PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy Declares for the Draft

Smells like a Day 2 pick as a project. Not for me.

Horrible decision. I know he is coming off a natty but he needs another year - at least - on the farm. Michigan was a running team. One of their marquee games of the regular season was defined by them running the ball 30 times in a row (he threw for 60 yards).

In his final 6 games of the season, he averaged 143 yards. Not good.

so, a safe consensus is "nah"? good to know

If in the unlikely event he falls to the 3rd round, I'd draft him and have him sit for his rookie season (perhaps longer if we find a stud at QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Best case scenario, with the right coaching and talent on offense, he could be a great #2 QB (and possibly bring us a high future draft pick).

Last edited:
Hmmm... Mock Database has a lot of people thinking mid Rd1 (with an overall projection end of 1st) which I think is far fetched unless he blows everyone out of the water at the Combine. Imho, I'm thinking late 2nd / Rd3 is where he'll go, which my be too rich for the Pats. Dude is technically skinnier than Jayden Daniels.

He does have a surprising amount of speed... may be in the 4.5's or even 4.4's...

Random thought - I think this is ~53 air yards on a rope:

Last edited:
Hmmm... Mock Database has a lot of people thinking mid Rd1 (with an overall projection end of 1st) which I think is far fetched unless he blows everyone out of the water at the Combine. Imho, I'm thinking late 2nd / Rd3 is where he'll go, which my be too rich for the Pats. Dude is technically skinnier than Jayden Daniels.

He does have a surprising amount of speed... may be in the 4.5's or even 4.4's...

Random thought - I think this is ~53 air yards on a rope:

that 53 yard pass across the field? yeah, thats an int in the NFL

He definitely needs time on the bench 1 year? 2?
Preferably behind a well-established, mid career vet.

If in the unlikely event he falls to the 3rd round, I'd draft him and have him sit for his rookie season (perhaps longer if we find a stud at QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Best case scenario, with the right coaching and talent on offense, he could be a great #2 QB.
If your best case scenario is that he is a #2 QB, then why the heck would you draft him so early? 6th round, maybe.

I don't think he is even remotely NFL caliber and I don't want him coming here, except maybe as a day 3 flyer.

i think I have quickly reached the decision that he's a project quarterback from what you all have said... thats a project we don't need at this point

i think I have quickly reached the decision that he's a project quarterback from what you all have said... thats a project we don't need at this point
I was interested him, but after the playoffs, very much less so.

I was interested him, but after the playoffs, very much less so.
i don't watch college football...

so when i heard National Champ... Draft... wondered if a third option emerged behind Williams & Maye

i don't watch college football...

so when i heard National Champ... Draft... wondered if a third option emerged behind Williams & Maye
I think it’s Daniels. Everything I read on Williams is diva. Maye… I wish he played for a big time program.

If your best case scenario is that he is a #2 QB, then why the heck would you draft him so early? 6th round, maybe.

I don't think he is even remotely NFL caliber and I don't want him coming here, except maybe as a day 3 flyer.
I just don't think he'll last until even the 5th round. Although that would depend on the combine, pro-days, etc. It'll also depend on how the other 31 teams rate him. Day 3 wouldn't be a bad player to draft though.

Smells like a Day 2 pick as a project. Not for me.
Such a hard pass...has shown me very little as a passer R2 talent that will likely be elevated by his accomplishments
Horrible decision. I know he is coming off a natty but he needs another year - at least - on the farm. Michigan was a running team. One of their marquee games of the regular season was defined by them running the ball 30 times in a row (he threw for 60 yards).

In his final 6 games of the season, he averaged 143 yards. Not good.
Yup, won't criticize his decision, but there is no way that he is better than Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, or Nix

He's ultimately a project...Good to sit behind a vet for a year or two or three

The thing about McCarthy is the way the offense is ran by Harbaugh in Michigan. Game plan changes week to week based on the opponent. There could be a game where the other team couldn’t stop the run and they’d run it all day Saturday. And the next week they are throwing all over the field. Not a lot to work with to evaluate. He did what he was asked to do and won a championship. I do agree he should of stayed in school and gambled on himself without Harbaugh. If he lit it up he’d be back in the first round.

Anyone know if he was one of the juniors that got an invite to the senior bowl? That would also improve his stock if he did well there.

Such a hard pass...has shown me very little as a passer R2 talent that will likely be elevated by his accomplishments

Yup, won't criticize his decision, but there is no way that he is better than Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, or Nix

He's ultimately a project...Good to sit behind a vet for a year or two or three
Just a note: juniors have a few weeks to rescind their decision to declare, as long as they haven't hired an agent.

Some team might get stupid he wouldn't be my First Rounder late Second or Third.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back