PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

I hoped for change, but you are right. Mayo comes from the BB tree. Pretty clear signal Kraft did not want a full redo.
I look at what Washington is doing bringing Peters in from SF as gm and hiring Ben Johnson as coach and was hoping for a full reset like that.
I think everyone did apart from the people who believe Mayo is going to break the trend of suck from this whole Belichick tree, i'll believe it when i see it.

I keep hearing about how he's different and his own man and it's not going to be like Bill, i heard all the same stuff about how great McDaniels would be the 2nd time around, plenty of people here were happy with McDaniels as the next Pats coach, how'd that work out?

This franchise badly needs outside eyes from people who have worked on other teams, it's been lacking new ideas and eyes for years and most of the staff have only seen one way of doing things.

I think everyone did apart from the people who believe Mayo is going to break the trend of suck from this whole Belichick tree, i'll believe it when i see it.

I keep hearing about how he's different and his own man and it's not going to be like Bill, i heard all the same stuff about how great McDaniels would be the 2nd time around, plenty of people here were happy with McDaniels as the next Pats coach, how'd that work out?

This franchise badly needs outside eyes from people who have worked on other teams, it's been lacking new ideas and eyes for years and most of the staff have only seen one way of doing things.
Mayo interviewing so many Candiates as OC is steps in the right direction.
I think Kraft knowing him is exploring what it will take to move up to one for Caleb Williams.

Now this move only makes sense if you get one of Higgins or Pittman in free agency and a vet QB, to mentor him.

Jacoby Brissett?
Josh Dobbs?

I think Kraft knowing him is exploring what it will take to move up to one for Caleb Williams.

Now this move only makes sense if you get one of Higgins or Pittman in free agency and a vet QB, to mentor him.

Jacoby Brissett?
Josh Dobbs?
Jacoby Brisset is a great idea

The OC will may have a chance at handpicking a rookie QB to mold.
Seems like signs are pointing to Caley as new OC, I don't mind him,, Bill reportedly approached him with being OC in 2022 before he put Joe and Matt there..

Jacoby Brissett?
Josh Dobbs?
Screenshot_20240128_100235_Samsung Internet.jpg

No thanks
I’m saying Kraft wants to get back in the lime light, what better way?
Plus Chicago is still alll but guaranteed Harrison Jr at 3.

Now if Chicago drafts Caleb then MJH at 3, and Bo mix, JJ McCarthy in the second or Justin Fields with that pick.
Worst case Pennix in the third.

E

It’s widely reported, I’m sure he is the favorite but aren’t we still interviewing. Detroit’s passing game coordinator, Ninwrs tight end coach, and Luke Getsy?
Yes, we are. However like covington Caley seems to be the favorite. What I know about Nick is tjst he was here for a number of years as our TEs coach right? I have heard he's a dam good offensive coach, and what he can bring back here is some intel from the McVey experience. So I'd be ok with him.. we need an OC, most of the candidates went elsewhere. If Caley gets it, and can coach up the new QB and get this offense into the 21st century then that would be amazing.

Yes, we are. However like covington Caley seems to be the favorite. What I know about Nick is tjst he was here for a number of years as our TEs coach right? I have heard he's a dam good offensive coach, and what he can bring back here is some intel from the McVey experience. So I'd be ok with him.. we need an OC, most of the candidates went elsewhere. If Caley gets it, and can coach up the new QB and get this offense into the 21st century then that would be amazing.
I’m sure in one year he’s only learned a fraction of Mcvays offense as opposed to someone like Brian in San Fran who’s been tied to Shannys hip.

I’m sure in one year he’s only learned a fraction of Mcvays offense as opposed to someone like Brian in San Fran who’s been tied to Shannys hip.
Sure, however I'd be willing to take a year of the rams offense from anything we've seen last 2 seasons offensively. Also take into account guys we have if they come back aren't under the scrutiny of bill anymore. I expect Mayo's going to have the right people around him.

Second interviews for Nick Caley for OC & Jeremy Springer for Special Teams Coordinator...

This is the first time we've heard about a second interview for Special Teams... The Caley info was reported at the end of last week... Hopefully we can get both positions straightened out sooner rather than later...

If these hires come thru, man we are going to have a young & relatively inexperienced coaching staff...

Think they will start looking at former HC's to add a verteran presence to the staff, maybe in an advisory role? I think adding Rich Bisacca to the Packers staff last year helped that team... Might be an approach we should adopt...

Thinking about guys that could be considered... Mike Vrabel, if he doesn't get a job this year, is the first, and really the only one to come to mind...

I'm sure there are more out there who could be considered...

Second interviews for Nick Caley for OC & Jeremy Springer for Special Teams Coordinator...

This is the first time we've heard about a second interview for Special Teams... The Caley info was reported at the end of last week... Hopefully we can get both positions straightened out sooner rather than later...

If these hires come thru, man we are going to have a young & relatively inexperienced coaching staff...

Think they will start looking at former HC's to add a verteran presence to the staff, maybe in an advisory role? I think adding Rich Bisacca to the Packers staff last year helped that team... Might be an approach we should adopt...

Thinking about guys that could be considered... Mike Vrabel, if he doesn't get a job this year, is the first, and really the only one to come to mind...

I'm sure there are more out there who could be considered...
Agreed, definitely Mayo will look to add some veterans on his staff, your right caley/covington are young.. but have some experience.. I can see if they were coming from the college ranks and went right into the NFL as coaches. However if Vrabel were to join Mayo's staff thst would be huge for him. What about Steve and Brian? Nothing on them so far huh...

Agreed, definitely Mayo will look to add some veterans on his staff, your right caley/covington are young.. but have some experience.. I can see if they were coming from the college ranks and went right into the NFL as coaches. However if Vrabel were to join Mayo's staff thst would be huge for him. What about Steve and Brian? Nothing on them so far huh...
None of them have experience in the Coordinator role... There are other former head coaches out there i suppose, but none of them really "ring my bell" when i think about them... Gave an odd thought to Pete Carroll, but like BB I'm sure he wants to continue coaching... Kliff Kingsbury, maybe... but he's still in play for a Coordinators role... Ron Riveria, but my thoughts on him can be summed up as "meh"... Rob Ryan, wasn't a HC, but has decades of experience, but i don't know what he's doing at this point...

and yeah, I'm at a loss to define any potential role for the Sons of Belichick at this point... Good coaches though... I'd like them to stay, but we shall see...

None of them have experience in the Coordinator role... There are other former head coaches out there i suppose, but none of them really "ring my bell" when i think about them... Gave an odd thought to Pete Carroll, but like BB I'm sure he wants to continue coaching... Kliff Kingsbury, maybe... but he's still in play for a Coordinators role... Ron Riveria, but my thoughts on him can be summed up as "meh"... Rob Ryan, wasn't a HC, but has decades of experience, but i don't know what he's doing at this point...

and yeah, I'm at a loss to define any potential role for the Sons of Belichick at this point... Good coaches though... I'd like them to stay, but we shall see...
Franch Reich is another former HC name, possibly? But yes I understand. The Coordinator role is much different. So theses guys are football coaches, and have a wealth of info learned from Bill.. that's the advantage they would have over anyone else just being around the best , and learning from Bill. Just like Mayo. They will have to create thier own style, and make adjustments and adapt like all coaches have to do in the NFL.

Yeah Steven and Brian I would hope would stay.. they really could be great coaches here as they have been.

You left out Matt Patricia. He has HC experience and recent experience calling offensive and defensive plays. He already knows where to park his car when he shows up for work, and some say he even designed the new football facility upgrades. He’s even coached the offensive line.

Let bygones be bygones folks. Bring back Phat Matt.

Franch Reich is another former HC name, possibly? But yes I understand. The Coordinator role is much different. So theses guys are football coaches, and have a wealth of info learned from Bill.. that's the advantage they would have over anyone else just being around the best , and learning from Bill. Just like Mayo. They will have to create thier own style, and make adjustments and adapt like all coaches have to do in the NFL.

Yeah Steven and Brian I would hope would stay.. they really could be great coaches here as they have been.
Its my understanding, that after being let go by the Panthers, Frank Reich pretty much tossed the towel in the ring on his coaching career...

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back