappe will either gain us something in a trade (unlikely), pass through waivers and wind up on our practice squad (probably not), or find employment as a serviceable backup elsewhere.

So do I feel a little odd about abandoning the Zapster: sure. But we ALL (that's ALL) in our sportschat iterations get to be much more preemptively macho in our assertions than we do in our workaday lives, so I am giving myself a pass. Damn me for a fickle flibbertigibbet if you must. I'm undeterred. :)

Last edited:
Just for my own personal benefit, these are the "scrubs" that Malik ran by during that TD run. These are guys who've taken 30% or more of the total ST snaps in a season for their teams previously. I'm not so sure they'll be bagging groceries in a few weeks. Watching a slo mo of Malik's cut, it was faster than watching Brady at full speed juking Urlacher. Amazing change of direction.

Jake Hansen (2nd yr)

Tyree Gillespie (3rd yr)

Grayland Arnold (4th yr)

Could add Wino (whom we all know), Ali Gaye, and Adedayo Odeleye (who seems pretty athletic as a 2nd year International Program player and would've been credited for a tackle if Malik didn't land in the EZ).

He should be in the Patriots hall of fame, if he scores a Touchdown in garbage time of the next pre season game against guys who will be working at Walmart next week, then he can go into the real hall of fame. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves!

If they want to keep him, they are going to have to keep him on the 53, because I’d be shocked if he made it to the practice squad. Seems like the perfect developmental backup quarterback for the Bears and the Ravens, for instance.
Why wouldn’t they have used a 7th on him?
Worthy of a roster spot > worth of a 7th round pick

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back