PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo: With the #3 pick we're taking BPA for the biggest need on the team

they're taking a left tackle

Make it Rain, Mayo $

Make It Rain Money GIF

I'm starting to think the Bucs will find a way to keep Evans and the Bengals will tag Higgins. I think the prospects of rebuilding our WRs is going to get a lot harder.
Watch it mike buzz-kill don't make me angry you wouldn't like me if I'm angry. :)
Angry Aubrey Plaza GIF by Parks and Recreation

Watch it mike buzz-kill don't make me angry you wouldn't like me if I'm angry. :)
Sorry, just reading some reports and it sounds like both teams are going to try to keep their WRs.

Qb biggest need but I'm not sold on any of em. I liked Maye until I saw him really really suck vs. Clemson.
Williams is Kyler Murray but with no guts and no brain.
Really, Daniels and Penix were the best qbs last year. Penix had one bad game which is way fewer and vs tougher competition than Maye or Williams .
But Penix and Daniels also have big risks.
The above 5 are the only ones I see with the potential to be nfl starters eventually.
Pats have huge needs at both OT spots since they'll probably lose Onwenu.
And wr, obviously.
So if you draft MHJ or Alt or Fashanu at 3, you're guaranteed a difference-maker at a very important position. You draft any qb at 3,incl. both Maye and Williams and its a bit of a crapshoot.
There's one big problem with not drafting a qb,though: the Pats will get a stud ar wr or lt who us an immediate starter, plus likely sign an nfl vet qb plus Gonzo and Judon back means Pats will be much improved next year. Which means they won't be drafting in the top 10 again for years. So what are the odds they get extremely lucky and draft a qb at say,#20
next year who becomes a stud? Highly unlikely.
So what the hell should they do?
I have no f'n idea.

Starting to think I'm in the minority but I still take the chance with Daniels. QB is everything and is our best chance to draft a cost controlled franchise QB. Go OL next 2 picks and, hopefully, can sign some WR's in free agency.

If they decide to keep Mac and have him as our starter then what has changed from last year ? Nothing and this team will again be bottom feeders! I want to see some improvement next season, I am not expecting SB, but I am expecting changes for the better and Mac is not that. They should have kept Bill if that is the route they are taking !!!!!

Sounds like no trade then.

QB, WR or LT it is then. I guess it depends how he feels about his QB room.
I know what I feel doesn't matter. That being said, I wouldn't feel good about the QB Room.

I like Evans in theory. But he's already 30, and has had some injury concerns (even though he's put up good numbers).

Just need to look at what's available in free agency, and what's not available.

- You can probably find a WR1: between Higgins, Evans, Pittman Jr or a trade, someone will be available
- You can probably find a decent TE1: Dalton Schultz is good, and they might be able to just bring back Hunter Henry, who was fine
- You CAN'T find a QB1: there's Cousins, Baker (who are not necessarily world-beaters themselves) and then that's it. Assuming they stay with their teams, you're looking at backups/bridge guys at best
- You CAN'T find a LT: Tyron Smith is a big maybe. They next best guy is Trent Brown...

Considering the above - I would spend on WR and TE in free agency and try to get a mid-level RT and a bridge QB. I would then draft a QB at 3 and investigate moving up into the late teens/early twenties for a guy I can make my left tackle.

- You can probably find a WR1: between Higgins, Evans, Pittman Jr or a trade, someone will be available
- You can probably find a decent TE1: Dalton Schultz is good, and they might be able to just bring back Hunter Henry, who was fine
- You CAN'T find a QB1: there's Cousins, Baker (who are not necessarily world-beaters themselves) and then that's it. Assuming they stay with their teams, you're looking at backups/bridge guys at best
- You CAN'T find a LT: Tyron Smith is a big maybe. They next best guy is Trent Brown...

Considering the above - I would spend on WR and TE in free agency and try to get a mid-level RT and a bridge QB. I would then draft a QB at 3 and investigate moving up into the late teens/early twenties for a guy I can make my left tackle.
That's how I feel. Take Maye or Daniels at 3 and work to trade up for another first round pick to take a LT. Although I'd say we must attempt to resign Onwenu.

FA doesn’t look great for any of our biggest needs unfortunately.

Qb- cousins will be too expensive for what he’ll actually bring, same with mayfield even if tb lets him hit fa

Wr- higgins is going to cost a fortune and not sure hes a true #1. Evans would be ideal on a 2 year pact but what are the chances he’ll leave tb at this stage.

Ot- not much here either, but i think a mid level lt like jonah williams can work for us and im okay with paying onwenu. Youll be overpaying a little but what else are you going to do with the cash? Getting those 2 around $30m combined per year would allow you to grab daniels or mhj #3, then address the last remaining critical need by trading back into rd 1. Seems like the safest route if you are set on drafting a qb at 3 like mayo sounds. If thats the plan you CANNOT enter the draft needing 2 tackles and a wr1.

Sounds like no trade then.

QB, WR or LT it is then. I guess it depends how he feels about his QB room.
My hope is we do this:
Sign a FA veteran, QB ( Bailey Jones think they are starting QBs in the league)
Draft Harrison Jr. At #3
Trade for fields
Take a LT at #33

Sign Higgins &
Trade for Jaire Alexander to pair with gonzo.

Would be my dream scenario LOL

Have you applied for GM yet? I hear they're interviewing.

Dude, we all understand something about you…

1705944983754.gif

…you’re always angry. ;) (jk… a little :))

My hope is we do this:
Sign a FA veteran, QB ( Bailey Jones think they are starting QBs in the league)
Draft Harrison Jr. At #3
Trade for fields
Take a LT at #33

Sign Higgins &
Trade for Jaire Alexander to pair with gonzo.

Would be my dream scenario LOL
I'm not okay with Fields as the QB, but the rest of it sounds good to me.

It's either a QB unless they aren't high on whoever is there at 3, then they take MHJ. We don't need to overcomplicate this.
Agreed. This might be their most straight forward pick in years.

We have the third pick and there are four names that keep getting thrown out there.....so it will come down to picking one of the two that are still on the board.

That's how I feel. Take Maye or Daniels at 3 and work to trade up for another first round pick to take a LT. Although I'd say we must attempt to resign Onwenu.
Well, one consideration to also think about is that if they hire someone like Zac Robinson and move to a zone blocking scheme, it could also impact the type of OL personnel they want. Onwenu is considered by some to be a fine RT in their current scheme, but a bit big and slow for a zone blocking scheme, at least as a tackle. That may be why there are rumors that he’s not a target to re-sign.

I do kind of wonder if Strange could be a tackle conversion. He’s very agile.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back