PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Dussault: Making the Case for a Long-Term Logan Ryan Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Making the Case for a Long-Term Logan Ryan Contract

Gotta say.... I love the points Mike is making here, especially with regards to giving Hightower such a big contract. Also ask yourself this.....do you really want to go through another 3 or 4 years trying to rebuild our secondary (e.g. 2009 - 2013) while Brady is aging past 40 and our championship window is narrowing?

"I hope Hightower is a Patriot for life. But right now I think it’s 50/50 at best that he returns, it might have to be under the Franchise Tag and then we’ll do this whole dance again next offseason."

"Let’s face it, the Patriots aren’t going to give a monster contract to a guy who can’t stay on the field. The fact that the defense still didn’t miss a beat with him playing so sparingly also says something. Statistically, Hightower had the worst year of his career. Watching Hightower play just 52 percent of the AFC Championship Game snaps certainly didn’t help Hightower’s cause, even if it was due to injury."

"The strength of this defense has really not been their front seven, at least not the pieces that are due for Free Agency outside of one player — Alan Branch. Branch is wrapping up the second year of a $4.3 million deal, and he’s been their most consistently dominant force up front. Branch is certainly at the old age crossroads, but it’s safe to say he’d be far more affordable on a one-year deal than Hightower would."

"Duron Harmon has been a valuable piece, but is ultimately a third safety who plays about 50 percent of the snaps per game. If Tavon Wilson can start in Detroit, Harmon should certainly get the chance to start somewhere. He’s played well, but he’s the kind of player you have to let walk"

"This brings me to the main player who is making this all so hard — Logan Ryan. Ryan has had an outstanding year, leading NFL defensive backs with 92 tackles and allowing just 56 receptions. Most seemed resigned to letting Ryan walk going into the season, replacing him with Cyrus Jones in theory, but right now I have serious concerns about losing him."

"Of all these young players getting to the end of their first contracts has anyone outplayed Ryan? Has anyone of them meant more to the Patriots’ season? If you want to embody the Patriots defensive strength, it’s Ryan. Steady, consistent tackler and ever-improving. He’s never missed a game in his four years. And he shouldn’t get number one shutdown corner money, so maybe there’s a chance for a middle ground contract.

"He’s the kind of corner that is most valuable to a team like the Patriots, who know how to put him in position to succeed. I don’t know if he’d have that much success elsewhere. So as we head into another Super Bowl it’s time to give Logan Ryan some credit and to make the case that he should be the biggest long-term contract priority this offseason."

Last edited:
Still prefer Harmon. Not to discredit Ryan's strides this year, but I don't think you need to break the bank for Harmon. Someone might overpay for either/both.

Gotta say, I went into this article with a pretty closed mind but it's very compelling. I think he's being overly hard on Hightower though. Also seems somewhat fallacious to list reasons the other FAs might not come back as reasons Ryan will. Seems like the argument he was trying to make or perhaps should have made is that the BPA mentality of the draft should apply here as well and Ryan may win out in that case (if you really want to drag Hightower down because of his injuries and lack of highlights).

I just don't know how we end up justifying paying both butler and Ryan. Butler has all the same strengths that Ryan has, but better in every category.

He may play on his qualifier tag this year, but then you are talking about 20mil for two corners, plus what you are paying mccourty and Chung and Rowe then up for a deal as well.

I agree with his points, and have made similar ones, but I'm just not sure if Ryan is irreplaceable, or just a great piece. At some point, you just have to let guys walk and hope to find cheap replacements elsewhere.

I just don't know how we end up justifying paying both butler and Ryan. Butler has all the same strengths that Ryan has, but better in every category.

He may play on his qualifier tag this year, but then you are talking about 20mil for two corners, plus what you are paying mccourty and Chung and Rowe then up for a deal as well.

I agree with his points, and have made similar ones, but I'm just not sure if Ryan is irreplaceable, or just a great piece. At some point, you just have to let guys walk and hope to find cheap replacements elsewhere.

Keep in mind that the Pats dont have to extend Butler for two more years. He will.get tendered this year and then can get tagged a year later unless he agrees to a favorable contract.

Pats have all the leverage.

They'll pay Butler and hope Jones is capable of stepping into Ryan's role in 2017 while, hopefully, getting better as a returner.

Ryan and Harmon are going to be offered starter money by some defense hungry team that wants to get a little bit of the Pats magic to rub off and excite their fanbase

Unless we're willing to copy the Broncos in paying 2 CBs top money, as well as a FS... I just don't see how we could economically keep Ryan.. He'll be paid AT LEAST as much as Vernon Davis on the Colts I think

I am happy to say that Ryan is a good Corner. I defended this guy for years, ever since he joined us. 4 years later, Logan Ryan developed into a good player.

And that's why he wont stay with us. BB realized that, in order to stay on top for so long, we cannot hang on to these good players when their contract is up. Those are the guys that inflate your cap.

The way i see it, the Patriots only let the great players stay. And most of them have to be a leader of the team as well. That's why we groom so many good players: Good foundation and leadership.

Ryan isn't a great player. He will demand more money than what the Patriots would find acceptable and he will walk, with (hopefully) 2 SB rings. And that's alright. Just like we made Ryan into a good player, others will come and they will be just as good in his place.

I'm a huge Ryan fan and have been.

Not sure he gets 4/36 mil like I think Jar of Mayo was speaking on tho? Vontae Davis I believe?

We have a great secondary and I want to get it that way. Id slightly over pay for him to keep this group together.

I bet Ryan gets 4 years $40 million, which the patriots won't match.

Keep in mind that the Pats dont have to extend Butler for two more years. He will.get tendered this year and then can get tagged a year later unless he agrees to a favorable contract.

For sure. It's just not a great practice to pay your second best corner significantly more than your best when they are both looking for new deals.

Butler has done and said everything right since getting here, I don't see much reason playing hardball with him. He is also on a tender deal, so he may be inclined to take someone else's money if he doesn't feel respected.

Gotta say, I went into this article with a pretty closed mind but it's very compelling. I think he's being overly hard on Hightower though. Also seems somewhat fallacious to list reasons the other FAs might not come back as reasons Ryan will. Seems like the argument he was trying to make or perhaps should have made is that the BPA mentality of the draft should apply here as well and Ryan may win out in that case (if you really want to drag Hightower down because of his injuries and lack of highlights).

...if not overwhelming. :p

Its very simple....

If he wants the mid/high end of CB2 money he stays

If he wants mid to top 25 CB1 money he is gone.

Like Miguel noted . it's in Pats best interest to extend Butler sooner than later if they are decided to keep him longterm. They have the leverage, but far from all of it.
___

@S-S: Always great to read MD. Good starting points to start the thread to think things over again.
___

Note: Pats did/will offer extensions to all mentioned players. So theoretically all can sign and stay.

Looking at the salary structure by positions its really hard to envision Ryan and Harmon staying. (DMC - Harmon situation is somewhat similar to Brady - Garoppolo). Much easier for Hightower even if he wants Kuechly's money.

The CB position is deep both in FA and draft (not including trade options with many teams reshuffling under new management). That might lower Ryan's price . or BB can find veteran substitution for good price.
___

There are lots of FAs expecting big contracts this year. They should know that the league average for $10M+ contracts is 2.2 per team .. and for $5-10M range 6. (See my post with complete table at: Building 2017 roster)

Not much space for top contracts. That's why BB always says he's not afraid of the market.

Last edited:
I think he is spot on about Hightower...I don't view him a difference-maker. I can't remember the last time he was disruptive. Don't get me wrong...solid player, but I suspect he will want $$$ and I don't view him as worth it

i think we can't really predict this offseason b/c we have so much cap room that BB can act in a way he's never acted before...and still be reasonable

Hey guys, it's Mike D, just wanted to say thanks for posting this here and I appreciate all the really good discussion, including the smart counter arguments. PatsFans was the first place on the internet I started getting Pats obsessed and will always have a special place in my heart. So many smart insightful fans here, it's always an honor when something I write sparks conversation here. I'm always kicking myself when I read the posts because you guys always come up with angles I didn't think of. So thank you! And LET'S GO PATS!

I think he is the Byron Maxwell of this defense, good and can be great inside the system that BB set up, but not so much by himself. Malcom Bulter however, is our Richard Sherman. We really do have the legion of boom lite if you think about it, DMC is our Earl Thomas, Pat Chung the improved version is our Kam Chancellor lite, with Harmon acting as a third safety, similar to how the Seahawks have Jeremy Lane acting as the third string DB.

Unless the case includes words to the effect of "Logan Ryan wants to stay in New England so desperately that he'll take scant pennies on the dollar to stay", there's really not a case to be made.

Same's true of Harmon, and even more so.

On one hand, apparently the draft is strong in DBs. So some teams may go cheap.

On the other hand, free agency for DBs is weak. Butler is the #1 option though an RFA. Trumaine Johnson was franchised last year but probably won't be again so he is probably the real #1 true free agent available. Some might rate A.J. Bouye higher than Ryan, but I don't think it's a slam dunk. Bouye had a very good season, but has less of an established track record.

Then you're looking at a bunch of former 1st-rounders who have flashed potential at times but never been consistent enough to get a big contract. From Stephon Gilmore to Dre Kirkpatrick to Prince Amukamara to Morris Claiborne, each come with question marks.

So Ryan will more than likely be a top free agent option for somebody. Janoris Jenkins got 5 years, $62.5M last year. I don't think Ryan is in that class, but with the rise in salary cap room and the lack of options, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a deal in the $9M-to $10M per year average.

Ryan's a great ballhawk, role player. Always has been. Butler they have to sign, though. If Ryan's offered the silly money mentioned in this thread, he should take it and make some team look foolish, cause he's not a #1 corner. I doubt he's offered, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe