PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

Bring in Tino, Vinnie Sunseri’s brother, who coached Mac as QBs coach at Alabama. He’s like a QB whisperer.

With Robinson gone, unless Caley blows them away, I’m coming around to seeing if Josh wants to come back.

Staff is VERY light on experience.

With Robinson gone, unless Caley blows them away, I’m coming around to seeing if Josh wants to come back.

I’m in on Detroits passing game coordinator, Niners tight end coach or Luke Getsy he helped develop love and Fields had improved.
Kind of surprised Bears fired him I feel like he was more a victim of saving the HCs job.

This is painful to watch. Due diligence is one thing but this seems like a glacial pace.
Eagles have already hired Fangio and Moore, while it seems like Mayo is having difficulty even getting second and third tier guys to join his staff.
This franchise has fallen so far in four years.

Things are pointing to Caley getting the OC job. Reportedly, Belichick thought highly enough of him to give him the duties of the OC after McDaniels left in 2023, but Caley turned him because the offer didn’t come with the title. A year residency with Rams could only gave helped round out his experience.

I also believe Josh McDaniels will be on staff to help Caley settle into the position. The question to me is whether McDaniels position will be as a boss with an Asst. HC title or just an advisory title and role. McDaniels is owed $60 million over the next 4 seasons from the Raiders. In those shoes, who would want to work too hard, take on too much responsibility and put themselves in position to be blamed if things go bad. Thus, I believe he’ll end up only be in an advisory role. Though his impact will be greater than it appears.

The expectation from there is Caley and the Pats will round out much of the offensive staff by bringing back the offensive coaches McDaniels took with him to the Raiders.

Carmen Briscillo did a good job dealing with injuries and overall underwhelming talent with the Pats Offensive lines in 2020 and 2021. He did a good job with the Raiders over the last couple of seasons as well and would be a big improvement over Matt Patricia and Adrian Klemm. Maybe, he gets a running game coordinator title and a real good assistant or two to help round the Pats OLine back to a winning form.

I’m not a big Mick Lombardi fan possibly because I think his dad, Mike, is insufferable. But, his work with the Pats WRs in 2020 and 2021 was much better than we’ve seen from Troy Brown and Ross Douglas over the last couple of seasons. He was Josh’s OC with the Raiders. They can do better at WR coach, but, maybe, a passing game coordinator role would be good for him.

Bo Hardigree might have other offers, but the Raiders thought highly enough of him to make him interim OC after McDaniels and Lombardi were fired. Jerrry Shuplinski is another coach with Patriots ties on the staff with the Raiders. He was an asst QB coach with the Patriots at one time.

I know it’s wouldn’t be the wholesale changes many want to see. But, I think the cohesion of coaches who’ve worked together in the past with the last good offensive season the Pats had plus keeping the defensive staff in place with some notable role chances is the best strategy, along with acquiring LOTs of good players, is the fastest and surest way back to contention.

I hear you but there's been plenty of experienced OCs that have sucked. Look at BoB, ALA fans were elated when he left. We saw what he did here this season.

Whomever it ends up being, I just hope he brings energy and creativity to the offense. At the end of the day, nothing will matter unless we bring in talented players. The offense player talent barrel is empty.

Things are pointing to Caley getting the OC job. Reportedly, Belichick thought highly enough of him to give him the duties of the OC after McDaniels left in 2023, but Caley turned him because the offer didn’t come with the title. A year residency with Rams could only gave helped round out his experience.

I also believe Josh McDaniels will be on staff to help Caley settle into the position. The question to me is whether McDaniels position will be as a boss with an Asst. HC title or just an advisory title and role. McDaniels is owed $60 million over the next 4 seasons from the Raiders. In those shoes, who would want to work too hard, take on too much responsibility and put themselves in position to be blamed if things go bad. Thus, I believe he’ll end up only be in an advisory role. Though his impact will be greater than it appears.

The expectation from there is Caley and the Pats will round out much of the offensive staff by bringing back the offensive coaches McDaniels took with him to the Raiders.

Carmen Briscillo did a good job dealing with injuries and overall underwhelming talent with the Pats Offensive lines in 2020 and 2021. He did a good job with the Raiders over the last couple of seasons as well and would be a big improvement over Matt Patricia and Adrian Klemm. Maybe, he gets a running game coordinator title and a real good assistant or two to help round the Pats OLine back to a winning form.

I’m not a big Mick Lombardi fan possibly because I think his dad, Mike, is insufferable. But, his work with the Pats WRs in 2020 and 2021 was much better than we’ve seen from Troy Brown and Ross Douglas over the last couple of seasons. He was Josh’s OC with the Raiders. They can do better at WR coach, but, maybe, a passing game coordinator role would be good for him.

Bo Hardigree might have other offers, but the Raiders thought highly enough of him to make him interim OC after McDaniels and Lombardi were fired. Jerrry Shuplinski is another coach with Patriots ties on the staff with the Raiders. He was an asst QB coach with the Patriots at one time.

I know it’s wouldn’t be the wholesale changes many want to see. But, I think the cohesion of coaches who’ve worked together in the past with the last good offensive season the Pats had plus keeping the defensive staff in place with some notable role chances is the best strategy, along with acquiring LOTs of good players, is the fastest and surest way back to contention.
McDaniels will not be on this 2024 staff and Briscillo took a job with the giants

My concern with some of these ideas is that Josh taking an advisory role and bringing back some of his guys might set us up for a bad position in 2025 again. Josh would likely just be biding his time for a year until Belichick takes a head coaching job again next season, then Josh goes there would poach some of the guys he just brought to NE a year prior… Though I suppose this time Josh would just be in an OC-type role, so they wouldn’t be leaving for promotions anymore.

In my opinion, Mayo saying “titles matter” was speaking directly to Nick Caley, whose NE tenure ended because of titles.

Mayo worked with Caley for a few years, even if it was on the other side of the ball, and was in for his interview for OC last year. So I imagine he has a good understanding of Caley and what he wants to do and wanted to do 2 years ago and 1 year ago, vs what actually happened, and compare/contrast.

If we are looking at more of an EP offense then I am up for what Caley has cooking. Color me curious. McDaniels is a safe option, but is also a bit of a known commodity. I do wonder what kind of staff he would build, and if he might try to lean into any zone blocking schemes on the OL.

In my opinion, Mayo saying “titles matter” was speaking directly to Nick Caley, whose NE tenure ended because of titles.

Mayo worked with Caley for a few years, even if it was on the other side of the ball, and was in for his interview for OC last year. So I imagine he has a good understanding of Caley and what he wants to do and wanted to do 2 years ago and 1 year ago, vs what actually happened, and compare/contrast.
Caley was primed to take over the OC position in 2022... and you are spot on when he declined due to not getting the title along with the responsibilities. The fallback became the Frankensteins monster of Matt Patricia & Joe Judge.

Interesting name... too tied to Josh McDaniels at this point... If BB stayed, I could see him returning with Josh, but now, a return is most likely not in the cards...

Based on everything and nothing, I do feel like Mayo is being set up to fail here. Not because we are bringing in coaches from outside, but it seems like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for coaches. As a first time coach somewhat short on experience (though with a lot more than Bobby Hill), Mayo needs people who have an exacting eye and who can teach the fundamentals. Given all the extra attention he has to pay to all facets now, this is not looking good on offense. OC, WRs, OL, RBs, TEs, all need addressing. On the defensive side it will be interesting. They'll need a new LB and DL coach. I'm assuming Pellegrino stays since they had an excellent unit. They'll need another DB coach.
Or he could end up in a Dan Campbell situation and become successful with Mac.

I think it might be best for mayo to wait it out with Mac and get some draft assets from #3 and try to fill the OT and WR hole. As someone suggested trade with Giants and sign one of the OTs and draft Nix or best receiver with the additional 2nd pick.

I guess we are not getting the full reset many of us were hoping for.
Bringing in new ideas new schemes from outside the organization to freshen up the stink of the last 4 years.

Bringing in new ideas new schemes from outside the organization to freshen up the stink of the last 4 years.o
Didn’t that dawn on you once Mayo was hired?

Bringing in new ideas new schemes from outside the organization to freshen up the stink of the last 4 years.
We still have other interviews tomorrow right?

Didn’t that dawn on you once Mayo was hired?
I hoped for change, but you are right. Mayo comes from the BB tree. Pretty clear signal Kraft did not want a full redo.
I look at what Washington is doing bringing Peters in from SF as gm and hiring Ben Johnson as coach and was hoping for a full reset like that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back