PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Vrabel - Am I The Only One Who Thinks He Sucks as a Pass Rusher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
looked to me like he had his best year as a pass rusher.did you see any games ? i think thats what got to the pro bowl.STRIP SACKS. :rocker:

Those were coverage sacks. Anyways ... what do you think ... is vrabel a good pass rusher or not.:p

Come on! The Pats defense has and always will be about pressure from the front seven creating opportunities for the secondary. That is how Belichick has ran his defense since his Giants days. He doesn't neccessarily blitz or need to sack the QB, but Belichick is all about keeping the QB off-kilter with pressure.

Holy "slow news day" Batman. Christ almighty, aren't there some high spots on the paint on your walls you can finish sand? Hasn't that slightly dirty spot in the bathroom been bothering you enough to clean it? Jesus, nitpick a little more, huh? 12.5 Sacks and our "star" rusher went down later in the season and you're complaining? Being 10 yards behind the quarterback often means he's stuck with a 3 step drop and the inside 3 create the pressure, causing early throws. This just in, we lost the Superbowl, but we were still the best team in the league as far as talent goes, probably on both sides of the ball until Colvin went down. Stop trying to fix what wasn't broken and let's focus on the few areas we need to shore up with FA and the draft, not the winners we still have here. What's next, you going to complain that he hasn't caught a touchdown in a superbowl in a few years so we should trade him?

He's not a pass rusher, his over-blown, inflated sacks this season came against weaker RT's and he did it in spurts, there was no consistency at all.

He's a solid "all-around" OLB, but he definately is a mediocre pass rusher. If you put him on the other side where Rosie was and asked him to go against LT's he would have been invisible, he would have had his lunch eaten and might have gotten 4-5 sacks tops.

I have to disagree with this whole 'Vrabel not good pass rusher' statement. IMO, he deserves a lot more credit than people give him. A lot of times, he was pretty much only pass rusher from Pats side of the ball(at least until Thomas was switched to OLB spot). Teams were doubling him pretty much entire season, putting FB, TE and RB help on his side. And please, he really ain't one trick pony either. I've seen him bullrush, speedrush, pull stunts like DE etc. If other team knows you are primary pass rusher on your team, of course they'll do everything in their power to stop you.

One thing I'll agree on though is that his stats could have been better had defensive line played better. I think missing Seymour was huge. Not to mention losing out Colvin. Warren had so-so year. Give the man some credit.

It drives me crazy to hear Pass Rusher and Mike Vrabel linked together. he is flat out horrible IMO. 9.5 sacks against squat teams is a useless statistic. He has one move and only one move every snap ... the lower your shoulder bullrush to the QB. All season long he was driven 10 yards behind the QB play after play.

I think Vrabel is a great player and a damn fine linebacker ... but not as a pass rusher .. please .. I'd rather have vince wilfork bullrushing the QB ... at least he won't be 10 yards behind the QB play after play after play.

why does it bother me so much? It's like a player who is always on the ground ... you can't get into a play if your not in position to make a play. At least as an ILB Vrabel was in or near the play to make a play. But being 5-10 yards behind the QB play after play is no way to help your teamates after a pass or a run...not his fault either. He's doing what was asked of him ... but really ... I hope the pass rushing days of Mike vrabel are behind us for 2008-2009.

NUT, I don't know what you're taking but I don't want any.

Putting my Homer feelings aside. Vrabes is a good pass rusher. Sacks are one of the most useless stats,IMO. Varbs does a great job in setting the edge. Vrabs always seems to be in the picture PRESSURING the QB, that is the most important stat.

He didn't have a good SB and I'll give you that. However one game does not make an entire season.

So, I don't know where you thoughts are that he is not a good pass rusher. But I'll fight to defend your right to have such misguided thoughts.:cool:

Way to stir the pot, FBN! That was actually an enjoyable 3 pages of watching people's heads explode.

:)

Mike Vrabel is a very good pass rusher. It is unbelievable to me how many truly CRAPPY threads are currently in circulation. I really don't want to just b!tch about so many of them, but this is ludicrous.

:yeahthat: you're dead on.

There're many crappy threads. This is one. It's funny how they just talk
about Vrabs sacks ... what about the knock downs and pressures.
Did anyone notice Vrabs was double teamed at times?
But Pass rushing is just one of the things he does well.
This thread is crazy and even absurd. Maybe he's not one of the Top
pass rushers but he is very good.

Some games he may not been as effective but that happend to every top
rusher. Even Merriman and Freeney have days they cann't get to teh QB.
Vrabs is very good ... to question that is absurd. IMO

Whether you are the only one or not who thinks he sucks as a pass rusher doesn't matter, because you will still be wrong.

I'm sorry, but this Vrabel isn't a good pass rusher and his sacks came against weak competition is a lame argument. Vrabel did have more sacks than any Patriot since Andre Tippett in the 80s. That does mean something even if sacks are an overrated stat.

I doubt that Vrabel saw worse competition blocking him than McGinest in his prime, Slade those few years he was good, Colvin, and the rest of the Pats' best pass rushers since Tippett. Yet, Vrabel had more sacks than any of them. So the weak competition argument doesn't hold much weight.

Vrabel is a very good pass rusher. He can really disrupt the QB which is what Belichick wants more than sacks. He may not be a Dwight Freeney speed rush to the QB, but neither was McGinest. Both McGinest and Vrabel get/got pass rush by smart play like delayed rushes rather than bullrushing to the QB.

He was voted to the probowl because of his QB pressures so this thread is kind of confusing. Sure he's may get pushed 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage a lot, but so does everyone else. There could be 60 plays in one game and you expect him to get to get the QB every time?

I think Vrabel is a very good player. He is a SOLID pass rusher. There is a reason he went absolute ghost after Colvin went down. I agree that if you put Thomas/Vrabel on the outside, Vrabel will be more consistant. But when you think about it....The Patriots are in terrific position to draft a young stud pass rushing OLB in the draft. You then move Vrabel inside who has the size and the experience. He was good for us when we eneded him there in 2005, and I'm sure he would do it if Bill asked it of him. I think at this point, Vrabel is a good pass rusher. I think he is very valuable as an ILB though, JMO.

OT-I don't agree that Vrabel should stay on the outside, and if he does oh well. I just think a defense looking like Thomas/Seward?/Vrabel/Gholston? could look sick. The Patriots wouldn't have speed like that since the 03-04 seasons. Add Bruschi and Seau as backups/situational guys and suddenly they become very solid and deep at LB.

He was voted to the probowl because of his QB pressures so this thread is kind of confusing. Sure he's may get pushed 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage a lot, but so does everyone else. There could be 60 plays in one game and you expect him to get to get the QB every time?

again, a lot of those sacks were pre-Colvin injury.

He abused Steeler OL all day too. They aren't that good. But, he did have some big plays after Colvin. Went down. Don't forget leg whip on Rivers on Asante's pick:) Totally agree about the BS threads. I think a lot of the complainers lost money on the Super Bowl and ***** because of that. Not because they enjoy following the team.

its official half the people on this forum dont watch football!

"Vrabel sucks as a pass rusher" umm do you watch the games???

he gets consistent pressure and against big strong OL he continually gets pressure ont he QB. Watch the Skins, Eagles, and Dolphins games just for starters. I am so sick of these people on here using the "well those aren't good teams/players" Those "guys" are professional just like Vrabel and get paid to play too. they start for their team and are exceptional athletes otherwise they wouldnt be in the NFL. You morons expect every sack to be Ogden or name your Good OL. those are probowlers and dont let up sacks easily even to the best of pass rushers like the immortal Jason Taylor. God grow up please

He abused Steeler OL all day too. They aren't that good. But, he did have some big plays after Colvin. Went down. Don't forget leg whip on Rivers on Asante's pick:) Totally agree about the BS threads. I think a lot of the complainers lost money on the Super Bowl and ***** because of that. Not because they enjoy following the team.

I still think his game vs. the Steelers was his best game of the year. He was held on what looked like every play and he still cut off Roethlisberger's ability to roll right which forced him to stay in the pocket where he was far, far less effective.

One question. How many DE/OLBs got 12.5 sacks against even crap teams last year? If you're going to criticize who he got his sacks against, then what about other DEs who played those teams?

I count 5 out of a possible 128 (starters) that got more.
(2 DEs + 2 OLBs) x 32 teams

That only counts the starters. So how does he suck?

Last edited:
Let me add this. If Vrabel only got 3.5 sacks when Rosie was playing, he'd still have more sacks than Calvin Pace....you know, the guy lots of people wanted.:rolleyes:

One question. How many DE/OLBs got 12.5 sacks against even crap teams last year? If you're going to criticize who he got his sacks against, then what about other DEs who played those teams?

I count 5 out of a possible 128 (starters) that got more.
(2 DEs + 2 OLBs) x 32 teams

That only counts the starters. So how does he suck?

because he dissappears against good competition, elite teams, and only does good against scrubs usually. He can be upgraded without question. Groves or Gholston would probably put his butt on the bench or in retirement (probably not initially because he is BB's butt-buddy, but sooner rather than later). Ill take Jason Taylor for a 2nd-3rd over them all and draft a stud corner in DRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes