PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McKelvin has his house vandalized shortly after the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home, no kids. I'll be the same person with kids that I am today. I.e., not afraid of having my lawn spray painted and not prone to hysterical over-reaction such as wishing death or excessive beat-downs on the drunken yahoo perpetrators of such a thing.

ROFLMAO.

You don't have kids? You have NO idea then. NONE.

My friend's car was vandalized...the teenagers across the street thought it would be funny to break in and steal his badge. His 4 year old is now afraid of the "bad guys" not because he was TAUGHT to be scared, but because kids are smart and can sense when things aren't right.

If you had kids, you might have clue #1 about how perceptive they are. But obviously, you don't.

Last edited:
His 4 year old is now afraid of the "bad guys" not because he was TAUGHT to be scared, but because kids are smart and can sense when things aren't right.

Aw, come on, Bella. The problem is that the parents were IRRATIONAL! Probably they called the police, rather than cheerfully teaching their child that vandalism, breaking and entering and theft are just well-meaning fun. That's parents today for you.

Experienced parents know that any two-year old will be totally calm with a drunken gang of angry strangers wakening him in the middle of the night screaming threats and insults at his family, as long as his parents rationally tell him to stop being afraid. After all, reasoning with toddlers is sound parenting strategy! Ideally the child will even make the rational connection that any angry drunken strangers who knock at the door should be welcomed in, because there's nothing to be afraid of.

ROFLMAO.

My friend's car was vandalized...the teenagers across the street thought it would be funny to break in and steal his badge. His 4 year old is now afraid of the "bad guys" not because he was TAUGHT to be scared, but because kids are smart and can sense when things aren't right.

If you had kids, you might have clue #1 about how perceptive they are. But obviously, you don't.

I'll wager that the "bad guys" language comes from the parents or TV. Sure kids get irrationally scared, but it's your job to teach them to understand things and not to live in fear. I have plenty of friends with kids and this is how they tend to do it. And guess what? The kids don't freak out.

This whole think of the children thing is pretty unthinking fear-mongering.

Aw, come on, Bella. The problem is that the parents were IRRATIONAL! Probably they called the police, rather than cheerfully teaching their child that vandalism, breaking and entering and theft are just well-meaning fun. That's parents today for you.

Sure, let's draw broad unfounded conclusions about today's parenting from precious little information. That's pretty rational, yes?

Experienced parents know that any two-year old will be totally calm with a drunken gang of angry strangers wakening him in the middle of the night screaming threats and insults at his family, as long as his parents rationally tell him to stop being afraid. After all, reasoning with toddlers is sound parenting strategy! Ideally the child will even make the rational connection that any angry drunken strangers who knock at the door should be welcomed in, because there's nothing to be afraid of.

There's not much to be afraid of, unless you make yourself fearful or watch too much TV. Passing that fear on to your kids is a shame. Or we can teach them how the world works and be amazed at how much stronger they become.

But think of the children! :rolleyes:

Wow, f*ck Buffalo fans! Talk about taking things too personal. Their city should embarrassed! What a bunch of psycho's!

ROFLMAO.

By the way, I said it earlier and I'll say it again. When I have kids one of the most important things I will teach them is to not be afraid. You see, I want them to succeed, not to shrink away.

By the way, I said it earlier and I'll say it again. When I have kids one of the most important things I will teach them is to not be afraid. You see, I want them to succeed, not to shrink away.

Teach all you want, but if you think that means you can control how a little kid thinks and feels, you have some harsh lessons coming your way.

Teach all you want, but if you think that means you can control how a little kid thinks and feels, you have some harsh lessons coming your way.

I've been around kids enough to know that environment is everything. They want love, consistency, and engagement and that comes from the parents. Hovering, stories about bad evil men, and nervous nail-biting evening news watching parents however, is a sure-fire recipe for hesitant and uncertain kids. To be honest I don't really think I have much in the way of harsh lessons about raising kids coming. Other than lack of sleep, at least. In any event, to each his own.

I don't think he wants to control how his kids think and feel. He wants to teach them to do that on their own and make their own decisions.

he's not a republican, after all.

...which is completely different. That's a local community of peers, high-school kids ragging on each other. This is a public figure having his personal life invaded by anonymous strangers. T

How is that any different from the kid two towns over who you've never met vandalizing your house? Anonymous strangers in both cases.

I'm not even sure what anyone is arguing about. There is no debate here. What happened to McKelvin's house was wrong. Period. There is no excuse, or explanation, or rationalization.

I don't think he wants to control how his kids think and feel. He wants to teach them to do that on their own and make their own decisions.

he's not a republican, after all.

Firstly, politics have no place in this forum.

Secondly, my son is afraid of the pool. He's 2.5. THere is no reason to be afraid. He's knows we're not afraid and we take him all the time. He's never had anything bad happen to him in the water. He is not scared of baths. He is afraid of the big expanse of the pool. I can "teach" him not to be afraid till the cows come home, but right now, HE IS AFRAID. The end. No amount of me being calm and rational has made one iota of difference.

One day, I'm sure he'll outgrow it. ONE day. I don't know when. You cannot just "teach" your kids and expect them to absorb your lessons perfectly immediately. If this McKelvin has small children, then YES, they could very well be afraid of vandals despite how "rational" their parents are.

I'm not even sure what anyone is arguing about. There is no debate here. What happened to McKelvin's house was wrong. Period. There is no excuse, or explanation, or rationalization.

I don't see anyone arguing otherwise.

Secondly, my son is afraid of the pool. He's 2.5. THere is no reason to be afraid. He's knows we're not afraid and we take him all the time. He's never had anything bad happen to him in the water. He is not scared of baths. He is afraid of the big expanse of the pool. I can "teach" him not to be afraid till the cows come home, but right now, HE IS AFRAID. The end. No amount of me being calm and rational has made one iota of difference.

Sure there is a reason. 2 Million years of evolution. Children who fall in pools and don't know how to swim drown. You basically have to force kids to learn to swim.

Sure there is a reason. 2 Million years of evolution. Children who fall in pools and don't know how to swim drown. You basically have to force kids to learn to swim.

Oh, THAT's the reason. Gee, watching all the others toddlers splashing around in the kiddie pool (which he's also afraid of for no reason), you'd never know.

I don't see anyone arguing otherwise.

I see the argument that it's no big deal. It is. Even here on Redskins radio, where no one talks about anything but the Redskins, they are talking about this with absolute disgust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes