PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning not in Brady's league

• Thread starter ManningOverratedHick
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
To close the game out, he went 1 for 7 with a pick.
That's not exactly "clutch".

He had to go all the way down the field with a minute and a half left. There were also some dropped balls. If your reason that he choked is that he couldn't pull off a miracle drive then Brady choked in last year's AFCCG too.

Manning's last pass to Clark today wasn't all that different from Brady's 4th quarter hookup with Stallworth last night.

The difference? Stallworth makes a great catch, Clark doesn't. Same with his 2 INT's today.

I hate the "choked" thing. It was put to rest after he was down 21-3 last year, and won a Superbowl. If that's "choking," I think a lot of other fans around the league would take that in their starting QB.

Manning's last pass to Clark today wasn't all that different from Brady's 4th quarter hookup with Stallworth last night.

The difference? Stallworth makes a great catch, Clark doesn't. Same with his 2 INT's today.

I hate the "choked" thing. It was put to rest after he was down 21-3 last year, and won a Superbowl. If that's "choking," I think a lot of other fans around the league would take that in their starting QB.

Manning had a good game today... if he was on your fantasy team. Manning made a terrible throw on the pick six to Cromartie, a terrible throw right in the hands of Merriman who got all Reche Caldwell on a motha, made a stupid decision on a shovel pass to Keith (the one that wasn't picked but was just as dumb), got happy feet late in the game despite a near perfect pocket on almost every drop back, and felt the need to be the hero and go deep on second and third downs when all he needed was five yards for the first down. He played great up until the first interception, after that he was spotty and played like he had a stick up his ass.

He is a very, very good quarterback and in that first half was damn near flawless, but when the game was on the line in the second half he had a very poor showing. That's the rub on Herman Munster, "it is what it is," and saying so does not diminish what Brady has accomplished or how he plays (please explain to me how that stupid logic works).

One good half where he bailed himself out of his shi t play in the preceding half (against backups) does not change the label he has "earned" every other year he was in the playoffs (hell, he was s hit for three and a half games last postseason). That was an overthrown ball from Manning to Clark (how many times have the receivers bailed Manning out on underthrown balls, say, like the Gonzalez catch that was challenged and upheld?). Peyton panicked when Merriman was falling next to him and threw a shi t ball to end the previous possession (you know, the one where he had four and a half goddamn minutes to score the TD).

His play fell apart late in that game. He choked.

And, btw, throwing a pick while attempting to drive 80 yards in 50 seconds is nothing like running around like a chicken with your head cut off with four minutes and fifty seconds to score a touchdown.

Last year's gift from the officials and mother nature doesn't change the rest of a decade of disappointment for the forehead. He's now 7-7 in the playoffs including 5 one and done situations.

He is arguably the biggest choker in NFL history.

Arguably the biggest choker? Not even close.

Someone really needs to tell me how today proves that Manning sucks so much. 33/48 for 402 yards, 3 TDs, and 2 INTs is an exceptional showing. You can blame the picks on the playcalling...only a total of 17 rushes? Peyton threw way too much today and it got predictable.

A great quarterback loses a game and immediately gets relegated to loser status? I don't think so. I'll take Manning over Rivers any day of the week. Hell, I might even take Manning over Brady. A Super Bowl ring does not a loser make.

For a team that a lot of Pats fans claim to have a lot of respect for and that those same fans believe is the only team that has a chance at defeating them - you sure aren't giving the offensive leader much credit.

Do you consider Brady as having "choked" in last year's AFCCG?

I don't.

Brady threw a bad pick, which was one of his rare bad moments in the playoffs. Troy ran the wrong route but Brady threw the ball and it was a pick. He is not normally a choker like Manning, but he had a bad play and tossed away our chances in the final moments. I could care less what you want to call it, but it was a bad play. We won't get into the refs or any other reasons why the Pats had to make a last minute comeback.

Manning has a record of incompetence in big games, even with the refs helping him in each big game. Two INTS and losing to a back up QB and RB with a screaming crowd at home with the refs spotting you 7 points. Very typical of Manning.

Anything short of a victory in this scenario simply reinforces the reality that Manning is not a big game QB. And he choked away his chances at the end as far as I am concerned.

Someone really needs to tell me how today proves that Manning sucks so much. 33/48 for 402 yards, 3 TDs, and 2 INTs is an exceptional showing. You can blame the picks on the playcalling...only a total of 17 rushes? Peyton threw way too much today and it got predictable.

A great quarterback loses a game and immediately gets relegated to loser status? I don't think so. I'll take Manning over Rivers any day of the week. Hell, I might even take Manning over Brady. A Super Bowl ring does not a loser make.

For a team that a lot of Pats fans claim to have a lot of respect for and that those same fans believe is the only team that has a chance at defeating them - you sure aren't giving the offensive leader much credit.

A lousy QB in big games reinforces the fact that he is lousy in big games.

Yeah, go ahead and take Manning, although he probably would refuse to play for you just like his little bro. We are quite happy to have a far superior big game QB.

Well I guess you will have to live with the choking thing. Nothing gets put to rest because of one fluke game.

He had to go all the way down the field with a minute and a half left. There were also some dropped balls. If your reason that he choked is that he couldn't pull off a miracle drive then Brady choked in last year's AFCCG too.

Manning had all the time in the world to score.

Brady had less than two minutes.

Manning chokes five times in the playoffs for every one time Brady screws up. I'll take that any day.

If you don't like it, too bad.

Ok, just for the giggles, please give me a list of, say, 10 quarterbacks who have been bigger chokers than Manning. And remember, falling off a pebble is not as big a fall as falling off a mountain.

I've gone back and forth on this for years, trying to figure out Manning's postseason struggles. Ultimately I don't think he's a big choker, but he lacks the competitive drive and leadership that you must have to be one of the greatest ever. Guys like Michael Jordan, Larry Bird or Tiger Woods kick in into another gear when the going gets tough. Manning doesn't usually fold, he just doesn't take the game into hands and will his team to victory. Playing average doesn't get it done in the biggest games, and while Manning hasn't necessarily been terrible, he definitely doesn't have the incredible poise and precision of Brady in do-or-die situations. That is ultimately why Tom Brady is, and will be remembered as, the greatest quarterback of his generation, and possibly to ever play the game.

I gotta tell you that your avatar(s) is pretty bad...annoying

Hey good for you for having an opinion now find an appropriate place to express it. (Hint: It's not this thread.)

Those of you saying that Brady is better than Manning under pressure are right in my mind, I think Brady has proven to be as good as any QB in the league's history in high pressure situations. I would have been completely on board the Manning is a choker train but he has played much better in the post season since getting bounced by the Steelers in '05 and while I don't think he's the best at playing under pressure he's not a choke artist.

What can I say, I prefer Brady but the incessant droning on this board trying to discredit what Peyton has done is transparent homerism and flat out stupid. Say what you want about seeing the guy on every single commercial but he is a top 5 all time QB in my mind.

Montana
Brady
Marino
Elway
Manning

Meanwhile, Nabisco shareholders are left to wonder their latest advertising campaign is a choke.[/QUOTE]

Kind of reminds me of McNabb and Cambell Chunky Soup . BARF

He played well until the end of the game when they needed him most.

1-7 0 TD 1 INT

peyton did the most awesome fast, nervous, texas two step sort of dance on one of the long misses into the endzone. He never even gave those guys a chance to make the catch..

I invited Peyton Manning to my AFC CG party. He said he'd do it for $210,000. I reminded him he went to a birthday party last year for only $200k. He told me his price has gone up. When I retorted, "Based on this year's performance, it should have gone down," he hung up the phone. A few minutes later his brother Eli called and said he would attend instead if I could postpone the party and schedule it instead for the Super Bowl.

This thread is ******ed. If Brady was wearing blue and white and Manning blue and silver you'd be saying the exact opposite.

Peyton Manning is either the best or second best QB in the league and a top 5 all time QB. His accomplishments in no way diminish what Brady has done and while for my money Brady is the QB I'd most want to have here there is nothing wrong with acknowledging, however begrudgingly, how great Manning has become. There is no way you can say he choked today.

I honestly do not know why some of you seem so antagonized by Manning. It's immature.

If Peyton Manning were wearing blue and silver we wouldn't have 3 rings already and driving towards # 4 with a 17 - 0 record. Manning is a big stats guy but he's not a big game player and never has been. And this is not a new point of view with many of us Patriot fans simply because Brady is having an all-world season. We've known Tom Brady was the much better player for a long time. All this year did was expose the rest of the country to the special player TB is. Your post is what's ******ed. Peyton Manning is not top 5 all-time. No way!

A choker is not determined on one play or one game. A choker is determined by the outcome of many games over time. One becomes a choker when they routinely lose big games in which they are favored in or should win. A choker can also be someone who plays exceptionally bad in big games.

Peyton didn't choke yesterday because he threw two picks. He choked yesterday simply because his team lost a game at home in which they were heavily favored. Plain and simple. This isn't the first time this has happened either. He lost at home to Pitt in '05. He played terrible in '03 and '04 against the Patriots. He got demolished by the Jets in the 2002 postseason. You get the point. The only playoff games Peyton has led the Colts to victory are the games he should have won.

On the other hand, you can't call Brady a choker in last years AFCCG because of the pick at the end of the game. The Patriots were not favored in this game. The were expected to lose. You can't choke away a game you're expected to lose, unless you play exceptionally bad (which Brady did not). Same goes with the loss at Denver the year before. However, Brady routinely leads the Patriots to victory in games they have not business winning. If you can't remember some of them, here's a little list:

2001 AFCD vs. Raiders-At home, but still underdogs.
2001 AFCCG @ Pittsburgh
2001 SB vs. Rams-Largest underdog to ever win a superbowl.
2004 AFCCG @ Pittsburgh-Pitt was 15-1 this season and the favorite.
2006 AFCD @ San Diego-NE underdog vs. team coming off bye.

Not to mention that he always comes through in the big games he is supposed to win such as superbowls, and big regular season games such as the game @ INDY and the game @ NYG this year.

I'll take Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents